Problems with FLAC and blank tracks

I am unsure of how to word this problem, so if it has already been covered I apologize.

I am trying to load a mix of FLAC and MP3 onto my Fuze. I have all songs sorted into folders by artist then album. The tags of some FLACs are recognized while others are not. They’ve all been edited by the newest version of WinAmp.

I wondered if the naming scheme of the files made a difference, so I re-named them. This wasn’t the problem, but it revealed another problem where once a file is put on the Fuze, any manipulation of that file is not recognized. If I re-name it, the Fuze simply sees the old file name. It can still play it, though.

If I delete the file, the Fuze recognizes SOMETHING. Whatever is there appears as a blank artist, album, and track on the Fuze. If I try to play the lost files, it simply skips over them until reaching another file that is fully “there.” If I try and delete these phantom files, the player freezes until eventually turning itself off. The phantom items are represented by seemingly random characters. One time, they were “+” signs, and two other times they were “>” and “=”.

I tried to edit the Fuze’s contents in Rhapsody, but it doesn’t recognize FLAC, so that’s useless.

I’m not sure how this applies, but in those very same folders containing the FLAC files whose tags are not recognized, I am not allowed to add anything else to the folder.

If I try and create a new folder it says “The new folder could not be created in this location. The device has either stopped responding of has been disconnected.”

And if I try to add a file, for example folder.jpg, it says “folder.jpg could not be placed on the device. You do not have permission to create this item.”

I hope this further sheds light on my problem.

Wow… where to start… what mode is your Fuze in? Auto-Screwup Defect detect, MSC, MTP?

What OS are you using?

What version of OS?

What service pack?

What are you using to rename the files?

How are you deleting the files? The OS or the Fuze?

Do you have MP3Tag or EasyTag?

(See I can play nice and do the 20 questions thing with people that ignore the FAQ thread… it near on killed me and now I need a nap but I did it)

Thanks a bunch for your response, Hazza.

I’m in Auto Detect.

I’m WinXP Service Pack 2.

I’m using Windows Explorer to rename.

I’m using Explorer to delete the files.

I do not have either, but I’m planning on getting one after reading so many threads about them.

After your comment about Auto Detect, I went and changed it to MSC. It brings the Fuze up as a drive, now, as opposed to a media player. Now Windows Explorer says that the “Music” directory is empty.

I also apologize if it seems like I didn’t read the FAQ. I did. The fact that I did not mention my OS and Service Pack was a simple oversight. I also did not think to change my USB mode because I was having no problems connecting and seeing files.

Message Edited by amartincolby on 02-04-2009 09:50 AM

@amartincolby wrote:

After your comment about Auto Detect, I went and changed it to MSC. It brings the Fuze up as a drive, now, as opposed to a media player. Now Windows Explorer says that the “Music” directory is empty.

Files loaded in MTP mode, will not display under MSC mode.   And viscaversa.  

Do all your tag / file name edits on the computer, then copy and replace the files to the Fuze (in MTP),  not sure about MSC.

When you delete a song.  You are disconnecting the Fuze, and it updates its database?   But you still see the name in the play menu?  The Fuze makes a database and displays it for selection,   I think it might be corrupt.     A format and reloading your music should fix it.

Cheers,

Try MediaMonkey for editing FLAC file tags.

Many thanks for all of the responses.

I’ve been experimenting with my problems. The FLAC tagging issue was solved by editing all of the tags in either MediaMonkey or Mp3Tag. I don’t know why WinAmp wasn’t playing nice, but the other two programs both successfully tagged FLAC files. I’m still having an issue with WMA tracks not playing, but that’s for another thread.

I set it to MSC mode after formatting the player. Niko_Sama, I assumed that a database or FAT of some sort was being corrupted, but didn’t know what to do. The Fuze did indeed update its media with every disconnect. I also was totally puzzled by how renaming a file in Explorer while in MTP mode didn’t seem to prevent the player from finding the correct file and playing it.

While the actual cause of these issues remains a mystery, the switch to MSC mode appears to have solved that issue. Editing the devices contents in Explorer in MTP mode is apparently a very bad idea. Now that I’m in MSC mode, I can freely edit files while they are on the Fuze and it updates and recognizes all media correctly. After a system format to clear out the junk, I have no more phantom tracks and everything works correctly.

Importantly, the device is no longer saying that I can’t do things for lack of permission or because the device is somehow not there.

All in all, then, I think my problems are fixed. Thanks all!

@amartincolby wrote:
Many thanks for all of the responses.

I’ve been experimenting with my problems. The FLAC tagging issue was solved by editing all of the tags in either MediaMonkey or Mp3Tag. I don’t know why WinAmp wasn’t playing nice, but the other two programs both successfully tagged FLAC files. I’m still having an issue with WMA tracks not playing, but that’s for another thread.

I set it to MSC mode after formatting the player. Niko_Sama, I assumed that a database or FAT of some sort was being corrupted, but didn’t know what to do. The Fuze did indeed update its media with every disconnect. I also was totally puzzled by how renaming a file in Explorer while in MTP mode didn’t seem to prevent the player from finding the correct file and playing it.

While the actual cause of these issues remains a mystery, the switch to MSC mode appears to have solved that issue. Editing the devices contents in Explorer in MTP mode is apparently a very bad idea. Now that I’m in MSC mode, I can freely edit files while they are on the Fuze and it updates and recognizes all media correctly. After a system format to clear out the junk, I have no more phantom tracks and everything works correctly.

Importantly, the device is no longer saying that I can’t do things for lack of permission or because the device is somehow not there.

All in all, then, I think my problems are fixed. Thanks all!

The tag issue was probably ID3.  Currently only Vorbis Comment style tags are supported for Ogg/FLAC.  You probably had ID3 tags on the FLAC files.  I’m pretty sure you can set Winamp to not write ID3 to FLAC and Ogg files.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 02-06-2009 01:39 PM