Firmware essentials fixes please

Hi, I was a owner of the sansa clip+ and I was happy with it. (Except for battery life)

Now, I have this new SanDisk Clip Sport and I’m disappointed with these few things:

• Folder menu order, it’s not alphabetical, in fact is totally random. Please Fix this.

• Folder menu, lacks the option “Play All”, please add this feature.

• Card Menu database. Really? 2000 items for a card of 32 GB or even 64GB, SanDisk tell us what this is a “desing limitation” but you don’t fool anybody, in firmware 1.09 the limit is 4000 items (still short) and database build don’t take so much time or so much size, it’s totally possible give us more room, so please give us more database capability, at least 5000 for 32 GB and 9999 for 64 GB.

I know i’m not the only one who consider this issues like a main problem, and I know all this is fixable via firmware update, so please, pretty please, SanDisk Fix this.

Sorry for my english.

Unfortunately, tech. limitations have resulted in database limitations.  Unlikely that that can be improved (without other sacrifices).   :frowning:

Disagree. Just needs ‘sparse’ array design with pointer to secondary array for songs/albums with longer titles. Should easily do 3840 or higher, with no increase of memory use.

@david6 wrote:
Disagree. Just needs ‘sparse’ array design with pointer to secondary array for songs/albums with longer titles. Should easily do 3840 or higher, with no increase of memory use.

Maybe you should apply at SanDisk to be on their f/w development team. You would either learn why this can’t feasibly be done, or you might teach them a few things. :laughing:

@david6 wrote:

@david6 wrote:

Ain’t likely gonna happen, even if possible (and as Tapeworm notes, perhaps you need to have a sitdown with SanDisk). . . .  The fact that it wasn’t implemented in the first firmware update seems a pretty good signal.

@david6 wrote:

Their design seems to be something like that, with longer text field reducing the database size even further, at least on the other Sandisk players.  

What I never understood is why they didn’t handle this like we did in rockbox on low memory devices.  Just store the data on the flash memory and load it when you need it. 

Can anyone provide any parameters? I have two each of Clip Sport, Clip Zip, and Sansa Fuze+ currently.

What limits do they have (stared and actual) for number of songs, albums, and length of track / album title?

Does anyone know what memory is onboard each model? This is not a storage issue, just processing power and runtime memory lmitations.

PS. I have spent 30 years in software design and 15 in info security, with at least 10 of that overlapping in R&D (IRAD) for embedded design for security devices (banking, access control, and retail transaction technology). My only restrant is time, but I could probably provide code or a straight forward design (to solve this issue) in less than a month. :smiley:

Regards from Canberra AUSTRALA, in the deep of winter at the moment.