Format Command in clip menu - does what, exactly?

I have a 2gb that is going to change owners (to my daughter).  The owners manual pdf (at least what I’ve seen) never describes the usage or purpose of the FORMAT command under the Settings menu.

What does it do?  I’m hoping just to wipe out all songs before letting my daughter sync it up, so the flash starts life over as cleanly as possible.  Does format merely erase music?  And leave modes, firmware, etc alone?

I’m really not interested in using the computer to format, and getting mixed up in USB modes, DOS commands, firmware updates, yada yada.

Just someone please explain or point to the documentation of the Format command on the clip Settings menu.

thx

Dave

@dwsansa wrote:

I have a 2gb that is going to change owners (to my daughter).  The owners manual pdf (at least what I’ve seen) never describes the usage or purpose of the FORMAT command under the Settings menu.

What does it do?  I’m hoping just to wipe out all songs before letting my daughter sync it up, so the flash starts life over as cleanly as possible.  Does format merely erase music?  And leave modes, firmware, etc alone?

I’m really not interested in using the computer to format, and getting mixed up in USB modes, DOS commands, firmware updates, yada yada.

Just someone please explain or point to the documentation of the Format command on the clip Settings menu.

thx

Dave

Yes. It also deletes videos and pictures. It doesn’t affect the firmware, but I don’t know if it erases user settings.

Edit: Ignore what I said about pics and videos. I was thinking of other Sansas that DO support those media types.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 04-25-2009 07:30 PM