Drive will no longer mount on mac

Our SanDisk SSD stopped working all of a sudden on our Mac as well. We couldn’t see the drive in Finder and it didn’t work anywhere. We checked Disk Utility on the Mac and it showed a faded SSD name and reported as “Not Mounted”. However, when we connected the same drive to a Windows PC, all the files were intact. I think we could have scanned the drive and been able to Restore it to its default way but we opted to copy the files out, format it and get it to work again.

I have exactly the same problem. Did you happen to resolve it in the end

Just wanted to say THANK YOU, it worked! My 1 TB Sandisk SSD stopped working (maybe that’s the cable? no idea so far). Installing the Disk Drill helped! Thanks!!!

@ bmamukashvili it also worked for me. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Worked for me as well. I had to remove the password on the drive as well, then it formatted and all was good.

I could safe all my files with Disk Drill, but could´t mount the ssd. Not via Disk Drill, not via Terminal, not via Disk Utility…nothing worked.

The only solution that worked was:
I connected the ssd to my phone, formatted it.
First it did not format, tried a second time it succeeded.

Then plugged back to my mac m1 and erased again to APFS and all is good now.
Let´s see how long!

Everyone! Go to Activity Monitor, under Disk tab search for “fsck_****” where **** is whatever your drive type is. Anyways force quit it and you’ll be gucci💋

The firmware update tool is now available.

https://forums.sandisk.com/t/sandisk-extreme-portable-ssd-v2-sandisk-extreme-pro-portable-ssd-v2-and-wd-my-passport-ssd-external-drive-firmware-update

1 Like

Connect the Extreme portable SSD to a different USB port on your MacBook Pro. This can help determine if the issue is specific to a particular port.

1.As someone who has experienced a similar issue, I understand how frustrating it can be to face data loss due to a broken SanDisk Extreme SSD. However, there are solutions available to help recover your lost data.

2.To learn more about official solutions to this issue, I recommend visiting the SanDisk website or reaching out to their customer support team for assistance. They may be able to provide you with specific steps to recover your data or recommend a professional data recovery service.

3.Additionally, you can visit the following guide page to learn more about how to recover your data on broken SanDisk Extreme SSDs: SanDisk Extreme SSD Failure: Tips to Prevent from Further Damage This page provides detailed instructions and tips that can help you recover your lost data. I hope this information helps you to resolve the issue and recover your important files.

I purchased a San Disk Extreme Pro Portable SSD Model Number SDSSDE61-1T00, from Costco, November 2022. I have used it multiple times every week since then now it will not mount. I have tried different cables and 3 different MACs. Is there a solution to this problem? Or should I send it to SanDisk for a replacement?

Thanks for the advice but I have tried to connect it to 3 different computers and it will not mount on any of them.

WTF, we are 2024, and yet after buying a new one this week I have the same problem?

I spent some time searching and came up with this solution that did work:

First, check if you have a NTFS hard drive. You can do this by going to Disk Utility (by pressing Cmd + Space)

If you have a NTFS file system, you can try the Paragon NTFS Driver. However, I haven’t had much luck with the NTFS file system on Mac. So I’ve ended up formatting them to ExFAT.

If you have an ExFAT hard drive that isn’t mounting, try running the following commands -

1. Plug in your hard drive
  2. Run ps aux | grep fsck - This will show if fsck is using your hard drive (typically happens when you don’t eject it properly)
  3. Run sudo pkill -f fsck - This will kill the process and immediately show your hard drive in Finder

Hope this works!

1 Like

Hey, did you ever get a response or find a fix?