File names being changed

@britany wrote:

@drlucky wrote:

autobackup has to change the file name so it xender discord omegle  can do incremental backups. any file that was backed up using auto backup you would need to go to each one and manually rename the file.

You can you the copy files option to manually select and copy the files from the iOS device to the iXpand and the original file names will be retained. 

the app changes the file hame to some long gibberish name like 83X27022-C3ED-48E9-D17$L0$001-photo.JPG.  I have turned off automatic backup but that did not correct the issue.  Any help?  Am I overlooking something obvious?   Thanks

autobackup has to change the file name so it can do incremental backups. any file that was backed up using auto backup you would need to go to each one and manually rename the file.

@maytonh wrote:

I am a new user, but tried searching first for the solution.  When I take a photo on my iphone, the file name is something like IMG_1234.JPG.  But when I copy that photo to the iXpand the app changes the file hame to some long gibberish name like 83X27022-C3ED-48E9-D17$L0$001-photo.JPG.  I have turned off automatic backup but that did not correct the issue.  Any help?  Am I overlooking something obvious?   Thanks

I would like to inform you that  In the latest iXpand Drive app release we have changed the functionality of manual file copies. When a file is copied the file name will be changed. We will share your feedback with the product team. We strive to improve our products and functionality and your feedback is extremely valuable

So this has been fixed then? On auto back up or just manual copy?

I’m just starting to try to sort through hundreds of video files I took on a month long road trip over the summer that I’ll never be able to get back in order. I can not believe someone would be so incompetent not to realize what a disaster this would be.

Thank you so much! This fixed the whole problem!!

I was so annoyed by the weird naming …

The problem with changing of filenames by the ixpand app still persist.

When doing ‘Backup’, filenames are gibberish
When doing ‘Copy’, filenames are still changed with ‘photo’ text-string inserted in filename, this addition is superfluous.

Why are filenames changed in the first place?

The new filenames affects the manner in which image files are retrieved by name. The create/modified date stamps are not actually reliable for retrieving by images by date as it can change (unless retrieval is done via metadata dates), The actions of the ixpand app renders the flash drive useless as a backup device because of the huge inconvenience imposed on users on retrieving image files.

I purchased a flash drive from another company to back up my wife’s iPhone. It stopped working and so I bought a SanDisk flash drive. After doing a backup to SanDisk I now discover that it has arbitrarily changed all of the file names of the photos. SanDisk advertizing did not reveal this major defect and I am frustrated that I was deceived. I would not have purchased the flash drive had I known this.

I know your post is from 2018, but I just saw it and I did the same thing, stopped using the SanDisk and bought a iDiskk and it is great