As of 03/17/2012 Best Buy has Sandisk flash drives w/U3

I recently bought a Sandisk flash drive that was advertised to have U3 programming built in. Once I had the drive home and opened the packaging I realised that the advertisement was wrong. Why is U3 still being advertised if it is not being produced and longer? Now that I have the packaging open it is non returnable. I am stuck with a flash drive that I do not need. I had solely bought this drive for the U3 features. Best Buy is not the only one using these advertisements either, they are just the ones that I chose to buy from.

Now that I have the packaging open it is non returnable.”

I’m not sure that is true.  If you return the drive, the packaging and the sales slip they should refund or exchange the drive.  Not the same as buying a CD.

And make sure you complain to BestBuy that their advertizing is wrong.

There are issues with U3 that’s why it has been stopped temporarily. I would be okay without having it. 

@kuerten wrote:

There are issues with U3 that’s why it has been stopped temporarily. I would be okay without having it. 

I don’t call 3 years “temporary”. As I understand it, that’s how long it’s been since SanDisk dropped it.

SanDisk sold the rights to Microsoft.  Unless SanDisk can buy it back it’s gone forever.

that really stinks. I was really looking forward to using U3 thchnology. I was excited to see that Best Buy still had it. I have been looking for my reciept for days now, Im thinking that it was thrown away. I’ll give Best Buy a call and see if they can at least fix the web site. Im the mean time since I have no reciept, I guess Im stuck. 

If you paid via a credit or debit card, Best buy should be able to look up your transaction if you know what day you bought it on.

@shadowtek wrote:
I recently bought a Sandisk flash drive that was advertised to have U3 programming built in. Once I had the drive home and opened the packaging I realised that the advertisement was wrong. Why is U3 still being advertised if it is not being produced and longer? Now that I have the packaging open it is non returnable. I am stuck with a flash drive that I do not need. I had solely bought this drive for the U3 features. Best Buy is not the only one using these advertisements either, they are just the ones that I chose to buy from.

Try your Sandisk Flash Drive in a WindowsXP puter.  Now do you see the u3 software?

u3 will not show up in a Windows7 puter, until Flash Drive u3 software is updated.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/240/kw/u3/r_id/101834/sno/0

@ed_p wrote:

SanDisk sold the rights to Microsoft.  Unless SanDisk can buy it back it’s gone forever.

Wow, where do you get this info?  Its amazing how people will post anything that comes to mind.

Sadly people will post anything that comes to mind, just for increased post counts.  

Misinformation degrades forums like SanDisk.

u3 is still owned by SanDisk.  Originally u3 was formed with SanDisk and M-Systems.  SanDisk aquired M-Systems for 1.55B in NOV 2006.  SanDisk did not sell u3 to Microsoft.

Microsoft and Sandisk created Startkey, which is yet to get off the ground.

@shadowtek wrote:

that really stinks. I was really looking forward to using U3 thchnology. I was excited to see that Best Buy still had it. I have been looking for my reciept for days now, Im thinking that it was thrown away. I’ll give Best Buy a call and see if they can at least fix the web site. Im the mean time since I have no reciept, I guess Im stuck. 

Try the SanDisk drive in a WindowsXP puter.  Do you see the U3 software now?

You need to update your software in the drive to use u3 with a Windows7 puter.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/240/kw/u3/r_id/101834/sno/0

SanDisk did not sell u3 to Microsoft.

Microsoft and Sandisk created Startkey, which is yet to get off the ground."

Whatever.  The Microsoft/SanDisk deal prevents SanDisk from manufacturing U3 devices on it’s own.  And SanDisk stopped making them in Sept or Nov of 2009.

So do you think a SanDisk drive made 2-3 or more years ago would still be available for sale at BestBuy this month?  Really!!  Personally I highly doubt it thus the OP’s problem is not a U3 problem.

As for U3, a non-Windows 7 U3 version device worked just fine in a Windows 7 32-bit system, in native mode, for me.  It didn’t when I tried it in a Windows 7 64-bit machine though, even after upgrading the U3 sw to the latest version.  It does work in the 64-bit machine once I set Windows 7 to run U3 in Vista compatibility mode.