I have a WD My book which I bought 3/4 months ago. Yesterday I was working with it connect to my mac, and I needed to restart the computer as it was crashing. Since then the ssd does not show anymore in my mac.
If I access the WD Discovery app it shows the disk is connect but it doesn’t even show the capacity of the disk as it usually did.
After reading in the internet I suspect the disk is performing some task but I can’t find which in the activity monitor.
There are number of reasons why your hard drive, flash drive, USB drive, or SSD might not be showing up. It may have been formatted incorrectly, it may be corrupted, it may have a faulty (or inadequate) cable, or there could be something else. To fix the problem you can try the below methods:
Edit your Preferences under Finder Preference
Check the cable
Try on another Mac and then try on PC
Use Disk Utility for First Aid
Change the Drive format
Try data recovery tool
If above methods won’t help, then try using reliable data recovery tool such as Stellar Data Recovery to recover data from affected drive.
Further, you can also check the below for steps to be followed in each method mentioned above:
I’d first check Disk Utility and see whether the WD My Book appears there, even if the volume isn’t mounted. Also try another USB cable/port and restart the Mac with the drive disconnected, then reconnect it. If Disk Utility shows the physical drive but no capacity/partition, avoid initializing or formatting it, especially if the data is important.
To get a detailed guide to fix a WD hard drive not showing up.