The Fuze, one of the least worst mp3 players

I have been reconsidering my opinion of the Fuze I bought around a month ago. Of course it isn’t perfect and doesn’t perform exactly as I expected, however in comparison to other players that are available now, it is one of the least worst. For the price, I can’t name a better player. For around one and half times to  double the price some other players may be slightly better than the Fuze, but perhaps not much better overall. Some of these more expensive players are much thicker and/or heavier than the Fuze, and there are things to dislike about those players as well. Many don’t even have a card slot. let’s hope that Sandisk comes out with some new and exciting players that have a full sized SD card slot, navigation by folders or by tags, and longer battery life than the Fuze. It would also be nice to see some new models powered by a AA or AAA battery(I realize they would be thicker than a Fuze, but still okay in size if they fit in a typical shirt pocket). I would also like to see a new model from Sandisk with both AM and FM radio.

I hear what your sayin’ JK but there had to be a better way to word this thread.“Least worst” !?!  

I like the term least worst, since it is saying that it is better than most others available, but still imo nowhere near where it should be. Saying it is one of the best would be implying that it is almost where it should be or could be in terms of quality and features.

Yeah,your right.I like “least worst” better than the explaination… 

I totally understand your point of view.  I have had a Fuze about three weeks or so, and spent a good part of this weekend looking at other flash-based brands, even taking one highly regarded player home expecting to switch.  By the end of the weekend I decided to stick with Fuze for now, which is imperfect in a nmber of ways, but also unique, and outstanding in several.  The good organization, the well integrated expansion card, the automatic bookmarking, the small size and shape of the device, its substantial feel, Rhapsody Channels, the easy to use interface on the run, the FM recording – its best advantages.  Out of sync video, slightly unstable software, slow load into Rhapsody, irritating negatives.  But other brands are not perfect either. 

That’s very true, there’s no perfect player. It amazes me sometimes how poorly some companies understand consumers, or just don’t care.The Fuze gets far more stuff right than wrong. 

A case in point, the Zen X-fi. On the surface it would seem to be a close competitor to the Fuze because it’s also a flash-based player with an expansion slot. The problem is that the expansion slot on the Zen is a joke. Practically none of the player’s functionality can be applied to files that are on the card. No bookmarking, no playlisting, no ID tag sorting, no resume play. The only thing you can do with files on the card is play them, one at a time. If you exit the now playing screen, they stop. That’s it. It’s like when you use the expansion slot you don’t have a Zen anymore, you have a device that can play a file, one file, and do nothing else with it. To call this system ‘memory expansion’ is a complete joke. Constrast that with the Fuze in which anything on the card has all the functionality of the player behind it, and you begin to appreciate the Fuze more. 

I used this example because it’s a clear illustration, but there are many players with features that may look better than the Fuze on the surface, but when you actually buy them and start using them, you see the limitations they have, and you start to appreciate a company like Sandisk that gets it right more than they get it wrong, because believe me, I’ve owned a lot of players, I still do, and it’s rare. 

Navigation by tags is crazy though. While many other mp3 player makers besides Sandisk have navigation by tags, that doesn’t make it any better. I have spent so much time editing and fixing tags, and still feel like I don’t have complete control over how files are organized on my player. It is so easy to have slight variations in tags or missing tags and have files be arranged on the player in an unpredictable manner.

I had a Fuze at one point, but gave it up because when the internal memory’s contents were changed, the Fuze would re-read the entire inserted microSDHC card as well.  This could take up to seven minutes with an 8GB card.  I change the contents of internal memory pretty frequently, so this was unacceptable.

Has a recent firmware update fixed this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-29-2008 09:55 AM

If one plans to change many files on the player, it is probably best to do so on the SD card memory rather than the main memory. Were you using a slow memory card?

@jk98 wrote:

If one plans to change many files on the player, it is probably best to do so on the SD card memory rather than the main memory. Were you using a slow memory card?

I’m not sure what you mean.  Why can’t I change any number of files on main memory rather than the SD card, and then expect that the player will only re-read main memory’s contents, not the SD card? 

Sandisk themselves confirmed that reloading an 8GB card will typically take five to seven minutes (in another thread).

I  am currently running with 16gbs on my Fuze loaded to the gills with video,music,podcasts and pictures.It never takes my Fuze even five minutes to load.You need to find another player,one you’ll be happy with.For myself,i’m good with my Fuze.  

@shmince wrote:
 I  am currently running with 16gbs on my Fuze loaded to the gills with video,music,podcasts and pictures.It never takes my Fuze even five minutes to load.You need to find another player,one you’ll be happy with.For myself,i’m good with my Fuze.  

For people who modify the contents of the internal memory frequently, as I do, it’s not acceptable to wait five+ minutes every time.

By the way, Sandisk has stated that they consider this to be a bug (microSDHC card being re-read when internal memory only has been modified), and they expect to fix it in an upcoming release.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-29-2008 04:56 PM

Magic or not i don’t know and i’m not adept enough to know exactly what it’s doing when it syncs.All i know is, i move files in and out of both internal and external memory almost daily and i’ve yet to run into your particular problem.Tell you what though, next time i sync  i’ll time it to see just how long it takes.I’m guessing three minutes tops.(Now, if it’s attempting to re-read my entire 8 gb microSD card or not i have no idea). I’m certain you do realize though,that   we don’t all expeirience the same problems.Lastly i’d like to add that i’ve yet to re-up to  the latest firmware.My 8gb  Fuze is exactly as it came out of the box.So magic? Could be,could be…  

Five minutes plus? Do you have a class 2 micro SD card? If so, try using a class 6 card if you are impatient.

@jk98 wrote:

Five minutes plus? Do you have a class 2 micro SD card? If so, try using a class 6 card if you are impatient.

Regardless of the time involved, I don’t think it’s reasonable to call it “impatient” if I expect a player to not read the entire contents of an inserted microSDHC card just because I toggled a bit in some song’s data in internal memory.  And what happens if Fuze adds support for larger cards than 8GB?

As I said before, Sandisk itself has stated that they consider this to be a bug, and will fix it in an upcoming release.

“As I said before, Sandisk itself has stated that they consider this to be a bug, and will fix it in an upcoming release.”

That seems to make sense, especially since the current firmware may also have a limit of around 3700 or 4000 songs as some have said. I haven’t tried to put so many songs on my Fuze, so I can’t say whether it is in fact true or not. So a new firmware would probably make 16 gig cards more usable.

I’ll definitely bust that limit when I finally get a 16 gig card…

Still,bug or no i consider this a minor inconvinence at best. A triviality as it were…

Understandable if you don’t change the contents of internal memory frequently.

Has anyone here compared the speed of writing to the internal memory, vs writing to a class 6 card in the player? How about comparing the speed of writing to a card in the player vs writing the same data to the same card in a slot in your pc? Any conclusions drawn from these tests?  I realize that the card interface and the main memory interface are different, so differences in speed will also occur from this.