Create PlayList For Already-Loaded Files?

Hey, Guys & Gils!

I’ve never bothered with playlists before…but now I have a need to make some short playlists for files that are already on my Clip (I use drag & drop to load my files)- The “Go List” is a pain (I have ALOT of files on my Clip)- I need a fast and easy way to make lists for these files…any ideas?

Use WMP11… but it will probably put the songs on again, because it is looking for them in the Music folder.

If you want to manually drag and drop, use MSC mode and do a search on anythingbutipod.com for an application that will allow you to create M3U playlists.

by far the easiest and most straightfoward is making m3u list.  not only do you have full control, but also you don’t need to install or use full featured softwares.

here’s what you do:

1. create a new txt document.

2. Rename the txt document to have a m3u file extension. “name.m3u”

3. open the m3u file with notepad, or a text editor.

4. Make the first line “#EXTM3U”.  Then add a few spaces and start listing your music files (with extension), seperated by enter.

the above is assuming that all your music is in one folder, the m3u file will reside in that same folder so it points directly to each music file. if you have a heirarchy, than you’d have to list the songs with paths, pointing the the right song. assume the following:

the m3u file exists in a folder and inside that folder are two folders “album1” and “album2” and in those two folders are two songs “track1” and “track2”

the following m3u file will look like this

remember that your paths match, otherwise m3u will not work correctly.  paths are relative to the m3u file.  you can see how having a crazy complicating heirarchy or a lot of music files will make this process complicating and tedius, but I say start with this first and test with a few music files so you can understand and get used to how playlists work.  than you can move on to WMP11 or winamp. the programs will automatically generate m3u files and create the paths for you, but remember problems can occur with applications if you save the m3u file in a specific way.  but try this out, move onto the programs, and if you have a lot of problems, come back to the forums and I (as well as others) will be glad to help

Thanks guys!

Thoma,

Special thanks for the detailed instructions and illustrations!! That was EXACTLY what I was looking for! I’ll test that out and figure it out…and that is the way I’ll do it- I like doing stuff the simple, manual way like that…and like you say, once I see how it works, it’ll be quite simple!! Really don’t want to bother syncing with WMP, etc. as I’m sure that will create problems of its’ own. Being able to just drag and drop my files and make playlists manually like this is great- no extra software…no going nuts trying to make different things work with each other…

I’ll let you know how it works out. Seems pretty straight-forward.

I’m glad you liked it, a lot of learning anything helps if you learn the basics, and this is the most basic of playlists, before things were automated.  there are many times people wonder why their playlists don’t work when using programs like wmp11 and winamp, and it’s really hard to explain about paths, if the knowledge for it didn’t exist in the first place.

good luck with your playlists, I hope it works out for you!

I am SO glad I happend upon this thread before posting my own.

I have had a frustrating time with WinAmp playlists being EMPTY when I disconnect the Clip.

It turns out that WinAmp does not format each line the way the examples here are formatted.

Each line in the Winamp generated playlist begins with a Backward Slash ( \ ).

And there are no empty spaces between Album entries.

After correcting both of those, my Winamp Playlists now play perfectly.

Pity I have to manually edit them though.

But thanks for the good information.

interesting.  do you have the latest version of winamp? my winamp generates m3u playlists fine.

they also add another line:

#EXTINF: ###, [Title]

### can be any number, but normally it is the length of the track in seconds. [Title]can be anything also, but normally it is the title of the song.

It is possible that ### and [title] to be differnet from the music it is pointing too, but the actual ### and [title] isn’t affected. this feature I think is only for winamp’s use, and doesn’t affect the players in anyway.

Also if you just select all the songs you want in MTP mode you can right click and a playlist option should show up in explorer. 

I recently switched from drag and drop to mediamonkey and it handles playlists really well too.

correct there is the right click option, but that is mediated with MTP mode, and provide by . . yours truly, WMP11.  However the level of control is the same, but its not versitile since it’s a PLA format and can only be handled on the player. once copied to computer, it becomes void so preservation of playlist isn’t available. I think you need some third party software to extract the pla to m3u.

@thoma wrote:
correct there is the right click option, but that is mediated with MTP mode, and provide by . . yours truly, WMP11.  However the level of control is the same, but its not versitile since it’s a PLA format and can only be handled on the player. once copied to computer, it becomes void so preservation of playlist isn’t available. I think you need some third party software to extract the pla to m3u.

If you look at what I wrote, I said it was in MTP mode.  It may be related to wmp but it doesn’t copy your files again, and is very straightforward to use and edit.  From the question, I’m not sure if the OP would want to use them on his computer, it just seems like he wants an easy way to make simple playlists for the player. 

@thoma wrote:

interesting. do you have the latest version of winamp?

_ Yes, I have the latest Version. _

And it is driving me crazy! When Viewing the contents of the Clip, it is Displaying the wrong Artist Name for much of the collecion on the Clip. It is doing so arbitrariy, always using the same artist name name, even though the ID3 tags list the correct name, and all my music is in folders, named as:

(Artist Name - Album Name)

Very Curious.

my winamp generates m3u playlists fine.

they also add another line:

#EXTINF: ###, [Title]

can be any number, but normally it is the length of the track in seconds. [Title]can be anything also, but normally it is the title of the song.

It is possible that ### and [title] to be differnet from the music it is pointing too, but the actual ### and [title] isn’t affected. this feature I think is only for winamp’s use, and doesn’t affect the players in anyway.

I do not see any of the coding you mention.

My playlists are coded as follows:

#EXTM3U

MUSIC\Folder Name\Track # Song Title.mp3

BTW, I can’t find any file for the “Go” list. I would like to edit and save the GO list, and then be able to start a new one. Otherwise that list will just keep growing. Any idea how I can save the Go list?

Thanks

Message Edited by itisonlyi on 06-03-2008 11:51 AM

I dont think its possible to access the go-list and edit or save it.

As for displaying wrong id3tag info, I believe this is has something to do with winamp’s use of id3v2. I’ve had problems with winamp before where the tags looked correct on the program, but it looked incorrect on the players. I can’t say I have a definite answer for this, but I think it has to do something with the id3v2 type (since there are different builds of it). not sure what winamp uses, but when I do id3 editting, I use media monkey.

Message Edited by thoma on 06-03-2008 12:01 PM

@thoma wrote:

I dont think its possible to access the go-list and edit or save it.

As for displaying wrong id3tag info, I believe this is has something to do with winamp’s use of id3v2. I’ve had problems with winamp before where the tags looked correct on the program, but it looked incorrect on the players. I can’t say I have a definite answer for this, but I think it has to do something with the id3v2 type (since there are different builds of it). not sure what winamp uses, but when I do id3 editting, I use media monkey.

Message Edited by thoma on 06-03-2008 12:01 PM

I think you are probably right about the go list. Which is a shame. We should be able to name and save it, IMHO.

As far as the ID3 tags are concerned, I have not previously had any problems with Winamp. I seldom use WimAmp for ID3 editing, but in the past it has worked just fine. And I have just discovered that some of my files HAVE been re-edited with the wrong Artist Name in the tags! This is getting very worrisome. Perhaps it is finally time to give other players a shot.

I am going to download Media Monkey, as well as a couple of ID3 Standalone editors.

And if anyone out there has other recommendations, other than WMP or iTunes, I’d appreciate your comments about them.

Thanks

@summerlove wrote:

Also if you just select all the songs you want in MTP mode you can right click and a playlist option should show up in explorer. 

I recently switched from drag and drop to mediamonkey and it handles playlists really well too.

Ah! Thank you…I will also give that a try- if it works, it will be even simpler and faster!

Oooppss! Just thought of a problem though- I load my songs in MSC mode…so they probably won’t show up in MTP mode…therefore I will not be able to select them…???

nope, feature only works if your device is connected in mtp mode and the content is transferred in mtp mode. reason why is cause DB is created immediately, where as MSC mode, DB isn’t created until disconnect from PC.

Thoma…HELP!!!

I’ve created a playlist as you outlined…and I’ve been fooling with it for the past hour…but it is not showing up in my Clip (dragged it to the MUSIC folder…)

Any ideas?

EDIT: I think I know what the problem is: Although I labeled the created playlist file with a .m3u -it’s still a .txt file since it was created with notepad…???

Message Edited by Cllipman on 06-06-2008 10:11 AM