Car USB connectivity issues

Hi.

I just got the Fuze for the specific reason of using it in my car. The only reason I got it.

I have a USB and AUX ports in my car (2009 Hyundai Sonata)

Filled up the Fuze, plugged it in - turned on the car and the Fuze went into that ‘slave mode’ thing and would show the songs titles on the car, but obviously not on the Fuze’s screen as I got that connecting screen.

If I plug in the Fuze while the car is already on, the MP3 player shows the screen and it plays fine, just nothing goes out of the speakers and the car shows reading USB or something.

I don’t want to have to control  the fuze through the  car and not be able to scroll through songs or pick what I want.  I want to be able to run it off of the Fuze itself.

I have the Fuze on the first option for the AUX settings - the auto detect or whatever.

I would switch it to the MTP and MSC modes, with no change.

Please keep in mind, I am electronically challenged and any advice needs to be explained like you would to a 8 year old girl.

Do I need to switch the modes and reload all the songs? or get a different connector, like a AUX instead?

Thanks!

Camille 

I do not know about the USB feature in the car. I do however have the Aux feature. I use that without a problem. I have to use the sansa’s display and not the cars but thats fine

@cmgangelhoff wrote:

Hi.

I just got the Fuze for the specific reason of using it in my car. The only reason I got it.

I have a USB and AUX ports in my car (2009 Hyundai Sonata)

Filled up the Fuze, plugged it in - turned on the car and the Fuze went into that ‘slave mode’ thing and would show the songs titles on the car, but obviously not on the Fuze’s screen as I got that connecting screen.

If I plug in the Fuze while the car is already on, the MP3 player shows the screen and it plays fine, just nothing goes out of the speakers and the car shows reading USB or something.

I don’t want to have to control  the fuze through the  car and not be able to scroll through songs or pick what I want.  I want to be able to run it off of the Fuze itself.

I have the Fuze on the first option for the AUX settings - the auto detect or whatever.

I would switch it to the MTP and MSC modes, with no change.

Please keep in mind, I am electronically challenged and any advice needs to be explained like you would to a 8 year old girl.

Do I need to switch the modes and reload all the songs? or get a different connector, like a AUX instead?

Thanks!

Camille 

You need to use Aux to do what you want to do.  When the Fuze (or pretty much any other player) is connected via USB, it basically acts like a USB thumb drive.  The host device (car stereo in this case) reads the files off the player and plays them back itself.  The Fuze doesn’t actually provide the playback functionality in this case, it’s just acting like dumb storage.

Using Aux, the Fuze will behave just like it does when using earphones.

Your solution is simple: plug in the headphone jack to the AUX IN jack of your car stereo via the 3.5mm audio jumper cable only.  Turn up the volume on the Fuze, giving the car stereo full control over the output level.

All you need do to use the Fuze in this mode is a basic USB cigar lighter adapter, to charge the Fuze while being used in the vehicle, or simply rely on its internal battery.

When the Fuze is connected to the USB port of the radio, it sees data on the center pins, and responds just like it is connected to the home computer.  If it’s connected to a basic USB charger, it will operate normally.

Now, the only trick required is to press the pause button when you exit the car, and it will automatically power off, if you are running on the internal battery (depending upon the auto power setting interval).  If your cigar lighter is ON only with the ignition ON, the auto power will work.  If you have constant power there, remember that the Fuze will remain on.

The Fuze will not charge its internal battery when manually turned off.

Bob :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-08-2008 06:54 AM

I also had questions about connectivity in the car and found this thread.  I’m giving one as a gift this Christmas.  Do I need to buy something additional so that he can plug it into his Navigator or are all the basic cords included in the package?  I just want to have everything ready on Christmas Day!

Thanks!

The Fuze comes with the 30-pin to USB cable, but you’ll need a locally available 3.5mm double male stereo jumper cable to plug in to the AUX port.

On the Internet, these little guys are a lot cheaper.

Bob  :wink:

I was using a Belkin kit to hear the mp3 player from my cell on my car stereo and was working like a charm.  I decided to get an mp3 player (my first) for the exclusive purpose of using it in the car, just like the first person posting here.  My car is a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero, cd player and radio, no ports of any kind.  I got the Fuze a few hours ago and tried it with the same kit, “Belkin TuneCast Universal FM Transmitter - Part # F8M066”.  I could not hear anything.  The city where I am at the moment is inundated with radio stations, making it virtually impossible to find a station like the manual for the TuneCast describes: “Find a frequency without a station on it. A good frequency will be between other stations, with a lot of static”   I tried again with the cell phone and I could barely hear some garbled resemblance of the song that was supposed to be playing.  I tried again with the Sansa Fuze and this time I could hear (barely) the jumping from one song to another, nothing more.  What can I do to use the mp3 player in my car?  Again, that is the only reason why I got it and it seems that other people are having problems making it work with their cars.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Aside from finding a channel, try turning up the volume on your Fuze.

I tried using an aux cable with my Fuze in the car and the music sounded horrible. I needed to turn the Fuzz up all the way and the car stereo up all the way just to be able to hear it and what I can hear is muffled. I made sure each end was plugged in completely.  Any ideas what could be wrong?