Folder Mode

Tapeworm wrote:

Miikerman wrote:
“Normal” is very much a relative term …

Hmmmm . . . none of my relatives are normal. :neutral_face:

Maybe they are and you aren’t? :dizzy_face::stuck_out_tongue:

Yup, that’s it. And by selecting album/artist I’m out of folder mode.

If the interface was like the old iRiver-players the Clip+ would propably been as close to perfect you could get. It’s a great player, it’s just that one thing I really wanted that doesn’t work quite as it ought to. But it seems no players support folder mode at all these days.

There has been a great deal of progress lately in porting the Clips to the alternative Rockbox firmware–which have folder advance. 

There has been a great deal of progress lately in porting the Clips to the alternative Rockbox firmware–which have folder advance.  My hunch is you would like the firmware, and its options. 

I think there is a bug in Folder Mode.  I copied a folder to my Clip+ (MSC mode) and it showed just fine in Windows Explorer.  But after I disconnected the player from my computer, it did not list that folder, but put the tracks belonging to that folder in another one.  I spent hours on the phone with SanDisk tech support, and eventually they told me that, according to the supervisor, folders are not supported.

They then said that I could use playlists to accomplish the same purpose, and explained how to go through WMP, etc.  I give them credit for spending time with me, but it seems to me that a simpler solution is to edit the Album title to provide a unique identifier for each folder.  (You can edit all the files in a folder at once using foobar2000 or another editor.)  Instead of going to Folders, I go to Albums; the functionality is equivalent.  It works for me!

Mark

Support is wrong–folders are supported.

How many files do you have on the player–are you near full?  Sometimes, weird things can happen with full/near full players.  

If the files have id tags setup, the clip will organize by those. Sounds like the id album name on your new file was same as an existing album name. Check in folder view.