Before buying my sister a sansa clip

Lately my sister thought about purchasong a new mp3, why? She wanted something small like the iPod Shuffle that can be attached to the collar of her cloth. Now the dilema was between several players:
*Sansa Clip (With all the hype around it, How could i miss it?)

*Creative Zen Stone Plus
*iPod Shuffle (I hate iPod but i heard it’s a good player)

The one i thought would be best was the clip since the Zen doesn’t support hebrew and since the shuffle doesn’t have a screen at all. However testing the one of my friend’s clip made me realize: The Volume Output is poor!!!

I’m using Senheisser CX500 earphones, One of the thing about these earphones is that they don’t need a lot of output to reach volumes other (Boxed/Cheap earphones) would need… Setting the Volume to High and raising up all those things in the EQ solved the problem (It actually blew my ears off) for those rock/metal/etc. music. However listening to “Stairway to Heaven” on a crowded bus would prove impossible. In these situation my sansa view would giggle as i would raise the volume even higher. The clip couldn’t even display a “Sorry” on the screen…

I’m not sure about the shuffle, But i now the Stone Plus (A friend of mine has the one with the speaker) has plenty of volume output to play with, And before buying her one player or the other i wanted to now if there’s a firmware update or a specific model (Maybe the 4GB clip) the overcomes the volume output problem.

Oh and BTW she already has a pair of Senheisser CX500 as well and all the idea is that she ould have a player that can clip on her collar, So please, No “Buy these earphones” or “Buy an amplifier”… It would miss the point…

Thanks ahead,
Yaacov 

I don’t know what the issue is with your friend’s clip with poor output.  I have 2 8GB clips and use them with a variety of headphones; with only 1 pair reaching the same sensitivity as the CX500’s and there is volume to spare on my units.  In fact, I rarely go much higher on the volume control than 50-60%, even in the most noisiest conditions.

That leaves me to believe that the source files on your friend’s clip were recorded low or had some other issue.

I know this doesn’t answer your question directly, but just wanted to let you know that the volume output of the clip is more than adequate for my needs.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 03-18-2009 01:52 AM

His song was ripped from an original CD at a decent bitrate and sampling… One thing did hit me: You said you have 2 8GB units… The first models of the clip only had 1 and 2GB (My friend has a 2GB), Leaving me to believe they overcame the problem on the later models, Or perhaps the same firmware update supporting FLAC overcame the output problem, Is there a way to verify it?

@lok_fanboy wrote:
His song was ripped from an original CD at a decent bitrate and sampling… One thing did hit me: You said you have 2 8GB units… The first models of the clip only had 1 and 2GB (My friend has a 2GB), Leaving me to believe they overcame the problem on the later models, Or perhaps the same firmware update supporting FLAC overcame the output problem, Is there a way to verify it?

The firmware is periodically upgraded and improved.  I didn’t even play my units before upgrading the firmware to the latest version, after purchased.  Even if there were an output issue (which I doubt) upgrading to latest firmware would solve any issues the previous versions may have had.

I can only speak as a happy consumer.  I have 4 Sandisk products: 2 - 8 GB Fuzes, and 2 - 8 GB clips and the output is great with all 4.

Wow! Constant firmware upgrading! As a sansa View owner i wouldn’t know about that field…

However i’ll take your word for it and purchase her a 4GB clip, I think it’ll do the job great… Thank you very much

@lok_fanboy wrote:

Wow! Constant firmware upgrading! As a sansa View owner i wouldn’t know about that field…

However i’ll take your word for it and purchase her a 4GB clip, I think it’ll do the job great… Thank you very much

Just to make sure the clip will fit your needs, you may want to bring the CX500’s along with you, if you are getting it from a “brick & mortar” store.  Many places have a demo unit on hand and will allow you to listen before purchase.

I certainly hope you as happy with the product as I am!!!

PS.  This is comming from a previous die-hard Creative fan…

I have 2GB, 4GB and 8GB models, the volume is great on all (and has been throughout, before and after firmware upgrades).  I would suggest checking the volume is set to HIGH in the settings, and checking the volume of the original file.  I would expect either the volume setting to be wrong or the original file’s volume to be low on your friend’s player.