Display dying!

I bought a 2gb Sansa Clip in August of 2008 and it soon became my all time favorite mp3 player (I’ve owned 6).  I used it several times a week, just like I have previous players.  I liked it so much I even bought four more as gifts for my daughter, dad and sisters, all the while bragging about how great the player is.  Well about a week ago I noticed the right side of the display had faded somewhat, and over the next couple days the fading progressed over the entire screen.  Now today I can’t even read whats there, it’s pretty much all black!  The player still plays music, etc, but I have no way to navigate to what I want to hear.  Is this how all Clips will end up?  If so, I am totally disgusted with Sandisk, especially after buying these as gifts.  Basically the Clip has morphed into an Ipod Shuffle!  By the way, I have a 7 or 8 year old Rio Sport s35 whose display still works perfectly.  Is there any way to revive the Clip’s display from the dead?  Or will this be my last purchase from Sandisk EVER?

Its not normal but these things do happen. 

By all means buy from an alternative supplier and as is the case with the vast majority of clip owners, that alternative may work for many years. But be aware that screen failure is a hazard of this type of device. My son’s TomTom refuses to respond to touch input, and I lost both a Sharp and Royal pocket organizer to screen failure. The 2gb regular clip (if you can find one) would surely sell for less than $20. You can get a 4gb clip+ for around $50 and finish up with a much better unit than the one about which you are complaining. In fact some people even welcome an eventual failure as an excuse to upgrade without the guilt feeling.

I have the same problem. Happened a few weeks ago.  Display is completely black.  I still used it but when I sync’d some new stuff on it something fliped it to the FM radio and now I can’t get it back to my mp3 song list.  This is a 4G and I had it less than a year.

This is my second Sansa Clip and my last.

JeMa wrote:

I have the same problem. Happened a few weeks ago.  Display is completely black.  I still used it but when I sync’d some new stuff on it something fliped it to the FM radio and now I can’t get it back to my mp3 song list.  This is a 4G and I had it less than a year.

This is my second Sansa Clip and my last.

If you had it less than a year call Sandisk and get an RMA 

To Dave – So I guess by your response that there really isn’t any solution to the dead display?  So I should go out and buy another Clip or Clip+ which still uses the same OLED technology, so I can then have ITS display go dead in a year or two? If only Sandisk would issue the Clip or + with an LCD display, then I’d take the plunge again.  Personally I’ve only seen 1 lcd display ever go bad, and that was a cheap calculator that I’d accidentally stepped on.  I have and have had cell phones, mp3 players, tvs, remote controls, clocks, etc, all with lcd screens which never failed.  The sad fact is the Clip is nearly perfect for my listening needs, podcasts,books, music, in fact the auto-bookmark feature is what originally sold me on it.  But without being able to navigate to the book,podcast,etc, what good is it?  

Message Edited by johnetx on 03-07-2010 11:40 AM

I can’t comment on whether another clip would fail the same way. Since Sansa has shipped huge numbers of these things one would have thought if it were a systemic problem there would have been more complaints. I’m saying there is a chance of failure on any electronic device. It’s a decision you have to make.