Clip sport, audio player or MP3 player?

I’ve bought a clip sport mainly because it claims to support formats that I am interested in: OGG, FLAC and AAC.

Yet, I have encountered a very strange behavior: most of my music is not sorted… After reading and testing a lot, I finally figured out that the clip sport is only able to read ID3 tags, aka MP3 tags. When it comes to OGG and FLAC, it becomes completely clueless and dumb (it could fall back to filename sorting, but it doesn’t).

Now, Sandisk fanboys will say that since I want sorted tracks, I only need to transcode to MP3, easy. Well, if the clip sport was only advertised to support MP3, they would be perfectly right. But Sandisk itself says that it supports OGG and FLAC. From a technical and legal point of view, this means that it should read everything from these kind of files, but it doesn’t.

Remember, I bought this player specifically because it says it supports these files.

So, fellow users from the US, please sue. I’m sure there is something to do here. Don’t be ashamed: they weren’t when they lied to you.

sorting for flac and ogg do not read the track number due to hardware limitations. these files still play however so they are supported even though sorting is not optimal. that said if the player does not fit your needs return it to the place of purchase for a refund and buy a different product. 

Is that because of hardware limitations that this kind of information is not given at purchase time?

By the way, you will have to explain something to me: you say that you read the metadata, right?

Then, somewhere, there is an integer variable (could even be int8) , that must contain the track number, right?

What witchery prevents you from using the same sorting function as the ID3? 

You don’t read the track number at all?! Then you don’t support the file, you only partially support it, which makes a huge difference.

> sorting for flac and ogg do not read the track number due to hardware limitations.

• So you are basically saying that you can read a whole UTF8 title, but not a single integer?! Please remove one letter from my titles to spare an extra uint8 to use for track number.
  • So you basically confess that you only partially support ogg and flac files. That’s not what I read when purchasing…

As I said everyone, feel free to sue.

1 Like

@lltp wrote:

> sorting for flac and ogg do not read the track number due to hardware limitations.

• So you are basically saying that you can read a whole UTF8 title, but not a single integer?! Please remove one letter from my titles to spare an extra uint8 to use for track number.
  • So you basically confess that you only partially support ogg and flac files. That’s not what I read when purchasing…

Obviously the track number is not a hardware limitation.  I assume the actual problem is the metadata parsers.  Does the Sport support Vorbis/FLAC tags at all?