Clip Forgetting Last Song After Transfers

After transfering new tracks to my Clip, it forgets which song I was last listening to and goes back to the first song.  I am using firmware 01.01.29.  Is this how it’s supposed to behave?

Yes.  Adding or deleting content Via the PC could affect your currently playing list ,  so it gets reset.

This is one feature I don’t like about the Clip, but it’s pretty minor compared to all of the Clip’s advantages and other features.

All the best,

Brad

Can this “feature” be turned off or made configurable in the future?  With hundreds of songs to wade through and not remembering exactly which song was last playing, it’s a big pain to get back the the previous position.

Dude… name 1 mp3 player that AFTER syncronizing or droping music files and refreshing its library… the player can RESUME…

let me help you… none… at least is not supposed to… because while sync or editing files from a PC you can delete the song that was playing…

I know it could be annoying to you…  but its a small mp3 player… with capacity up to 1000 songs (kinda, thats what I get) and i mostly use it in shuffle all… so no need to remember last position after Refreshing Database… Ill just skip to the next song if I dont feel like listening to the currently playing…

I also have a big capacity (at its time) a 30Gb Archos AV500, thats a portable DVR that has great music features… including Resuming last playing song (or video) but if Im shuffling all it will not remember the secuence after powering off… so thats a big plus for the Clips current upgrade…  I love that…

Anyway after tranferring songs to the AV500 you can set it to manually update the Library… so it can actually remember where it left off… .but you will not see the new songs until you refresh the library… and the player forget to resume…

There is no player yet that can do what you ask…

Message Edited by BUC on 09-04-2008 12:18 AM

The Creative Zen, for one, will resume playing where it left off after synching.  There are many others…

there you go… thats the player for you…

No, I like the Clip and would like to make it better by providing feedback, which is part of the purpose of this forum. I’m not just going to abandon a good company and a good audio player over the lack of one feature. The engineers at Creative are not smarter than SanDisks’. The guys here have been responsive and helpful. I love that they put out regular firmware updates, but without the user community’s feedback, what updates would they have to release? Hopefully this feature is one they’ll consider providing, since other manufactures offer it and the implementation isn’t hard. If the song isn’t deleted, play it. Otherwise play the next available or even play the first.

Actually I know that you are right…

I agree with your last post… and I wish it was that way… but… I have to say that this “problem” is actually a minor one… and it was the first time I saw somebody complaining about it…

Dont get me wrong… it would be cool for the player to remember that… but Im guessing that most of the people dont care about it…

Remember that many users are former ipod users… or users with no experience at all… (of course with exceptions… me included)… so former ipod users never had that feature…

Bottomline… If this problem get fixed then cheers… and good thing for you… and few other people…

If not… I dont think many people will complain…

"

Dude… name 1 mp3 player that AFTER syncronizing or droping music files and refreshing its library… the player can RESUME…

let me help you… none…"

I love stuff like this.

My SANSA E260 Does it.

Why would you write something like that?

Ilove my clip, though!

cause is kind of a dumb feature for a small capacity player…

most people dont mind not resuming after refreshing database…

anyway if yours does… great…

sorry if it sound moody earlier on 

4GB is not considered a small capacity.  According to the product page the player holds 1000 to 2000 songs–and much more if your tracks are at a lower bitrate.  That’s a lot of songs to have to scroll through to get back to where you left off assuming you even remember where you left off.  Many other lower capacity players can retain this very important piece of information so we don’t see why it would be a problem with the Clip.  It already allows you to resume within a podcast so they clearly recognize the utility of remembering where someone stopped listening to a track.  Hopefully they also see the mass appeal of remembering which song we were last listening to and not making us scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll and scroll to return to the last song.  We’re hoping it’s just an oversight that gets corrected in a future release.

To the engineers: Keep up the great work with this and other fantastic SanDisk products!

Im sorry but to this date… the clip is a small capacity player… I have the 4Gb one… and an Archos 30 GB (which now is getting pretty small for me)

A big capacity player is consider most of hard drive disk based player… and those top flash…

To me its a player above the 20Gb storage… come on… there are Archos and Ipods with 160Gb hdd… and the new are up to 320…

Anyway this is not the point of this discussion… I know some people find this feature helpful… but Im OK with the clip Resuming after I power off and on… the fact that the clip does not resume AFTER a database refresh… its not important to me… because the point of refreshing the library is to put more songs on the player… so I CAN LISTEN to those songs I just put…

thats why Im guessing most of the people doesnt care about this…

And like I already said… IT would be AWSOME if they add this feature…

IF they dont… whatever… its still the best player this size Ive tried…

If other SanDisk players with 512MB can remember your last song, the Clip with 8 times the memory should be able to also, don’t you think? It’s just a pain to scroll through 1000’s of songs with the tiny display. Please fix this.

I thought I’d bump this old thread because I’d love to see the Clip get the ability to resume music playback at the same place after connecting to and disconnecting from the computer. This is a feature I use all the time on my iPod nano. (I’d like to replace my iPod with my Clip as my main DAP, and I’d do it right now if the Clip could do “resume play”.)

Now, on the iPod I have to use a “smart playlist” based on play count to get it to work this way, but there’s bound to be a way to do this without too much difficulty on the Clip because podcasts *already have* the ability to resume play even after I connect to and disconnect from the computer. In fact, if podcasts had a shuffle play mode, I could just put all my music in the podcasts folder and in effect have “resume play” for music.

In other words, it seems that it would just be a matter of using the same code that gives podcasts “resume play” capability to give music playlists and “Play All” that same capability. Now if “resume play” could be done for several playlists independently, that would be even better and would replicate the full capability I have with my iPod.

The reason I bring this up is that I always listen to my DAP as a “personal radio station”: I set up long playlists (generally longer than the battery life) with random play and no repeats. It would be wonderful if the Clip had this “shuffle once only” capability!

Please please please! :slight_smile:

I have to agree with others. The resume after a transfer is the single biggest single thing I miss and dislike about the Clip. (I’m still not giving it up though!).

My 4 year old Samsung 1G had this and I would still be using it if I hadn’t worn it out after several battery replacements, a switch replacement and now the audio jack is going. It was time and the Clip was the best thing I found for the price.

There are other things that I wish the Clip had, but if it had this feature, all the others would be largle irrelevent! Thanks for a great product guys (and please try to work this feature into the next release…)

Wes