Cannot fill 8GB SDHC card

Greetings all at this forum.

I am having a bit of trouble and would appreciate any help.

A couple of months ago I purchased a Fuze 8GB and a PNY Micro SD card. The card did not increase the capacity at all. I did not attack the problem at the time.

Yesterday I went to Costco as they had the 8GB model on for $59. (Thinking one in my desk drawer at work would be nice) I also purchased a SanDisk 8GB MicroSDHC card.

Same problem as the other unit. I cannot utilize the extra 8GB I installed.

I attempted to load my entire collection of WMP files on it. The capacity ran out at 7.? GB. I attempted to format the card with a USB reader with no success. The reader is pre SDHC days.

Going to Settings/System Settings/Info I get:

Version V02.02.26A

Memory 7548 MB

Free 7336 MB

SD Card 7572 MB

Songs2253

Voice recordings 0

All others listed 0

I did search the other posts but found nothing identical.

I am using MSC mode and drag and drop from a USB hard drive.

Under my computer I see the Sansa fuse with properties of 7.? GB and as a removable drive of 7.8 GB

I am running XP SP3 on a Celeron a few years old. My laptop is a Celeron as well and behaves the same way.

As long as you’re actually able to get 7.x GB of music onto the card, this is normal.

Your computer sees the Sansa with the card in it as two disc drives: one for the Sansa’s internal memory, another for the card. The Sansa display reads everything (unless you go into Folders view under Music, which separates them again), but it shows a little card icon next to files on the card.

7.572 GB is all you’re going to get on that card. 

You don’t actually get 8 GB because a computer (with its binary brain) wants a kilobyte to be 2 to the 10th power,  2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2=1024 bytes (not 1000 bytes) and a gigabtye to be 1024 x 1024 x 1024 =2 to the 30th power =1,073,741,824 bytes. Meanwhile,  memory-card and hard-drive manufacturers insist a gigabyte is only 1 billion bytes.

The difference starts to add up, as you have discovered. There have even been lawsuits charging false marketing. But an 8GB card will be  seen by your computer as less than 8GB.  Ditto for the Fuze’s internal memory, and if you take a look at your computer’s hard drive you’ll probably see some missing megabytes, too.

It’s fully explained here:

There are also a few system files on the card and internal memory that have to be there so they will work, which subtracts a little bit more from the 8GB, but the main problem is the diference between binary and decimal–or between advertising and reality. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 12-05-2009 04:52 PM

Thank you for the reply, however I did not explain myself properly.

I have the internal memory of 8GB, plus the card at 8GB. I should be able to load 14+GB on the fuze.

I also put the card in the adapter to unlock it. It made no difference.

Sorry for my poor explanation.

Again thank you for your reply.

jbrown wrote:

Thank you for the reply, however I did not explain myself properly.

I have the internal memory of 8GB, plus the card at 8GB. I should be able to load 14+GB on the fuze.

I also put the card in the adapter to unlock it. It made no difference.

Sorry for my poor explanation.

Again thank you for your reply.

Are you trying to load the card while it is in the reader or in the Fuze? The other thing, is you have to load it as two seperate entities when you drag and drop. Say your Fuze is drive J:, then the card in it would show up as drive K: …each half must be loaded independently.  

Are you saying you can’t write anything onto the card? Can you write onto the Fuze itself? 

Edit: Just thought of something. You said you put your WMP library on it. That probably meant switching to MTP mode to communicate with WMP.

Your computer only sees files transferred in one mode at a time–MSC files or MTP files. (The Fuze doesn’t care.) So if you were using WMP, those files are in MTP and not visible when you’re looking in MSC. Switch modes (to MTP) and look again.  

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 12-05-2009 05:38 PM

Thank you kind sirs. Joan Baez once again reverbs through an old Hippie’s ears.

I had assumed that the memory simply expanded when I put the card in.

Another confusing point was under properties it showed up as 0/0 bytes.

But all is well and thank you.

I blew it again. The problem was I was not loading the card and Fuze separately.

Glad it worked out…enjoy! :smileyvery-happy: