Movies?

I am really new to the MP3 world.  Can the Sansa e280 play movies? Can I buy them and watch them on it? A sales person at Best Buy told me it could. My son wants one that can but I am not really comfortable with buying him one that is an actual hard drive. I’d like to stick with the flash drive kind for him. I understand that you have to use the media convertor but I don’t even know what format movies come in or if you can buy them from anyone other than ITunes. Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, it can play movies… However, Please be aware that if you try to convert a Copy Protected DVD (Store Purchased) it will not convert.  However if its a homemade DVD without protection then it will convert without a hitch.

If these are movies that are already in a supported file format, like AVI, WMV, MOV, etc then they will convert without a hitch (as long as they are not purchased videos)

The e200 will playback movies but in many cases I have found that video and sound are out of sync.  SanDisk says they are working to improve this but it seems that the e200 is not really designed for full length movies.  However, shorter length videos seem to work fine (30 minutes or so).  Hopefully future Sansa devices will be better equipped to playback full length movies.

Can I download a movie say from i-tunes and convert it? I think they are in mpeg4 format, though I could be wrong about that.

ajhill64 wrote:

Can I download a movie say from i-tunes and convert it? I think they are in mpeg4 format, though I could be wrong about that.

probably not. the movies downloaded from itunes are most likely protected with some sort of DRM. that would need to be stripped out first.

Hi I have a DVD decrypter after I have decryted the DVD will I be able to convert the movie to play on my player?

I would say please DVD Shrink. First, you get the copy-protected DVD you want on the Sansa you have. I have the 8gb 280e. Now, compress the movie to a folder respectively and this also get’s rid of the copyright protection. Now, open up the Sansa converter window and software that came on the disk you were provided on the CD that was packaged with your Sansa. Now, search for the folder where the movie is. The file is going to be in thiis format: Example, “VTS_01_1”. Now just open it and put in the converter window and it will start processing itself. Due to the fact that it is such a big file for the player, you’re going to have to do one video section at a time and it worked for me. Good luck people.