Extreme PRO SSD not compatible with iPhone 15 / iOS 17

I recently bought an iPhone 15 Pro Max and wanted to use both of my Sandisk Extreme Pro 2TB SSDs for recording video straight to SSD.

Unfortunately, I’ve discovered they’re not compatible with the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

If I run “Disk Test by Magic Benchmark”, the write test never completes to 100% - it will either lock the system or hang anywhere between 10 and 80%, and I have to unplug the SSD.
When I plug it back in, it’s not recognised.

I have two of these drives and one is recognised in the “Files” app, but still hangs when trying to write to it, and the other is only recognised AFTER the other drive has been plugged in and unplugged.

Using the Camera app, I can record less than two minutes of footage at 4k 60fps ProRes LOG before the iphone freezes completely and won’t unfreeze until I unplug the Sandisk SSD.

I’ve just bought a Samsung T7 to compare, so I can see if its my phone at fault, but that works absolutely fine.

The Sandisk SSDs also work fine on my Macbook, but just not on iPhone 15.

I’ve seen videos on youtube with people using Sandisk Extreme SSDs, but not with the Extreme PRO SSDs…

It seems there is a compatibility issue here - since I have two that don’t work.

3 Likes

Hi @Junction10 ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:

1 Like

Tengo el mismo problema, pero el disco de 1 Tera si funciona
I have the same problem, but the 1 Tera disk works

It looks like there may be a compatibility issue between the Sandisk Extreme Pro SSDs and the iPhone 15 Pro Max, since you’re experiencing issues with both drives. Incomplete write tests and a freezing issue during video recording indicate that the iPhone 15 Pro Max cannot handle the high data transfer speeds required by Sandisk Extreme Pro SSDs.

The fact that the Samsung T7 performs well on your iPhone 15 Pro Max further supports the concept of compatibility rumors with Sandisk Extreme Pro SSDs. There could be a software bug or hardware limitation on the side of the iPhone 15 Pro Max that is causing this problem. You can talk to Sandisk’s customer support team or Apple and inform them about the compatibility issues you’re experiencing with the Sandisk Extreme Pro SSDs and the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

It appears there might be a compatibility issue between the Sandisk Extreme PRO 2TB SSDs and the iPhone 15 Pro Max. The symptoms you’re describing, such as the write test hanging, the system freezing, and the drives not being recognized consistently, suggest that the iPhone is having difficulty communicating with the SSDs. This could be due to a software issue with iOS 17 or a hardware incompatibility between the specific SSD model and the iPhone’s USB-C port.

The fact that the Samsung T7 works fine with your iPhone suggests that the issue is likely specific to the Sandisk Extreme PRO SSDs. However, it’s still worth checking for any software updates on both the iPhone and the SSDs to rule out any potential software-related issues.

If you’ve already tried updating the software and the problem persists, then it’s likely a hardware compatibility issue. In this case, you may need to wait for a software update from Apple or SanDisk that addresses the compatibility issue. You could also try contacting SanDisk customer support to see if they have any known solutions or workarounds for this issue.

In the meantime, you can use the Samsung T7 as an alternative for recording video straight to an external SSD.

the fact is iphone 15pro and iphone 15pro max cannot provide enough power to drive sandisk extreme pro

Any response from Sandisk about this issue. Just need to get this work with my iPhone 15 pro max

I have a 15 pro, the 2tb SSD doesnt work, but the 1tb SSD works, STRANGE

I’ve encountered the same problem when I connected my iPhone 15 Pro Max to an Extreme Pro 2TB SSD. I need to do this because the phone needs external storage to record 4K video at 60fps. I suspect the problem is caused by the Extreme Pro needing more power than the iPhone 15 can supply; the SSD does run pretty hot when connected to my Macbook Pro.

In retrospect I should have bought a phone with more internal memory, but I am where I am. Has anyone tried using an Extreme Portable SSD? Being a much slower drive, it likely requires less power.

It seems like you’re encountering compatibility issues with your Xtreme PRO SSD and iPhone 15 running iOS 17. Here are a few steps and considerations you can take:

1. Check SSD Format: Ensure that your SSD is formatted in a way that iOS can recognize. iOS typically supports FAT32, exFAT, and APFS formats. If your SSD is formatted in a different format, it might not be recognized by iOS.

2. Update iOS: Make sure your iPhone 15 is running the latest version of iOS. Sometimes, updates include bug fixes and compatibility improvements that may resolve issues with external devices.

3. Use a Compatible App: Sometimes, accessing external storage devices through specialized apps designed for file management can bypass compatibility issues. Look for apps on the App Store that specifically support accessing external SSDs.

4. Check for Firmware Updates: If your SSD has firmware updates available, ensure it is up to date. Manufacturers often release updates to improve compatibility with various devices.

5. Try a Different Cable or Adapter: Sometimes, the issue could be with the cable or adapter you’re using to connect the SSD to your iPhone. Try using a different cable or adapter to see if that resolves the problem.

6. Contact Support: If none of the above solutions work, consider reaching out to the manufacturer’s customer support. They may have specific recommendations or be aware of any ongoing compatibility issues with iOS 17.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the compatibility issue between your Xtreme PRO SSD and iPhone 15 running iOS 17.

Hello, after reading your comments, when I installed 1 tb extreme pro ssd iphone 15 pro maxe, there was a slowdown. Later, I thought it was used with the ugreen multiplexer, it was normal and it was working by heating up. But I read this forum, it turns out that the cable that comes with ssd is insufficient, I think the problem disappeared when I plugged in the iphone 15 pro max’s charging cable :blush:

As a result of my recent checks, I have a disk test done, it comes out with its own iphone 15 pro max charging cable for 150mb/s. The disc is not working with its own cable. It works efficiently with the Ugreen multiplexer, but it needs to be used with a charging adapter.strong text

1 Like

The Extreme PRO SSD is not compatible with iPhone 15 or iOS 17 due to the lack of native support for external SSDs on iPhones. While iPhones support some external storage devices, compatibility issues with file formats and connection interfaces often prevent seamless use with certain SSDs like the Extreme PRO.

Yet the Samsung T7 works perfectly fine with the iPhone 15.

It also beggars belief that Sandisk are collaborating with BeastGrip - actively promoting the Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD for use with the iPhone 15 in adverts - despite telling customers with problems that they don’t support using them with iPhones… :thinking:

1 Like

The SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD isn’t fully compatible with the iPhone 15 running iOS 17 due to limitations in iOS’s file management and external drive support. While iOS 17 offers enhanced file handling, it still has restrictions on file formats, partition types, and power requirements that some SSDs, like the Extreme PRO, may not meet. Additionally, the iPhone’s Lightning or USB-C port might not provide sufficient power for the SSD to operate effectively. Compatibility issues may also arise from the SSD’s formatting, which might not be recognized by iOS 17, limiting its functionality.

@Junction10 If you’re experiencing compatibility issues between the Extreme PRO SSD and an iPhone 15 running iOS 17, you’re not alone. This problem might arise due to several factors such as file format compatibility, power requirements, or software limitations. Below is a concise guide to understanding and potentially resolving these issues.

The Extreme PRO SSD is a popular external storage solution for professionals and power users due to its high-speed performance and large storage capacity. However, some users have reported issues when trying to use this SSD with the iPhone 15, particularly under the iOS 17 environment. The main challenges include the SSD not being recognized by the iPhone, data transfer failures, or the iPhone not providing sufficient power to the SSD.

The reasons for these compatibility issues may stem from:

• File System Compatibility: The SSD might be formatted in a file system that is not fully supported by iOS, such as NTFS, which is common in Windows environments but read-only on iOS.
  • Power Requirements: The iPhone may not be providing enough power to the SSD, especially if the SSD does not have its own external power source.
  • Software Restrictions: iOS may have restrictions or bugs that prevent certain SSDs from functioning correctly.

Steps to Troubleshoot Compatibility Issues

1. Check the File Format

• Connect the SSD to a computer and check the file system format. If it’s NTFS, consider reformatting it to exFAT or FAT32, both of which are fully supported by iOS.
  • Backup all data before reformatting, as this process will erase all content on the drive.

2. Ensure Sufficient Power Supply

• The iPhone may not supply enough power to the SSD, particularly if it’s a high-performance drive. Using a powered USB hub between the iPhone and the SSD can resolve this issue.
  • Alternatively, you could use a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, which allows for connecting a power source while using the SSD.

3. Update iOS

• Ensure that your iPhone 15 is running the latest version of iOS 17. Sometimes, compatibility issues are resolved through software updates.
  • Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for and install any available updates.

4. Test with Another Device

• Connect the SSD to another device, such as a computer or another iPhone, to verify if the issue is with the SSD itself or the iPhone 15.
  • If the SSD works on other devices but not on the iPhone 15, it indicates a specific issue with the iPhone or iOS 17.

5. Use Third-Party Apps

• If the SSD is still not recognized, consider using third-party file management apps from the App Store that may have better support for various external drives.

6. Contact Support

• If none of the above solutions work, consider reaching out to SanDisk support or Apple support for further assistance.

By following these steps, you may be able to resolve the compatibility issues between the Extreme PRO SSD and your iPhone 15 running iOS 17.

Thank you. :hugs:

The Extreme PRO SSD is not compatible with the iPhone 15 or iOS 17. Apple’s devices and operating systems often have specific requirements for external storage, and the Extreme PRO SSD may not meet those requirements or may lack necessary drivers. For external storage compatibility, consider using options that are officially supported or recommended by Apple, such as certain models from SanDisk, Lexar, or other brands that are certified for iOS. Always check the manufacturer’s website or Apple’s support documentation for the most up-to-date compatibility information.

To address compatibility issues between the Extreme PRO SSD and iPhone 15 or iOS 17, here’s a solution to ensure your external storage works effectively with your Apple device:

1. Verify Compatibility:

• Check Manufacturer’s Website: Visit the Extreme PRO SSD manufacturer’s website for any updates on compatibility with iOS 17 or iPhone 15.
    • Consult Apple Support: Review Apple’s support documentation or contact Apple Support for information on supported external storage options.
  2. Consider Alternative Options:

• Certified Brands: Look for external SSDs or drives that are officially certified by Apple for use with iOS devices. Brands such as SanDisk, Lexar, and others often have models that are specifically designed for compatibility with iPhones and iPads.
    • Apple’s Recommendations: Review Apple’s list of recommended or compatible external storage devices for iOS 17.
  3. Use Compatible Adapters:

• Check Adapter Requirements: Ensure you have the correct Lightning to USB adapter or USB-C to USB adapter if needed. Sometimes, compatibility issues arise from using incorrect or low-quality adapters.
  4. Format the SSD Appropriately:

• Check File System: If the Extreme PRO SSD is to be used, ensure it’s formatted in a compatible file system (e.g., exFAT or FAT32), as iOS might have limitations on supported file systems.
  5. Software Updates:

• Update iOS: Ensure that your iPhone 15 is running the latest version of iOS 17, as software updates may include enhanced compatibility and support for external storage.
  6. Explore Cloud Storage Alternatives:

• iCloud or Other Services: If local external storage isn’t compatible, consider using cloud storage solutions like iCloud, Google Drive, or Dropbox for managing and accessing your files.

By following these steps, you should be able to find a compatible external storage solution or alternative that works with your iPhone 15 and iOS 17.