v1 or v2 - How to tell?

I’ve been looking online for a v1 2GB Fuze, but I cannot tell from the product descriptions alone whether a particular model is a v1 or v2 Fuze.

However, I have noticed that some 2GB Fuzes have the model number SDMX14R-002GK-A 57 , and others have the model number SDMX14R-002GK-A 70 (and sometimes the A is a C ).

Can anyone from SanDisk confirm (or deny) that the model number indicates the version number (1 or 2)? Perhaps the ones with a model number that ends in 57 are v1 Fuzes, and the ones with a model number that ends in 70 are v2 Fuzes?

The only way to tell is to turn on the player and check the firmware version. 

My 8GB v1 Fuze has the number SDMX14R-008GK-E57.

@earthcrosser wrote:

So there is one bit of evidence for the 57=v1, 70=v2 model number hypothesis.

Can anyone else share their model numbers and Fuze version numbers? If it seems that most 57s are v1, I might take the risk and buy a 57.

Fuzilli wrote:

@earthcrosser wrote:

So there is one bit of evidence for the 57=v1, 70=v2 model number hypothesis.

Can anyone else share their model numbers and Fuze version numbers? If it seems that most 57s are v1, I might take the risk and buy a 57.

As previously stated in post #2, the only way to tell is to turn it on and look at the firmware version.

@marvin_martian wrote:

As previously stated in post #2, the only way to tell is to turn it on and look at the firmware version.

What evidence is there for that assertion? Has SanDisk confirmed it? I don’t mean to sound sceptical, but, well, I am. :slight_smile: And even if the 57=v1 hypothesis is just a likelihood rather than a certainty, I’d still be interested to know.

Fuzilli wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

What evidence is there for that assertion? Has SanDisk confirmed it? I don’t mean to sound sceptical, but, well, I am. :slight_smile: And even if the 57=v1 hypothesis is just a likelihood rather than a certainty, I’d still be interested to know.

Ever since the Rockbox port was started for the V1’s, people have been asking this question, how do I tell? Both in this forum, and over at anythingbutipod, the answer has been, turn it on and look at the firmware. DO I assume correctly that is why you want a V1, for the Rockbox port?

@marvin_martian wrote:

Ever since the Rockbox port was started for the V1’s, people have been asking this question, how do I tell? Both in this forum, and over at anythingbutipod, the answer has been, turn it on and look at the firmware. DO I assume correctly that is why you want a V1, for the Rockbox port?

Yes, I want a v1 so that I can install Rockbox on it. (I already have two v1 Fuzes, but I’d like to get another.) I know that a port of Rockbox for the v2 Fuze is under way, but I’d rather get a v1 now if possible and avoid the wait.

Fuzilli wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Yes, I want a v1 so that I can install Rockbox on it. (I already have two v1 Fuzes, but I’d like to get another.) I know that a port of Rockbox for the v2 Fuze is under way, but I’d rather get a v1 now if possible and avoid the wait.

Well, this might convince you…saratoga, who posted the #2 post in this thread, is one of the Rockbox developers.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Well, this might convince you…saratoga, who posted the #2 post in this thread, is one of the Rockbox developers.

That is pretty convincing! Though I’d still like to know why saratoga believes that the only way to be sure is to check the firmware version number.

@fuzilli wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

That is pretty convincing! Though I’d still like to know why saratoga believes that the only way to be sure is to check the firmware version number.

I’ve read the threads by the first couple hundred people to ask this question. 

saratoga wrote:

@fuzilli wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I’ve read the threads by the first couple hundred people to ask this question. 

For 2 whole years the only way to be 100% absolutely certain beyond the shadow of a doubt as to the version of a Fuze or any other Sansa Player for that matter is to check the Firmware version. Everything else is merely guessing. PERIOD 

@conversionbox wrote:

For 2 whole years the only way to be 100% absolutely certain beyond the shadow of a doubt as to the version of a Fuze or any other Sansa Player for that matter is to check the Firmware version. Everything else is merely guessing. PERIOD

By now I get that this idea is the received wisdom. :slight_smile:

But again: I’d like to know why people believe it. Does anyone remember the reason? It could be a myth. This is the internet, after all.

Fuzilli wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

But again: I’d like to know why people believe it. Does anyone remember the reason? It could be a myth. This is the internet, after all.

I hate to do this, but

@fuzilli wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

You must be from Missouri…:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

You must be from Missouri…:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Eh?

@fuzilli wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Eh?

Missouri is the “Show Me” state.

Whether you will be getting a v1 or v2 Fuze is a real pickle, if trying to rely on a posted model number.   The vendor may have simply used one SanDisk description versus the other, as they both refer to the same product.

There’s another problem, one of practicality.  The packaging batch might not match up with the product inside the box.  We ran into this issue with the v1 versus v2 e200 devices; in this case, the difference was quite dramatic, as one machine has a PortalPlayer CPU, and the other has an AustriaMicrosystems CPU like the Fuze.  They all shipped in the same box. 

As the difference is more subtle between the Fuze revisions (the SOC or CPU has embedded SDRAM), there is less reason to denote the difference.  With the Rockbox port, handling the revision change involves working out the internal differences, and of course this takes time.  It’s the success of Rockbox that makes the revision difference significant, ironically.

Saratoga is right, the only way to be sure is to power up the wee beastie.  I can’t help but chuckle, as it reminds me of the quest I had in locating a version-2 e200 to support my Audible habit. The only way I could be sure was to “go direct”, via the Sansa Store.

Bob   :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The vendor may have simply used one SanDisk description versus the other, as they both refer to the same product.

The packaging batch might not match up with the product inside the box.

Sigh. Oh well.

Thanks anyway for the reply!

No one else confused by that comment?

You have TWO V1 Fuzes. I assume they are NOT Rockboxed. So then… um… Rockbox one of the ones you have?!?

Am I missing something???