8 gb clip file limit

since we now have a 8 gb clip will the file limit be the same as the fuzes with about 4000 files

Yes

the actual file limit is 4120.

Why is there any limit at all?  I just bought an 8 GB Sansa Fuze yesterday, to which I added an 8GB microSD card, to which I uploaded 12,000 WMA files, of which I can only access a third.  Needlessly to say, I am extremely disappointed.  It’s going back to the store unless I find out that a near-future firmware upgrade will eliminate this crippling limitation.

12,000? Are you kidding me? Are they all 30 seconds long @ 64 kbps? :dizzy_face:

Seriously though, it is a design limitation that SanDisk is hoping they can fix via firmware update. But it probably won’t be anytime in the near future. They’ve already said it’s a long-term project requiring a major re-working of the OS. Sorry. :cry:

@tapeworm wrote:

@121,000? Are you kidding me? Are they all 30 seconds long @ 64 kbps? :dizzy_face:

I was wondering the same thing!

Thanks for your response. 

The number 12,000 represents the sum total of all the tracks in my 1,000-CD collection (which isn’t that large compared to some other guys I know), all ripped and converted to 64 kbps WMA files.  It was my hope to essentially carry my CD collection with me on one device wherever I go, as I travel a lot.

That the Sansa Fuze can’t handle a large number of files as well as Windows 95 is ridiculous, and is something I wished I’d known about before purchasing it.  It’s going back to Costco in the morning.

@dennisqwilson wrote:
Why is there any limit at all? 

I would think is has to do with the database that the player uses to keep track of the files.  With smaller capacity players ~4000 files was probably plenty.  Most of my files are between 3.5 and 5.5 MB, so even at the lower size I would only be able to fit 2500 or so on my 8GB clip.  Some people do use a lower bitrate to squeeze more files onto a player, but your 64KB is about half of what than I’ve heard of being used for that before.  I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it, just that it might be unusual.

FWIW, Sandisk is working on the limit for all of their players. There may be variables or arrays in the OS that need to be re-sized to accomodate a larger database.  It’s really not a simple task, but they are working on it.

@jkj1962 wrote:

@dennisqwilson wrote:
Why is there any limit at all? 

I would think is has to do with the database that the player uses to keep track of the files.  With smaller capacity players ~4000 files was probably plenty.  Most of my files are between 3.5 and 5.5 MB, so even at the lower size I would only be able to fit 2500 or so on my 8GB clip.  Some people do use a lower bitrate to squeeze more files onto a player, but your 64KB is about half of what than I’ve heard of being used for that before.  I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with it, just that it might be unusual.

FWIW, Sandisk is working on the limit for all of their players. There may be variables or arrays in the OS that need to be re-sized to accomodate a larger database.  It’s really not a simple task, but they are working on it.

I have just over 2,300 on my 12gb Clip , but I have a lot of long songs too:smiley:

Sounds to me like if the Fuze permitted us to navigate folders a la Windows Explorer, rather than relying on a database, this limitation wouldn’t exist. 

It’s amazing to me – and unconscionable, really, considering the price difference – that the 8 GB Fuze can’t hold a greater number of tracks than the 2 GB model.

I’m guessing that the database approach is also the reason for the lengthy and needless delays we get when removing the Fuze connector from the PC.

I appreciate that Sansa is aware of the issue and working on a firmware fix, though.  How regularly does Sansa come out with updates?

I bought mine in early September, and there’s been one update since then…and the next one is imminent

@dennisqwilson wrote:

That the Sansa Fuze can’t handle a large number of files as well as Windows 95 is ridiculous, and is something I wished I’d known about before purchasing it.  It’s going back to Costco in the morning.

You have to keep in mind that the Clip is a simple digital player. It has limited resources; even its RAM is contained in the processor. The people who designed it probably thought that a 4000-song limit was enough, so they hardcoded in the firmware. Now that the capacity has reached 8GB, they are bound to increase it sooner or later.

For the Clip and Fuze, pretty regularly.  Keep an eye on the board here, as SanDisk has been refining these devices.

You can either install the Sansa Updater to look automatically when your device is plugged in, or like many of us here, we like the old fashioned way.

The file limitation issue will be solved in due time.  For a large file count, the current option is to use multiple µSD or µSDHC cards with your collection divided up.  The cards are quite inexpensive, and definitely portable.  Now, if only SanDisk had a cool card wallet for them…

The Clip can be readily loaded with music for your particular tastes, by grouping your collection for quick transfer, as folders on the desktop for example.  Or you can build playlists.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I have just over 2,300 on my 12gb Clip , but I have a lot of long songs too:smiley:

And just where, if I may ask did you find a 12GB Clip, Marvin? :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

And just where, if I may ask did you find a 12GB Clip, Marvin? :stuck_out_tongue:

He was working on his Eludium-PU36 explosive space modulator and accidentally created a time rift.  Frankly I think he should have stood in bed.:stuck_out_tongue:

Look at the details, it’s 12GB total in his Fuze , a simple error.  But 12GB in a Clip would be nice, come to think of it…

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-01-2008 09:01 PM

@neutron_bob wrote:

Look at the details, it’s 12GB total in his Fuze , a simple error.  But 12GB in a Clip would be nice, come to think of it…

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-01-2008 09:01 PM

Yes, this is what posting pre-coffee can do to you :smileywink