The above all worse with Sansa Clip Sport is that

there is no Rockbox alternative firmware (and no hope the have one).

Those fellows of Rockbox would be able to give us a super firmware in a glance if there were not the special chipset of the Clip Sport.

A major reason NOT TO BUY IT ! 

Please troll elsewhere.

@jc75 wrote:

there is no Rockbox alternative firmware (and no hope the have one).

Those fellows of Rockbox would be able to give us a super firmware in a glance if there were not the special chipset of the Clip Sport.

A major reason NOT TO BUY IT ! 

I think the sport is fine as a simple, cheap MP3 player.  If you want something more complex, I would look elsewhere.  

Personally, I just don’t “get” the Sport’s limitations in the face of the Clip+ and Clip Zip, with the only real benefit, at least for me, being the double battery charge.  Personally, I’d just prefer charging my other Clip player more frequently. 

After initial disappointment from the several bug reports and especially because of the split database I have somehow made friends with this great looking cheap little player. Sure, it must be seen as a downgrade in terms of functionality, but it has some unexpected strenghts:

The sound quality is excellent, even better than with the already great Clip Zip; it seems to have even greater extension to both frequency extremes (at least it seems so to my ears), and the bass has more substance. The output power is enormous, much higher than with Clip+ and Zip. And even if it’s just higher gain (impossible to judge), the benefit is the same, as I never heard any distortion even at highest volume settings. Moreover you can use a 64 GB microSDXC card with it. In view of the 2000-files limit it should naturally only be accessed via folder mode (with no corresponding limitation) – which is the bad news in this context, since it will limit shuffle play to the folder with the file selected for playback. My solution is to put all MP3s into the «Music» folder without any subfolders. By doing so, selecting a specific song is virtually impossible, as the list is long and scrolls extremely slow (link). The latter also applies to reactions of the player to commands. It gets better when you select the internal memory and perfect when you remove the card.

I forgot to mention: the screen may be larger than with the Zip, but resolution isn’t any better. It’s even harder to read the writings in tiny white characters on a pale blue background.

A reasonable compromise: internal memory filled with your 2000 best songs, stored in a normal folder structure, for direct access (for shuffle play, remove the card!); external card filled with as much songs as you like, stored in the «Music» folder without subfolders, for shuffle play.

1 Like

Now I can confirm that formatting the card to Fat32 helps to get rid of most of the reported delays (see neighbor thread). :smiley:

Well, yes, the Clips use FAT32 . . . .