A new owner & a few preliminary questions

I finally cashed in some credit card rewards points and got myself something I wouldn’t have otherwise spent any money on… an MP3 player, namely a 4G Sansa Fuze - “free”!  I’m looking forward to receiving it, and I’m happy to have found this community. I have already started ripping my own CD collection and downloading audiobooks from librivox.org.

A couple questions in the meantime -  I have spotty internet connection at home, so I’ll have to take my laptop on the road to update firmware, etc. Should I load the “firmware updater” software, or update manually? (will the firmware updater be *annoying* if it can’t find an internet connection the majority of the time?)  Will the lack of internet connectivity cause any other problems I should be aware of?

I have no intention of paying for music or books (did I mention I’m cheap?).  Is there any reason for me to load Rhapsody? 

Thanks,

Christiane

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

I finally cashed in some credit card rewards points and got myself something I wouldn’t have otherwise spent any money on… an MP3 player, namely a 4G Sansa Fuze - “free”!  I’m looking forward to receiving it, and I’m happy to have found this community. I have already started ripping my own CD collection and downloading audiobooks from librivox.org.

A couple questions in the meantime -  I have spotty internet connection at home, so I’ll have to take my laptop on the road to update firmware, etc. Should I load the “firmware updater” software, or update manually? (will the firmware updater be *annoying* if it can’t find an internet connection the majority of the time?)  Will the lack of internet connectivity cause any other problems I should be aware of?

I have no intention of paying for music or books (did I mention I’m cheap?).  Is there any reason for me to load Rhapsody? 

Thanks,

Christiane

I would not recomend the updater, it wont freak out with out the net but it is annoying, so manual update will serve you better. The lack of internet shouldnt be an issue either when it comes to the player, but when it comes to your music it may be. The Fuze navigates based on Id3tags that are embedded in the files, these are often edited using the internet, so for this reason I would recomend you make sure you are connected and then let the program you use set the id3tags for the songs. And no… you dont have to have rhapsody.

Thanks -what’s contained in the ID3 tags? I’m assuming the Album/artist/genre/track information?

I’ll have to see if WMP can still “Find Album Info” when I do get connected!  I manually edited basic album information as I went (Album/artist/genre, no track info), but WMP was really unpredictable about what it would save so I’d have to re-edit album/artist tags via Vista Explorer for the ones it missed and manually move files around so all mp3s showed up under the appropriate album folder.  Hopefully, I haven’t confused it too much by entering manually.  (I’ll have to give MediaMonkey or WinAMP a try!)

Thanks!

Everything is in the Id3 Tag, Not only Title Artis Album and Genre but Track#, Release date, Composer, group members, And album art. Now the fuze will only care bout Title Artist Album Genre and Album Art. Media Monkey will do the taging for you (You have to help a little), but you have to be online.