Formatting ReadyCache for use as boot drive

I bought a 32GB ReadyCache on Cyber Monday not knowing it is intended to supplement an existing HDD.

After endlessly trying to format the drive to GPT with ext4 to no avail, I sent a question to Sandisk Support.

They said the drive can be used as a standalone drive after it’s formatted. So, my question is how can I do this and what am I doing wrong?

Each time I create a partition table with a formatted partition I get on the error:

Unable to detect file system! Possible reasons are:

• The file system is damaged

• The file system is uknown to GParted

• There is no file system avaliable (unformatted)

• The device entry /dev/sdc1 is missing

Whether I format it to GPT or MBR with ext4, ext2 or Fat32

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You!

the ssd is simply a normal ssd and can be used like any other ssd. if formatting is failing it is possible the ssd is bad. from your email i assume you are using linux which i cant help much with. do you ahve anything else i.e. a windows or mac computer to try to format the drive in?

vaaaaaaaaarney : exactly the same here: I bought a 32GB ReadyCache on Cyber Monday not knowing it is intended to supplement an existing HDD. So i decided to format it - as a standard drive - with linux (aptosid or siduction = debian sid ) 1.) gparted (as root) 2.) vfat (fat32) 3.) . . . if there is a prob at 1.) fdisk -l (L) as root and: mount /dev/sdxx /mnt (xx=a1 or so) I am now happy with the SandDisk ReadyCache32GB ! But: QUESTION: how can i update/check my ssd firmware/bios VERSION (because of: other ssd are always developed with monthly-new bios/firmware) is there any around at SandDisk downloads ? …or is it like : SandDisk firmware: SanDisk-ULTRA 32GB ??? IS the 32GB-SandDisk ReadyCache-SSD a SanDisk-ULTRA32GB-SSD or so ???

If you have Windows installed you can use the sandisk SSD tool kit or FW updates for all other OS the FW updates will be posted on this board as well. To date there has not been a FW update for the ReadyCache SSD