Can't get exported .m3u playlists (from MM) over to Fuze

I can’t for the life of me get a working playlist (that is not empty) from mediamonkey over to the fuze.  I’ve tried all kinds of workarounds and read all the threads.  I’m assuming that the fuze with the latest frirmware can read a .m3u and that the playlists could be dropped by windows (in MTP mode) into the playlist folder on the fuze.

If these assumptions are correct could someone tell me - or post a clip - of what the .m3u playlist should look like?  All my attempts yield empty playlists and I’m assuming it has something to do with incorrect pathnames.

The lastest attempt looked like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:310,Yo LA Tengo - The Room Got Heavy
…\Yo La Tengo- I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass- 07 - The Room Got Heavy.mp3
#EXTINF:268,PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
…\PJ Harvey- Rid of Me- 01 - Rid of Me.mp3
#EXTINF:261,Cabaret Voltaire - Seconds Too Late
…\Cabaret Voltaire- Radiation- BBC Recordings 84-86- 09 - Seconds Too Late.mp3

but I’m still getting an “empty” playlist on the fuze.

Thanks a million,

Chris

The Fuze won’t accept a “…/” in the path, so just put the playlist in the root and take out all the “…/”

It depends where your m3u file is saved. The …\ at the start of the file line says start in this directory, go to the parent directory, then from there go to the sub directory ‘Yo La Tengo’

I would say the issue is caused by MM. I would download and install MP3Tag, it creates playlists that use a relative path. If I save the playlist in the MUSIC folder I get:

Ricki_Lee\2007-Brand_New_Day\01_Cant_Sing_A_Different_Song.ogg

Ricki_Lee\2007-Brand_New_Day\02_Brand_New_Day.ogg

If I save the exact same playlist inside the Ricki_Lee sub-folder I get:

2007-Brand_New_Day\01_Cant_Sing_A_Different_Song.ogg

2007-Brand_New_Day\02_Brand_New_Day.ogg

ok - things are clearing up a bit.  Question:  my playlist has …\ at the beginner but Gabe565 you’re using …/ - I assume this is a typo?

So - if I want to put playlists in the “playlist” directory on the fuze then each element should read some thing like:

#EXTM3U
…\music\Yo La Tengo- I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass- 07 - The Room Got Heavy.mp3
…\music\PJ Harvey- Rid of Me- 01 - Rid of Me.mp3

with a …\music\ in front that will tell it to go to the root and then to music.  I’m assuming that the fuze created the rest o of the directory structure  i.e.

\Yo La Tengo- I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass- 07 - The Room Got Heavy.mp3

based on the tags.  Am I getting warm?

Thanks.

Chris

@cjcrawford wrote:

#EXTM3U
…\music\Yo La Tengo- I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass- 07 - The Room Got Heavy.mp3
…\music\PJ Harvey- Rid of Me- 01 - Rid of Me.mp3

with a …\music\ in front that will tell it to go to the root and then to music.  I’m assuming that the fuze created the rest o of the directory structure  i.e.

Yes I just tested it with MP3Tag and it does create the playlist in the ‘playlists’ directory like so:

…\music\Ricki_Lee\2007-Brand_New_Day\01_Cant_Sing_A_Different_Song.ogg
…\music\Ricki_Lee\2007-Brand_New_Day\02_Brand_New_Day.ogg

Next firmware will fix this, but for now you cant use relative path.

@sansafix wrote:
Next firmware will fix this, but for now you cant use relative path.

I must admit I only tested the creation of the playlists, not the use of them.I can confirm the playlist is recognised but is empty if you put a playlist in the “Playlist” directory that contains entries like:

…\MUSIC\Ricki_Lee\2007-Brand_New_Day\01_Cant_Sing_A_Different_Song.ogg
…\MUSIC\Ricki_Lee\2007-Brand_New_Day\02_Brand_New_Day.ogg

The solution to the original problem is to create playlists and save them in the MUSIC or subfolders… at least until the next firmware is released.

Thanks for the test Hazza - I staill can’t find a playlist that works.  I’ve tried stripping the leading directory indications progressively and putting them in both the root and music folder but still can’t get one that plays.  Have you tested this and if so what does it look like?  Thanks

Chris

p.s. I just tried creating a “GoList” playlist internally on the fuze to see if I could find and then analyze it.  The playlist is definately accessible on the Fuze but when I look at it with windows I can’t find it anywhere.

p.p.s

just tried creating playlist to go in the root that look exactly like your suggestion in an earlier post (but with my files that are on the fuze of course):

If it is saved in the root directory the file should have lines that look like this:

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\01_Play_Your_Part_(Pt._1).ogg

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\02_Shut_The_Club_Down.ogg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

but no luck - playlist still show up empty

Message Edited by cjcrawford on 02-10-2009 01:18 PM

Message Edited by cjcrawford on 02-10-2009 01:33 PM

@cjcrawford wrote:

Thanks for the test Hazza - I staill can’t find a playlist that works.  I’ve tried stripping the leading directory indications progressively and putting them in both the root and music folder but still can’t get one that plays.  Have you tested this and if so what does it look like?  Thanks

Chris

p.s. I just tried creating a “GoList” playlist internally on the fuze to see if I could find and then analyze it.  The playlist is definately accessible on the Fuze but when I look at it with windows I can’t find it anywhere.

p.p.s

just tried creating playlist to go in the root that look exactly like your suggestion in an earlier post (but with my files that are on the fuze of course):

If it is saved in the root directory the file should have lines that look like this:

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\01_Play_Your_Part_(Pt._1).ogg

MUSIC\Girl_talk\2008-Feed_the_Animals\02_Shut_The_Club_Down.ogg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

but no luck - playlist still show up empty

1. Yes I have tested this, all of my playlists are in the root directory.
  2. The internal “GoList” is not accessable via Windows, my guess is that it is stored inside the database.
  3. Yes that is what the entry’s in the playlist should look like if it is saved in the root directory.
    What are you using to create the playlists? I highly recommend MP3Tag (on Windows) or EasyTag (on Linux).

Using MediaMonkey.  I’ve got MP3tag but it doesn’t create the kind of random playlists with controlable sizes, genres, and durations that MediaMonkey does.  Don’t know what my problem is yet but I’ll keep looking.

thanks

Chris