Title Sorting Algorithm

What is the exact sorting algorithm that the Clip uses?  I saw a previous thread that said only part of the title is used if it contained numbers.

The Clip is the same as any other Sansa player. They sort Alphabetically based on Id3tags embedded in the song file, not by file name. And If you have doe instance songs title 10, 11, and 12, those should be fine of your tags are done right. The issue some have is that if you have songs named 10, 102, and 103, thats where you have issues. You just have to play with it.

I have MP3 files with the same Album, Artist, and Track Number.  I used Mp3tag to remove all existing tags and rewrote them as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. The Titles display in the correct order in Mp3tag and foobar2000.  But they’re in the wrong order on the Clip.

2009-02-22 21:00:00

2001-02-28 18:00:00

2009-03-01 11:00:00

I’ve tried ID3v1, UTF-16, and reformatting.

The files are in folders, and if I move the files from one folder to another the displayed order changes.   I wouldn’t expect this to happen since the Clip doesn’t support folders and it is strictly tag-based.

What are you trying to play?

These are podcasts in MP3 format that are in the Audiobooks folder.  They are in the Audiobooks folder so I can turn off Chapter Mode.  I would like these files to play in the correct order–alphabetically by title.

Message Edited by gregwint on 03-06-2009 01:55 PM

What I do is to Edit the tags with MP3tag, so that the Titles are as follows:

Artist: Album:Title

Freelance Radio 1 (Date 11/29/08)*:Freelance Switch: Whatever

Freelance Radio 2 (January 14.09)*:Freelance Switch: Whatever

etc

Indie Feed1: Blues: Artist Name and Song Title 

Indie Feed2: Rock: Artist name and Song Title

*I dont Put the date in.

So this is a bug then?  Will it be corrected in a future firmware release?

I am not sure you have proved it is a Bug.

First your files only have numbers in them, and next if i have an album and then i list the tracks it is listed by track number under the album not by alphanumeric.

So what are your track numbers? if you have them taged as the same album.

You can always make playlist if all else fails.

This is not that hard if you want them listed alpha order then remove the track number in the tags so you only have the title, or add track munber to the tag title.

Well i have tried this in the audiobooks folder and you are correct it dose not sort correctly for me either. It seems it is sorting by file creataion date and not by tag title or by file name.

I have all file in the audiobooks directory and not in folders for each book. The clips menu dose show them in groups by the album tag but dose not sort them after that.

It turns out you have to have track numbers on all the files in the same album tag. So if you general group for many stories like fiction stories then all files in it need to have track numbers from 1 to xx. Then it worked and sorted correctly.

Message Edited by Rainey on 03-16-2009 09:22 PM

All the files are tagged as the same album and all the track numbers are 1.  The titles sort properly in other applications.  So will this problem be corrected in a future firmware release?

I’ve been using my clip for about a month without any problems, but I seem to be experiencing this sorting problem with a particular album. I always name all of my files same way as far as the file name and the mp3 tags. The files that are giving me a problem are all in a folder and there are subfolders with the name CD01, CD02, etc. and then the files themselves. I am using drag and drop to transfer the files.

The files themselves are named “Artist - Album - CD01 - 01 of 19.Mp3” or whichever CD and track number it is. The Mp3 tags are, Artist - Album - Title - Track#/Max#. The Title is Album - CD01 - 01 of 19.

When I select Music>Artist>Play All, it plays CD01, track 01, then proceeds to CD02, track 01. If I select Music>Song, the files are listed in the correct order and they play in the correct order.

I have tried putting all the files in the same folder (I know this isn’t supposed to matter) and I’ve removed all mp3 tags, both version 1 and 2, and then recreated just the version 2 tags from the filename using ID3-TagIT. I still see the same  behavior.

Any ideas of what else I might try or is this really a bug?

Thanks,

Wes

@wes_r wrote:

I’ve been using my clip for about a month without any problems, but I seem to be experiencing this sorting problem with a particular album. I always name all of my files same way as far as the file name and the mp3 tags. The files that are giving me a problem are all in a folder and there are subfolders with the name CD01, CD02, etc. and then the files themselves. I am using drag and drop to transfer the files.

The files themselves are named “Artist - Album - CD01 - 01 of 19.Mp3” or whichever CD and track number it is. The Mp3 tags are, Artist - Album - Title - Track#/Max#. The Title is Album - CD01 - 01 of 19.

When I select Music>Artist>Play All, it plays CD01, track 01, then proceeds to CD02, track 01. If I select Music>Song, the files are listed in the correct order and they play in the correct order.

I have tried putting all the files in the same folder (I know this isn’t supposed to matter) and I’ve removed all mp3 tags, both version 1 and 2, and then recreated just the version 2 tags from the filename using ID3-TagIT. I still see the same  behavior.

Any ideas of what else I might try or is this really a bug?

Thanks,

Wes

Well the thing I would try if you have a 2 CD set, would be to eliminate your CD01 and CD02,instaead name the album “Name of album Disk 1” I for instance have a 2 Disk album by Paul McCartney, I name the album “Live at Red Square Disk 1” and “Live at Red Square Disk 2”. Then the 2 CDs show as seperate albums. Then What I would do is to add both disks into the Go List. It should play right. Also for track number dont use the “Out of how many” So eliminate the 01 of 19 and just make it 01. The extra numbers will just confuse the player.

Thanks,

I guess the real point is why won’t it play in order the way I have it? Is there a reason it shouldn’t?

If I play it by Song, it seems to sort it and play it correctly.

Yes, I could split it into multiple album names, but I have several thousand albums and a very high percentage are multiple CDs. I could eliminate the out of x tracks, but this works on all my other files and ALL of my files are tagged this way. I have a way to work around the problem, but it does appear to me that there IS a problem.

It seems like the Album sort order is Artist-Album-Track-Title as opposed to Artist-Album-Title-Track as my last player was. This does not seem to be the sort order when viewing or playing by Song… Why the difference?

Wes

@wes_r wrote:

Thanks,

I guess the real point is why won’t it play in order the way I have it? Is there a reason it shouldn’t?

If I play it by Song, it seems to sort it and play it correctly.

Yes, I could split it into multiple album names, but I have several thousand albums and a very high percentage are multiple CDs. I could eliminate the out of x tracks, but this works on all my other files and ALL of my files are tagged this way. I have a way to work around the problem, but it does appear to me that there IS a problem.

It seems like the Album sort order is Artist-Album-Track-Title as opposed to Artist-Album-Title-Track as my last player was. This does not seem to be the sort order when viewing or playing by Song… Why the difference?

Wes

It wont play in the order you have it because the Clip uses tags. It doesnt care how you add them, because its cant tell how you have added them. All it sees that the tag. I have tons of songs too (As of today 105,653 exactly) and I know retagging is a pain so to try and avoid that is a big deal. If you go to Album it should sort alphabetically. If you go to artist then it sorts by Artist-album- title of song. Seems to me that you need to work on the tags that are on the tracks on your player, you are the same as every other person who needs to find what works best for them and do that.

@conversionbox wrote:

It wont play in the order you have it because the Clip uses tags. It doesnt care how you add them, because its cant tell how you have added them. All it sees that the tag. I have tons of songs too (As of today 105,653 exactly) and I know retagging is a pain so to try and avoid that is a big deal. If you go to Album it should sort alphabetically. If you go to artist then it sorts by Artist-album- title of song. Seems to me that you need to work on the tags that are on the tracks on your player, you are the same as every other person who needs to find what works best for them and do that.

I know the Clip uses tags and I have edited the tags. You say that “it sorts by Artist-Album-Title” when in the Artist menu, but my tags ARE in Artist-Album-Title order. The Song display seems to confirm this.

Like I said, I can find a way to make it work, it just doesn’t work as (I) expected or as you seem to indicate it should.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Wes

SanDisk Technical Support has confirmed this is a bug. You should send them an email and encourage them to fix it.

support@sandisk.com

https://www.customernation.com/pls/ps/ps.ps_main?p_host=304&p_supplier=5096&p_parm=PVL

Thanks gregwint!

I can’t view the link you provided. Is there a way to search for this bug or could you provide the text of the bug confirmation or bug number?

Wes

Here’s the email thread with tech support:

Why are my audiobook files sorted like this?

2009-02-22 21:00:00

2001-02-28 18:00:00

2009-03-01 11:00:00

I have set the tags in Mp3tag to ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 ISO. The album and artists are the same, and the track numbers are all 1. 

Hello Greg,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.

You will need to reset the ID3 tags to start something like 01 02 03.
The next album 11 12 13
It is a limitation of the ID3 tag browsing.

Sincerely,
Laurentiu L.
SanDisk Technical Support

Is it the title, track, or album that needs to be changed? Will this problem be corrected in a future firmware release?

Dear Greg,

An updated browsing system is one of the updates that will be tried in future firmware releases.

For the moment you need to try to change the ID3tags in order to have the exact list that you require.

Regards,
Laurentiu L.
Sandisk tech support

Thanks gregwint,

Wes