Digital copies of movies... can't seem to get them onto my Sansa

@autobahnsho wrote:
Try uninstalling the “software” that came w/ the Movie?

I didn’t have to install anything, it was like a self-extracting “autorun” sort of thing.

It opens up, asks you for what country, you put United States, the English auto-fills, then hit “Next”, it asks you for your code, and you hit next, then it starts downloading two versions, a “portable version” and a “PC” version. At some point before the download it begins a browser window pops up for you to locate your files, and then after that it starts downloading, you see both files and the progression in the “Download Manager”, once they’re complete, you’re left with no choice but to close out.

This ■■■■■, because I guess Sansa just flat-out does not support it. And I highly doubt there’s going to be a firmware update since this model has been discontinued.

I can now confirm that there is a Sandisk device that works with digital copies: the View (the same Sansa player in the aforementioned “how it works” video). The View, incidentally, is also the only Sansa that supports WMV video AFAIK. So I guess that’s the deciding factor.

So while Sandisk is certainly guilt of disseminating vague information, they didn’t actually lie.

Digital copy movies are copyright protected.  You won’t be able to use SMC to transfer the movie to the player. you will have to transfer it using Windows Media Player 11 on MTP mode.  i don’t know if it will work for the e200 v2 but it worked for my view. digital copy movies are not compatible the the fuze… hope this helps

It’s definitely an encryption issue… I can’t even play the video without my authorization code. Not a big deal if you sit at a computer to view it, but I can see why a media player would have issues.

Don’t ask Sansa. Ask Hollywood, the Motion Picture Association of America. etc.

@whatchamacallit wrote:
Don’t ask Sansa. Ask Hollywood, the Motion Picture Association of America. etc.

NO,

It’s Apple and Sheeple’s fault.  There were other mp3 players out before and better than the iPood. But when people agreed to paying money to LOCK “thousands of dollars” of music to ONE DEVICE and other Sheep followed along… :angry:

-----The movie industry is just following the retardedness of the music industry.

And since when does it cost as much to produce an album as a movie?? Yet the ■■■■■ music industry insists on keeping CDs the same price as DVDs?

-VHS movies used to be $80 each but the minute they dropped the pricing people started buying them. They had tried copy-protection too, but that was easy to get around, just like copying DVDs is easy. But it’s cheap enough to buy a DVD that they make money and it’s not really worth our time to copy. (Overseas though… )

-Plus CDs became CHEAPER to manufacture than cassettes after a couple years but they remained More Expensive than tapes. ?!?!

-Don’t tell me the penny or two of bandwidth justifies the pricing of Digital Download Music as just as expensive as a CD??) 

I refuse to use any DRM- protected music or movies, and don’t feel entirely bad pirating every now and again.

So, after reading this entire thread, are you guys telling me that there is no way to put a movie onto the Sansa Fuze that I just bought for that purpose?  'cuz I hate to fly and I’m going on vacation and need a distraction.  Someone please tell me they can help me!

No, many people have been sucessfull in transferring movies to their players. There is an issue with some of the newer ones being released on DVD, supposedly with digital copies already included for portable devices.

Naturally because they _ say _ it works, it doesn’t. Then there’s also the DRM issue on others.

Video comes in all sorts of formats. The one that is giving people problems in this thread is one specifically designated as a portable copy with some new DVDs–which are copy-protected in ways that apparently only the Sansa View can handle.

However, there are many other formats and many things that can be sent to the E200. If you’re trying to deal with a DVD, try this FAQ on DVDs .

But for me that is the problem.  I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve downloaded SMC and tried that with the digital copy of two movies.  That doesn’t work.  I tried a DVD decrypter thing and can’t make heads or tails of it.  It sounds like I’m a blonde but in truth I’m just trying to find something to take my mind off of flying.  Is there anything that will walk me thru step-by-step?  And I’m not talking about that stupid How To Video because that is nonsense.

The problem is that the digital copy is full of encryption garbage, so you can’t just run it through SMC.

DVD Decrypter isn’t consumer friendly, but it’s probably your best bet. You can find lots of information on copying video files at Doom 9.

Look at the Guides to get started. 

You might also contact the DVD manufacturer, and ask them how to get what you paid for. For all you know, they have a how-to to help disgusted consumers.

You shouldn’t have to jump through these hoops, but hey, someone has to pay for Hollywood movie moguls’ cocaine and alimony.