Considering upgrading my e260v1 to a Fuze: Questions

1  Does embedded album art in mp3’s display OK?

2  Any reports of battery failure?

3  Anyone find the headphone jack at the bottom to be annoying?

4  How does Voice Record work on the Fuze?

5  Multiple GoList or only one like the old e200 series?

thanks in advance

Blackdog

From what I’ve experienced so far, 

1. The firmware update should have fixed it but there are still bugs with album art

2. No battery failure yet

3. Not at all. Angled headphone jacks might solve the problem(a lot of good headphones come in angled jacks)

4. The firmware update made voice recording crystal clear

1. They display like it with the art on the left, then the information on the right; you can still cycle to the full-screen art by pressing the center button (like the Sansa e200 series)

2. In case of battery failure, call up 866-SANDISK and yell at them for making a sh!tty Sansa, then politely ask them to send a replacement.

3. It’s not annoying, and it’s not at the edge, so if you control it with your right hand, then it won’t be putting pressure on the jack (which would seperate the jack from the circuit board - in that case, use step 2)

4. Voice record is the same, although there isn’t a Record button, which sucks.

5. Out of my 2.5 days with my Sansa, I haven’t used GoList so I dunno, but assuming 1?

PM me if you need halp. 

“1  Does embedded album art in mp3’s display OK?”

I haven’t even put album art on my player.

“2  Any reports of battery failure?”

Not really.

“3  Anyone find the headphone jack at the bottom to be annoying?”

Yes. Not so much because it is on the bottom, but because it is near the connector for the cable, I find that I need to unplug the headphones to be able to reach the release on the plug of the data cable.

“4  How does Voice Record work on the Fuze?”

With the new firmware, quite well. It records to the main memory in WAV and gets around 6 hours recording per gig of storage.

“5  Multiple GoList or only one like the old e200 series?”

Just one go list, but it also has a list for your top rated songs.

Message Edited by JK98 on 10-14-2008 01:06 AM

1 It’s always worked for me, but then I use Album Art Fixer before transferring any music to make sure.

2 Not with me, and I’ve not seen any reported here.

3 I think it’s the best place for it (although I agree it is too close to the USB cable). Just put it upside down in your pocket and the controls are where they should be.

4 I haven’t used this much, but it works more than adequately and is a nice little addition. The recording quality has been improved in the most recent FirmWare update.

5 Just one Go List, but I tend to listen to whole albums so it’s not something I use.

1  I prefer separate folder.jpg files, but the new FW added support for embedded art.  I believe it’s only for MP3 though.

2  Early runs of the Clip had some battery issues, but I haven’t heard of any with the Fuze.

3  No, for a pocketable device it’s the best place for it.  Put the player in your pocket upside down with the screen facing in and you’ll see.

4  Don’t really use it, but it seems to work well.

5  Only one GoList, but you can create unlimited playlists on your computer and put them on the Fuze.

Thanks to all.  A follow-up:

Regarding recording, do you have to go through several menu steps to get to Voice Record?

(just seems inevitable that as soon as designers get something right, they’ll change it and make it less workable in the next version)

And, there’s no "scan-through-song or fast-forward???  Is that true?

What are they thinking?

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Thanks to all.  A follow-up:

Regarding recording, do you have to go through several menu steps to get to Voice Record?

(just seems inevitable that as soon as designers get something right, they’ll change it and make it less workable in the next version)

And, there’s no "scan-through-song or fast-forward???  Is that true?

What are they thinking?

To voice record: from the main menu, it’s just 1/3 of the dial, then 2 clicks and you’re recording - takes 2 seconds.

There’s scan/fast-forward on all audio, including Voice/FM recording. Don’t know where you heard the contrary from, but it’s as wrong as it can be.

Thanks for all the info folks.  'Preciate it.

The confusion is the e200’s scan through song feature, using the scroll wheel.  In this function, you can cue / review through the song using the scroll wheel, just like the jog wheel on a video editing console.  This is different from the normal << or >> functions.

It would be a cool function on the Fuze.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

So, there is NO scan-through-song option on the Fuze.  Great.

Like buying the most recent model of a car and finding there’s no intermediate wiper or windshield defroster-which you had on the last car.

You figure, once you have something that works well, why not include it as standard on subsequent new models?  How can you not want to use scan-through-song?  Listening for specific lyrics, wanting to hear a solo over, jeez. 

I just ordered a Fuze.  To me, that’s a brainless thing to include as a “feature”.  Frustrating.

Maybe I should quit this whole digital thing and dig out my casette tapes and Walkman!

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Like buying the most recent model of a car and finding there’s no intermediate wiper or windshield defroster-which you had on the last car.

You figure, once you have something that works well, why not include it as standard on subsequent new models?  How can you not want to use scan-through-song?  Listening for specific lyrics, wanting to hear a solo over, jeez. 

I just ordered a Fuze.  To me, that’s a brainless thing to include as a “feature”.  Frustrating.

Maybe I should quit this whole digital thing and dig out my casette tapes and Walkman!

I feel your pain

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

You can still use the fast-forward (>>|) or rewind (|<<) buttons to navigate through a song. :wink: