Error with SanDisk micro SDXC 64GB card

I had bought SanDisk Ultra micro SDXC 64GB card back in January 2014 to be used with my Samsung Note 3.

Mostly used it to store Photos, Videos, Movies, Music, E books, some notes. There were almost no android system file, maybe a few apps.

So for last 1 month or so I started facing error from card. It would disconnect on its own from mobile. I had to restart phone to detect it again. Thinking there might cause trouble in future I got a backup done.

Now what happened about 2 days back I was writing few files to SD card via phone (mass storage mode) suddenly got error and could not write anything to it.
Or delete stuff from card.

So I connected via card reader. Now I have taken care that LOCK is not ON.

I saw that all my files were there intact but I could not delete or write anything to card. CARD IS NOT FULL.
Almost 30GB is free.

Then I tried formatting and that did not work too.

Here are stuff I tried-

• Changed card reader and SD Adapter, with care that lock in OFF.
  • Tried formatting on Laptop which has inbuilt card reader.
  • Tried formatting on Note 3, which unmount and mounts card back and is unable to format it.
  • Tried formatting on old Nokia phone.

On Desktop I have tried
1- Formatting from “My Computer” both quick and normal and changing file system too. Shows “Windows unable to complete task”.

2- Formatting from “Disk management”- FAILED

3- Formatting from command prompt.
4- Formatting with external softaware like “SD Formatter 4.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC”, “HDD Low Level Format Tool 4.01”, “HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8” and “Active @ KillDisk”

Also thought maybe disk might VIRUS infected or spyware so checked with appropriate software.

Maybe disk got write protected

• So tried to change via Command prompt- NO USE

• Tried via Registry

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies). Changed WriteProtect key to 0.

Ran Check Disk

• When disk is connected

• Via Command prompt, card is corrupted so “chkdsk H:\ /f” and then to Fix file system errors on the disk.“chkdsk H:\ /r”

BUT ALL THIS OF NO USE. Still cannot format.

Now I dont care about data as I have already taken backup.

And I have LIFETIME WARRANTY too on card.

But problem is all files on card Pictures, videos and most importantly my bank account details etc are on card.

Even thought I cant delete or write, it can be easily be copied.

I dont want to return it to company with them on card.

So anyone can help me?

Also sorry for long post. I’m long time Windows user and tried everything in my power. Please help.

:smiley:   Hi Nin 13,

Dear member of SanDisk Community, welcome.

Friend, I congratulate you for your message, so detailed and concise.

You have made all the tests with intelligently and expertly.

Do not grieve more, return it because is dead, ist kaputt.

Write protection errors occur when a UFD detects a potential fault within itself. The drive will go into write-protected mode to prevent data loss.
_ There is no method to fix this. _

Do not worry about your personal data, I read in other posts, that is allowed the user to cut or pierce the card, if it was perfectly well identified and with a photo.

_You might have a pleasant surprise, if can contact with SanDisk Technical Support _ who will replace the device if it’s authentic and is within warranty. Link: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

To obtain the internal data of the UFD, you can use (portable apps, free): - USB Flash ChipGenius 4.00, http://filecloud.io/rqa7etmv

- USB Flash Deview 2.30,          http://filecloud.io/srp2hegw
                                                                                                                                   - USB Flash DriveLetter 1.30,    http://filecloud.io/vgqzcdyh
                                                                                                                                   - USB Drive Manager 4.20,         http://filecloud.io/ydi9jpac

To find out more on this, see here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/HELP-how-do-i-reomove-write-protected-message-from-my-16gb-flash/m-p/323924#M8925

Luck.

Regards, Alfred.                                                                     (Google translated)

I stay in India. I contacted Sandisk india. They have said they will replace the card. But I have to return original card without physical deformation.

Now I’m in a dilemma. Becaue I’m not sure if I should give away with data I have. There is no problem with photos etc. Only few text files which if I could delete would be great before replacing.

:cry:   Hi Nin 13,

Really, I’m sorry, I have no more ideas…

Perhaps, a more experienced user, have a good tip for you…

Regards, Alfred.                                               (Google translated)

Just my opinion though, if those files are really confidential, I wouldn’t send it. I’d buy a new one instead. It’s a good excuse too.

smileysad: Hi Nin 13,

Regards, Alfred.                                              (Google translated)

:cry:   Hi Nin 13,

Regards, Alfred.                                               (Google translated)

Hey guys, I formatt my 64gbmicrosdxc card on my gopro and I know it works at least on my computer at work running system 7 at home I’m running xp. I have updated every ounce of it but it won’t open the card it just asks me to format it? why? it opens on system 7 what am I missing. Cuz goPro can’t figure it out I thought I’d try here.

Thanks,

Goproman

:smiley:   Hi Goproman,

Dear member of SanDisk Community, welcome.

Friend, if the card is new, and a device “format asks”, implies that it have a problem.

Please, analyze the following:

1-     Test your card, in other laptops, directly to its port-card (not USB card-reader), and see what happens.

2-     If still bad: in Start / My Computer, on the card icon, click the right mouse button, and then click in Properties/Tools/Error Checking and Repair.

2.1- You can also use the tool (portable app, free): USB Check Disk 1.40, http://filecloud.io/i4zjka2r

3-     If still bad: try formatting with the tool (portable app, free): USB Flash SD Formatter 4.00, http://filecloud.io/jqtu1byc

_ Well, this is the first step, to see what happens… _

Luck, and then you tell us, what happened, please.

Regards, Alfred.                                                             (Google translated)

Question, why does it open on windows 7? With no problems? The card was formatted in my gopro hero 3 and has recordings on it. I’m able to view and edit these videos. Now when I try to open it in Xp it just tells me that the card isn’t formatted.

@goproman wrote:
Question, why does it open on windows 7? With no problems?  Now when I try to open it inXp it just tells me that the card isn’t formatted.

Maybe because the SXHC format was introduced much later than XP. Usually a Windows update would solve that, but since XP has been officially dropped and no longer supported by MicroSoft I don’t know if there is still an XP update that would address that. You could check though.

:smiley:   Hi Goproman,

[ Question, why does it open on windows 7? With no problems? Now when I try to open it in Xp it just tells me that the card isn’t formatted. ]

Well, after the first stage, we see that the SDXC 64GB (formatted exFAT), then it’s fine.

The problem, is only with WinXP, that asks to format the card.

Perhaps, because it does not recognize the exFAT format.

But overall WinXP, with SP2 and SP3, have the “exFAT patch” (of 2009)…

Well, then try to reinstall it, download from here: KB955704

Regards, Alfred.                                                           (Google translated)

:smiley:     Hi Goproman,

[ Question, why does it open on windows 7? With no problems? Now when I try to open it in Xp it just tells me that the card isn’t formatted. ]

Well, after the first stage, we see that the SDXC 64GB (formatted exFAT), then it’s fine.

The problem, is only with WinXP, that asks to format the card.

Perhaps, because it does not recognize the exFAT format.

But overall, WinXP with SP3, have the “exFAT patch” (of 2009)…

Well, then try to reinstall it, download from here: KB955704

Regards, Alfred.                                                           (Google translated)

Ahhh, yes!!! Your the man!!! And to think gopro can’t figure it out! I’ve been told wrong card, defective card. Unreal! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

OK!!                            

Alegría!!                   Freude!!  

:smileyvery-happy:    

Joy!!                                                        Joie!!

Hallelujah!!

:smiley:   Hi Nin13,

Finally, I found the message that I mentioned to you (post N° 2), about the return of a “cut card”.

Link: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-memory-professional-cards/cannot-format-micro-sd-believe-me-i-tried-everything/td-p/295020/page/2

Re: cannot format micro sd, believe me, i tried everything
04-28-2014 05:31 PM                                             -Post N°19-

I called customer support as Tapeworm suggested, and they looked up my online support ticket submission and issued an RMA with UPS label.

I just need to drop off my cut card (yes CUT - my agent said that I can cut the micro SD card in half in order to ensure that my data is inaccessible by anyone on the receiving end) at UPS and then they will send me a replacement.

FYI, you should ensure that the customer service rep records into his report that you will be cutting/drilling a hole/etc in your returning card.

I wanted to make sure they are fine receiving a physically broken card as evidence of ownership.

This was key, since the card retains your data, since it cannot be formatted or deleted. (I even tried a 30 second microwave while in a cup of water, but that didn’t destroy the card - so I ended up cutting lengthwise in half with pliers)

Thanks, Tapeworm for the suggestion to call support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards, Alfred.                                             (Google translated)