soundchip quality on the clip+ when compared to the clip zip?

yeah, my faithful clip zip is on it’s last legs display is ready to die, so i need to buy either a new one (hello ebay) or one of the other sandisk models.  now the reason i choose clip zip in the first place was because of the high quality soundchip used in these devices (when compared to the pricepoint of the player itself) and i’m wondering if any of the other players have a soundchip with comparable (or even better quality) then the zip, otherwise i’ll just hunt down a few zip’s on ebay to keep in storage. 

Stay with the Zip. While the sound quality is comparable (or some say better) in the newer Sport model, you’re likely to be disappointed with other aspects of the player.

EBay isn’t the only place you can find the Zip though; the SanDisk store has both the Zip & the previous Plus model still available.

From the sound quality alone I would choose the Sport, and that’s the one I monstly use these days, despite its mentioned limitations (split database, 2000 + 2000 files limit, EQ with just +/– 5 dB range…). For covering audiophile demands there are actually other solutions around (FiiO X3 II or X5 come to mind), but the Sport combines excellent sound quality for a player of its class with ultimate portabilty, possibly like no other product on the market. Otherwise I support the recommendation to stay with the Zip, though, because it has a very ear-fiendly sonic characteristic (more so than the Clip+ to my ears), add to this the clearly better functionality compared with the Sport.

@tapeworm wrote:
Stay with the Zip. While the sound quality is comparable (or some say better) in the newer Sport model, you’re likely to be disappointed with other aspects of the player.

^ +1.

Still don’t know why SanDisk killed the Fuze.

Best sound quality, screen (video playback), interface (wheel), size. If only the headphone jacks weren’t so weak…

1 Like