Feature Request: Sticky sleep setting.

Is there a way to make the sleep setting “stick”?

Or does it reset after each power off?

Generally, I can’t predict how long it’s going to take me tofall asleep.  If I’m not quite there yet andthe player turns off before I fallasleep, I can’t just turn it back on and continue falling asleep.  I have wake up, open my eyes, to turn it on, navigate tothe sleep setting set it, then try to fall asleep again.

With my old player (Creative Zen) the setting was sticky, soI didn’t have to wake up to set the sleep setting again.  Just hit the power button to turn it back on  relax knowing that it would turn itself off again.  AND I could do this with my eye closed…literally.

Am I missing something?

Ken. 

Message Edited by kwm00re on 05-14-2010 08:17 AM

kwm00re wrote:

Is there a way to make the sleep setting “stick”? No.

Or does it reset after each power off? Yes.

The sleep function is so poorly implemented in the Clip+, it really makes me mad.

It takes about 10 button presses to navigate to it.  Just what you need when you’re half asleep.

Of course, it wouldn’t even be needed if the Clip+ supported a “play one track and stop mode” like the Creative does.

As someone else suggested here, you could create a Go List of that one song (or however many you want)–and then the player will shut down after the last song in the list, right?  Something for you to check out?

I only listen to podcasts and I don’t think the Go list works with podcasts.  If I am wrong, please correct me.

Message Edited by melman on 05-13-2010 06:43 AM

Did you try it?

If it doesn’t work, an alternative would be to set the podcasts’ genre to something other than Podcast and/or not store the podcasts in the Clip’s Podcasts folder, and then try.

@tapeworm wrote:

@kwm00re wrote:

Is there a way to make the sleep setting “stick”? No.

Or does it reset after each power off? Yes.

That sucks.  Feature request!

melman wrote: 

Of course, it wouldn’t even be needed if the Clip+ supported a “play one track and stop mode” like the Creative does.

Miikerman wrote: 
As someone else suggested here, you could create a Go List of that one song (or however many you want)–and then the player will shut down after the last song in the list, right?  Something for you to check out?

Having trouble understanding how this helps.  Couldn’t I also just listen to an album/folder/genre and the player would turn off once it had worked through all the tracks (assuming I didn’t have repeat turned on).

When re-starting the player (1/2 asleep), wouldn’t it  start the go list/songs/books/podcast over from the beginning?

Seems like a weak solution to something that should be easy.

@melman wrote:

The sleep function is so poorly implemented in the Clip+, it really makes me mad.

It takes about 10 button presses to navigate to it.  Just what you need when you’re half asleep.

Agreed. I just counted -it’s actually about 15…  alot of work when you are half asleep.

1 - power
2 - home
3 - nav to SETTINGS
4 - Right
5 - Up to SYSTEM SETTTING
6 - Right
7 - Down
8 - Down to SLEEP
9 - Right
10 - 11, 12 - Right, Right, Right to select 30 minutes
13 - Centre
14 - Up to select YES CONFIRM
15 - Center

+1 for the feature request.

It’s been some months since this thread was active but I’d like to add my support for having the sleep setting remain set after the player is turned off. At least make it an option “Automatically reset sleep settings: Yes/No”

It’s a pain having to reprogram this every time, especially in the middle of the night when I’m trying to get to sleep. I can see how some people would want the non-sticky way - hence why it should be optional.

The problem for me is that sometimes I’m still awake when the player shuts down. I’d like to be able to just turn it back on and get another 20 minutes (say) of play time (as I used to do on my old Creative player). But with my Clip+ I have to turn the player on, navigate back to the settings menu, and reconfigure the sleep timer. That’s enough to really bring me out of my semi-slumber. Sure, I could use a longer sleep setting but I prefer the shortest setting I can get away with, so the audio gets me into sleep but doesn’t wake me up again.

Message Edited by mackiest on 08-02-2010 10:53 AM

I finally found a solution for a “sticky” sleep setting- you need to load the rockbox build here. Now when you turn on the player after it has gone to sleep it will go back to sleep with out any button pushes!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Wicked.  Thanks for that.  

As far as this tread goes, I guess this is a solution of sorts, so I’m going to “accept” it and give this thread a green tick.

I hope they include this functionality in the next Rockbox build OR Sandisk makes this change in their next firmware.  

Thanks again!

Ken

I have read numerous requests/comments in various places regarding having a ‘Sticky Sleep Timer’, and I have to admit that it is probably the one single thing that would make my Clip+ absolutely perfect.

The ability to simply turn it on and have it play for another 30mins (or whatever) after it has timed out and shut off would be like heaven to me - sometimes it takes a bit longer to fall asleep, eh? Not having to navigate through menus with sleepy eyes, or memorize exactly what buttons to push would be great.

The sleep timer and the bookmark function are invaluable when you like to fall asleep with an audiobook.

I understand the need for keeping things simple, but giving the sleep-timer an optional ‘hard’ setting would be a great feature for those who indeed like to use the sleep timer.

Put me down for a big plus 1 on this FEATURE REQUEST.

Any chance that this could happen? I would love a firmware update.

1 Like

I fixed this very frustrating problem by loading Rockbox.  However Rockbox has very poor radio reception - regular popping noise that can only be fixed by navigating away from the radio home screen, and then you can’t adjust the volume.

My experience of this product has been pretty poor, although at least I have finally got it working.

Back to Creative next time though!!

Gavin

The lack of this feature (which I had come to rely on with the Sansa Express) led me to use RockBox.  But RockBox does not allow skipping to the next track in “repeat one” mode.  I thus cannot use the Clip+ for the intended purpose of listening to audiobooks (broken into 6-minute segments) while I fall asleep.

I would like to see permanent sleep settings as a feature on the Clip+ version.