Formatting the clip+

If you do a format on the clip+ memory does it wipe out everything besides the media files including the entire file system? And then how do you rebuild the file system once the drive is wiped or is this done automatically?

If it’s like the Clip, it’s done automatically. 

There was another thread in which someone (I think neutron_bob) recommended that you use the Format function on the Clip’s menu itself, not the Windows disk format function.  I forget exactly why, but I think it had something to do with the way the memory’s file system was restructured.

@promisedplanet wrote:

There was another thread in which someone (I think neutron_bob) recommended that you use the Format function on the Clip’s menu itself, not the Windows disk format function.  I forget exactly why, but I think it had something to do with the way the memory’s file system was restructured.

That is fine but does a format wipe out the existing internal file system as well?? And if that is the case is it rebuilt automatically by the clip onboard OS itself upon restart? A format is a complete wipe of all data off a disc usually. I just don’t want to format and then say oh crap what did I do? I can find nothing in the online users manual that explains this other than that it deletes your data.

Message Edited by hy_tek on 09-04-2009 02:09 PM

@hy_tek wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

That is fine but does a format wipe out the existing internal file system as well?? And if that is the case is it rebuilt automatically by the clip onboard OS itself upon restart? A format is a complete wipe of all data off a disc usually. I just don’t want to format and then say oh crap what did I do? I can find nothing in the online users manual that explains this other than that it deletes your data.

Message Edited by hy_tek on 09-04-2009 02:09 PM

Neither a Clip format nor a Windows format will wipe out the firmware, or damage the file system.  It will just erase the data.  At least that was my experience with the Clip.  :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help.