Would anyone be willing to take a few moments to see if this audio playback problem occurs on their Sansa Express unit?
Here are the steps to reproduce a problem found I found on my original Sansa Express and my
replacement Sansa Express (via RMA):
1) Download ‘48_kHz.zip’ from http://members.localnet.com/~kmmp/Sansa%20Express/
2) Unzip ‘48_kHz.zip’ (it contains a WAV file – a 30 second 440 Hz sine wave tone encoded at 48 kHz via Cool Edit 2000)
3) Copy ‘48_kHz.wav’ to your Sansa Express
4) Reset the settings:
Settings ==> ‘Reset All’, hit enter then select ‘Confirm’ and hit enter.
5) Play the ‘48_kHz.wav’ file
6) After the display timeout expires (10 seconds) and the display shuts off you should
hear the audio get real distorted and choppy (decimated) after a few seconds.
7) Before the 30-second WAV file ends, press enter on the Sansa Express to turn the display
back on – the audio now sounds fine.
As these steps demonstrate, something is clearly wrong with the
Sansa Express playback functionality when the display shuts off.
The Sansa Express has no problem playing this WAV file when the
display is on, but when the display shuts off the audio quality is horrible.
Now play the ‘48_kHz.wav’ on your PC using an audio playback program such as Windows Media Player.
You will notice that it plays fine which proves the WAV itself is not at fault.
The tried the following firmware versions and the problem still occurs:
Thanks very much for anyone letting me know if they can reproduce this problem or not.