Adding microSDHC memory

If I got one of those 8 meg micro SDHC cards and put it into the MP3 player, does this then reflect that the player has 12meg all as one in memory?   Or do you end up seeing one place for the existing 4meg and another for 8meg?   Meaning 2 “drives”  to write to.  

I’d prefer it was 12 all as one.   I’ve been putting talking books on it.   Right now I can only get 3 cd’s onto the player.   Normally, a ‘book’ will have about 8 – 10  CD’s.   Maybe more…   

Reason I ask, if it was split then I’d have to put some CD’s on the 4 meg  and  the rest on the 8 meg…??   Rather than just loading all into one 12 meg.

@packgy wrote:

If I got one of those 8 meg micro SDHC cards and put it into the MP3 player, does this then reflect that the player has 12meg all as one in memory?

No.

Or do you end up seeing one place for the existing 4meg and another for 8meg?   Meaning 2 “drives”  to write to.

Yes.

I’d prefer it was 12 all as one.   I’ve been putting talking books on it.   Right now I can only get 3 cd’s onto the player.  

Lordy, what format & bit-rate are you ripping to? :dizzy_face:

Normally, a ‘book’ will have about 8 – 10  CD’s.   Maybe more…   

Reason I ask, if it was split then I’d have to put some CD’s on the 4 meg  and  the rest on the 8 meg…??   Rather than just loading all into one 12 meg.

4GB (not megs) is more than enough space for at least one complete audio book (spanning 8-10 CDs) and probably 3 or more. Use .mp3 format and a lower bit-rate than you would normally use for music. You don’t need a higher quality for spoken-word files. 128kbps or even 64 is quite adequate.

@packgy wrote:

If I got one of those 8 meg micro SDHC cards and put it into the MP3 player, does this then reflect that the player has 12meg all as one in memory?

No.

Or do you end up seeing one place for the existing 4meg and another for 8meg?   Meaning 2 “drives”  to write to.

Yes.

I’d prefer it was 12 all as one.   I’ve been putting talking books on it.   Right now I can only get 3 cd’s onto the player.  

Lordy, what format & bit-rate are you ripping to?

4GB (not megs) is more than enough space for at least one complete audio book (spanning 8-10 CDs) and probably 3 or more. Use .mp3 format and a lower bit-rate than you would normally use for music. You don’t need a higher quality for spoken-word files. 128kbps or even 64 is quite adequate.

You’d probably have room for both War & Peace AND Gone With The Wind! Then yo ucan use the 8GB card for The Bible (both Old and New Testaments). :laughing:

@packgy wrote:

No.

Yes.

Lordy, what format & bit-rate are you ripping to?

You’d probably have room for both War & Peace AND Gone With The Wind! Then you can use the 8GB card for The Bible (both Old and New Testaments).

Yes, should of said Gigs not Meg.   I just pop in CD and use Media Player to Rip the tracks.  Each CD then appears as a folder on my

desktop.  Then I Drag/Drop the folder to SanDisk  AudiBook folder.    I must be missing a compression step or something akin to that?

8GB ought to hold roughly 35 hours of audiobooks (roughly 30-40 CDs) at 64kbps. More if you don’t mind slightly lower quality.

I’m getting smarter.   I never noticed that Media player let you select the type of Rip format.    So I changed it from WAV to MP3.  I ended up with MP3 format being  673  MB  to 67.6  MB  about 1/10 the size.    Guess I won’t be needing that extra memory.   :smiley:

First time on the forum and it saved me money alreay!  

Although the Clip will show two separate drives/folders under its Folder view (at the bottom of the Music listing), when you go to the database selections in the Music listing, such as the Albums, Audiobooks, Song titles, Podcasts and Artists listings, all your content between the 2 sources (the internal and the external memory) will appear in one list. The best of both worlds! :slight_smile:

“8GB ought to hold roughly 35 hours of audiobooks (roughly 30-40 CDs) at 64kbps”

I guess you made a typo. A single GB holds around 36 hours of content at 64kbps.

I use 32kbps mono mp3 for spoken word files. I think the sound quality is fine at 32kbps. Any lower than 32kbps, and the sound quality decreases substantially.

How reliable is adding memory to sandisk 4gb mp3 player?

Are there any limitations as to how much memory you can add?? ( ie: can I add 16 gb to a 4gb unit???)

What is a comparable price to pay for microSDHC memory chip??

Thanks!!

lbriscoe4@comcast.net

@lbriscoe4 wrote:

How reliable is adding memory to sandisk 4gb mp3 player?

Don’t know what exactly you’re asking here . . . does it work? Yes. Do some people have problems? Yes . . . if they themselves cause it. But if you’ve sucessfully added files to the player’s internal memory and have no problems, you shouldn’t have any trouble in adding them to a memory card. The cards themselves are extremely reliable and durable, although tiny so you could lose them when out of the player if you’re not careful. :wink:

Are there any limitations as to how much memory you can add?? ( ie: can I add 16 gb to a 4gb unit???)

The size of the internal memory chip has nothing to do with how large a memory card you can use. The largest SDHC card you can add is 32GB, although with reformatting (the card) you can also use the new larger 64GB SDXC card.

What is a comparable price to pay for microSDHC memory chip??

Depends on the size and where you buy it. I would advise against buying any from dealers on eBay. You will find unbelievable prices . . . for a reason. They’re mostly fake and/or counterfeit.

Amazon and other reputable on-line dealers have good prices, exceptional service and shipping and will stand behind what they sell, replacing any defective or problem products very efficiently and without hassle. I’m not going to shop around and give you links to memory cards; you’re intelligent enough to do that. Besides, that’s half the fun. :laughing:

Thanks!!

<e-mail address removed>

Bad idea here, unless you want your private In-box deluged with more spam than you probably already get. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can edit yor post and remove this using the Options button in the upper right corner of the message post (straight across from the Subject line).

MicroSD card prices have been coming down dramatically.  An electronics store near me has had some great deals at around $22 for a _ 32GB _ card–amazing!

http://www.frys.com/ads/page7

Currently showing a 32GB card at $23 (after rebate) and a 16GB card at a low $9.  

And they have a 1-day sale today (June 30) on a Class 10 32GB microSD card (Polaroid brand), at $23 with no rebate–with low $1.99 shipping.  Cool!

http://www.frys.com/product/7080471?site=sa:adpages%20page:Sat_p11