FLAC problem on playback

Using 8g Fuze with FLAC is driving me crazy. Tried Media Monkey - it does FLAC bad and won’t play in many different machines. FreeRip does FLAC easy with auto tags. The Fuze shows these tags but won’t play the songs. It just shows time 00:00 and skips to next track and so on till the end. These files play fine on the computer and my Western Digital home player. The only ripper that has worked for Fuze so far is FLAC front end. But that doesn’t do tags (that I can find). Help?

thanks

barondla

love the Fuze.

@barondla wrote:

Using 8g Fuze with FLAC is driving me crazy. Tried Media Monkey - it does FLAC bad and won’t play in many different machines. FreeRip does FLAC easy with auto tags. The Fuze shows these tags but won’t play the songs. It just shows time 00:00 and skips to next track and so on till the end. These files play fine on the computer and my Western Digital home player. The only ripper that has worked for Fuze so far is FLAC front end. But that doesn’t do tags (that I can find). Help?

thanks

barondla

love the Fuze.

Have you tried to convert with Front end and then tag with Freerip? And then Drag and drop to transfer?

Interesting…I did some Pink Floyd FLAC rips with MediaMonkey a while back, and they played fine on my Fuze and Clip,from what I remember. If I had an extra microsdhc card kicking around , I would add them to it and give it another whirl. However, I’ve got less than 150 MB free on the Fuze as is, so that will have to wait. :wink:

@conversionbox wrote:

@barondla wrote:

thanks

barondla

love the Fuze.

Have you tried to convert with Front end and then tag with Freerip? And then Drag and drop to transfer?

It won’t work in that order.  There is a problem somewhere with freerip’s FLAC engine.  I got FLAC’s to work on the fuze with freerip by ripping/tagging with freerip and correcting the tags with the FLAC front-end.  Of course, I was doing this just as a test.  This is one added step in the process.

The FLAC front end makes tags itself by clicking the “add tags” box on the main screen.  Then I usually run all my files through MP3Tag or Tag and Rename to embed cover art and make the tags exactly the way I want them.

Are you ripping from cd? I use EAC/flac and tags seem to work okay and all works well on my 8gb Fuze +16gb card.

@joechip wrote:
Are you ripping from cd? I use EAC/flac and tags seem to work okay and all works well on my 8gb Fuze +16gb card.

EAC and FLAC Front End work fine.  But there is a known issue with freerip’s FLAC process.  

Tried ripping with FreeRip (FLAC) then opening in FLAC frontend. Said it could only convert wav files. How do you get it to do anything else? FLAC is supposed to be a “standard” but there sure seem to be alot of problems with companies using it correctly. Never had so much problem with MP3 (of course can’t stand the sound of it).

thanks

barondla

@barondla wrote:

Tried ripping with FreeRip (FLAC) then opening in FLAC frontend. Said it could only convert wav files. How do you get it to do anything else? FLAC is supposed to be a “standard” but there sure seem to be alot of problems with companies using it correctly. Never had so much problem with MP3 (of course can’t stand the sound of it).

thanks

barondla

I wouldn’t mess with freerip at all; it’s going to cause you more problems than it’s worth.

I personally use EAC which allows you to rip and encode to FLAC in one process; and since it connects to freedb, the tags will be pretty accurate.  Of course, if they aren’t to your liking our want embedded cover art, you can always refine your tags later with MP3Tag or another tagging program of your choice.

I don’t know if you have found a solution to your problem, but I did stumble across a free ripper/encoder that works fine in tests I have performed with my clips and fuzes.  It supports flac, wav, mp3, ogg and among other formats.

It’s called express rip and you can find it here

EAC+REACT is my preferred option, but there’s a bit of a learning curve.

Have you tried Winamp?  The free version will rip/encode FLAC.  The only downside is ripping speed is throttled in the free version, but it should work.  Winamp’s FLAC implementation is quite good.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 03-30-2009 03:49 PM

@skinjob wrote:

EAC+REACT is my preferred option, but there’s a bit of a learning curve.

Have you tried Winamp?  The free version will rip/encode FLAC.  The only downside is ripping speed is throttled in the free version, but it should work.  Winamp’s FLAC implementation is quite good.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 03-30-2009 03:49 PM

Winamp does a great job of creating FLAC’s with proper tags.  It’s one of the more capable programs for creating FLAC’s.