Folder Mode

Hello All,

I’m looking for a new mp3 player, and I like the look of the Clip+. I’d use it exclusively in folder mode, which I realise is a ‘new addition’ (compared to the clip).

There seem to be a few posts on here about problems with folder mode, but they mostly seem to be from people doing complicated things. (DRM’d audiobooks, and playlists, and syncing with WMP etc.) I’m hoping that if I set the clip+ to always use MSC mode, and just transfer mp3 files on and off with windows explorer, then it will all work fine.

Is this right? Does anyone on here actually use their clip+ like this? Any issues with it?

Cheers,

Ian.

Ian,

I use my Clip+ like this.  It’s one of the reasons I switched from Apple and got this player.  I store all of my music in folders on my computer by artist, album, etc.  Half of them don’t have the proper tags, so in an iPod I can never find the ones I’m looking for since they aren’t named, which is why I love Folder Mode.  Plug in my Clip+, drag and drop the files, and browse by folder and file name.  It’s perfect.

Matt

Thanks for that. I’ll go and order one now :slight_smile:

Indeed!  You can have complete control if desired, using the Mode of Sansa Champions!  (Love that!)

Drag and drop simplicity and folder navigation are quite handy.

Bob  :wink:

The Folder view works fairly well, but it has its quirks.  It is driven by the ID Tags, which I would really prefer not to deal with.  If you create your own folders inside the built-in folders, things get weird.  And Folder mode isn’t the default, and can’t be set as a default… so there’s a lot of extra button-pressing.

Folder mode works perfectly for me, it’s just the same as folders/subfolders work on my pc. What do you mean it is driven my ID tags, I think that you’re mistaken there? I’ve never had anything wierd happen in folder mode, I use it exclusively.

Hello…I just got my Clip+ yesterday and have a folder question. I created an ELO folder and now want to add more folders…like QUEEN. No problem, but I wonder if I select Shuffle, will songs play from all folders, or is there a way to specify which folder or folders to do Shuffle plays from.

Thank you all.

@pbar wrote:
Folder mode works perfectly for me, it’s just the same as folders/subfolders work on my pc. What do you mean it is driven my ID tags, I think that you’re mistaken there? I’ve never had anything wierd happen in folder mode, I use it exclusively.

I only use “podcast mode”, where the player will keep bookmarks on every track you play.  I have noticed that if I create subfolders inside the Podcast folder, that Podcast mode stops working.  It treats everything as a music file.  Others have written here that this might be due to the “tag database” getting confused.  Of course we are all just guessing.

@mpsan wrote:

Hello…I just got my Clip+ yesterday and have a folder question. I created an ELO folder and now want to add more folders…like QUEEN. No problem, but I wonder if I select Shuffle, will songs play from all folders, or is there a way to specify which folder or folders to do Shuffle plays from.

Thank you all.

ELO and Queen -cool, two of my favourite ever groups! :smiley:

I just got a QUEEN in FLAC, too. Geeze it is big, but it sounds great!

Message Edited by MPSAN on 03-22-2010 01:27 PM

I use artist mode in my fuze. Is the clip differant? I don’t understand the advantages of the differant modes.

In folder mode, you can play the music by folder, as the music files have been put and organized in the files.

In folder mode, you can play the music by folder, as the music files have been put and organized in the folders.  

There seems to be a bug with the folder mode. When the last file in a folder is done playing the player doesn’t continue to the next folder. It just keeps on repeating the files in the current folder. So far the Clip+ has been a big dissapointment.

Message Edited by sedsberg on 05-04-2010 07:09 PM

sedsberg wrote:
There seems to be a bug with the folder mode. When the last file in a folder is done playing the player doesn’t continue to the next folder. It just keeps on repeating the files in the current folder. So far the Clip+ has been a big dissapointment.

I doubt this is a bug. More likely it’s the way it was designed to work. You tell it to play a folder. It plays a folder. Task done, case closed. You have to tell it to play another folder after that. It can’t read your mind after all; it doesn’t know if you want to continue to the next folder or if you have something else in mind.

Computers are stupid. They will only do what you tell them to, nothing more. :wink:

Tapeworm wrote:

sedsberg wrote:

I doubt this is a bug. More likely it’s the way it was designed to work. You tell it to play a folder. It plays a folder. Task done, case closed. You have to tell it to play another folder after that. It can’t read your mind after all; it doesn’t know if you want to continue to the next folder or if you have something else in mind.

Computers are stupid. They will only do what you tell them to, nothing more. :wink:

Agreed…if you want it to keep playing, choose “Play All” in the regular menu, not the Folder menu. If the repeat function is off, then it will play through everything that is on the player.

Elementary, my dear Watson!

This is not how it works on my 3 previous MP3-players and two other MP3-players I have. There I browse folder to a file, start playing it and it continues through all the folders. Unless you choose “repeat folder” in the repeat-menu.

If I want to start playing at a specific file with the Clip+ I have to choose “play all” when at the root and then scroll down to that file. If I have 1000 MP3s I may have to scroll through up to 500 files. Quite a pain compared to finding it directly in the right folder, like on normal MP3-players (like Iriver T10 or Cowon S9.

sedsberg wrote:

This is not how it works on my 3 previous MP3-players and two other MP3-players I have. There I browse folder to a file, start playing it and it continues through all the folders. Unless you choose “repeat folder” in the repeat-menu.

If I want to start playing at a specific file with the Clip+ I have to choose “play all” when at the root and then scroll down to that file. If I have 1000 MP3s I may have to scroll through up to 500 files. Quite a pain compared to finding it directly in the right folder, like on normal MP3-players (like Iriver T10 or Cowon S9.

Why would you have to scroll through hundreds of files? Shorten the path by going the Artist, then album, route…it would take about the same amount oof time as scrlling through your list of folders. Unless your files don’t have ID3 tags…is that it?

“Normal” is very much a relative term …

Miikerman wrote:
“Normal” is very much a relative term …

Hmmmm . . . none of my relatives are normal. :neutral_face: