SlotRadio.com removal

For some people, having SlotRadio on a Sansa Fuse player would be a wonderful thing… however, for those of use who do not want to pay $40 and are upset at having it thrust upon them as an update and seemingly forever on the menu… how do we remove it!

This is Spam… when it comes as an “update”, then is only an advertisment… that’s just plain rude.

Can anyone help me remove this big red blob… I would be grateful and evermore suspicious of the Sansa Updater.  

Thanks for your help.

Go back to the firmware ending in 26. With that firmware, Slotradio only appears on the menu when a Slotradio card is in the player.

There are other menu item icons that I don’t use, like Photos, Recordings, etc. The SlotRadio icon is simply another option.

Get over it and just scroll past it.

Tapeworm wrote:

There are other menu item icons that I don’t use, like Photos, Recordings, etc. The SlotRadio icon is simply another option.

+1

JK98   Thank you for your response… just got finished looking around in the firmware area and don’t find what is referred to as firmware ending in 26…   I haven’t been able to find the “retroactive” firmware you refer to… nothing ends in 26 that I can see  

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4162/related/1/kw/firmware/r_id/101834

Would you be so kind to help me further by pointing me in the right direction.

I know it would be easy to ignore, but I don’t want to…  For me it’s just an unsolicited advertisement and why would I want it on my menu… and a big red blob to boot.    I just can’t get over it…   

I would be very grateful if you could offer more help as to where I could find the previous firmware to download.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=23276

JK98 - Thanks, I got the file,  v. 02.02.26, unzipped as directed.    I’m a bit unsteady on my feet when the instructions say… drag to root directory.     I dragged it to the Internal Memory, and there it resides as a file… then unplugged and nothing happens, I still have v.02.02.28 and that big ugly red advertisment.  

Shouldn’t the Sansa Updater be involved here?  

Am I not interrpreting “root directory” properly?

USB mode make a difference.   I tried Auto, MTP, MSC?

Am I not holding my mouth right?  

You’ve helped so much already, but this has me stumped.    What am I doing wrong?

Yes, maybe I should ignore it, but I have an 8GB Fuse with an 8GB mini installed… one reason I won’t be buying the SlotRadio card… I have the 8GB mini loaded with audiobook files, which I won’t part with…    Too bad there was no option that would have warned a person this would be attached to any firmware update.   Having this unsolicited ad flash red and bright when I didn’t ask to have it there is just so annoying.   

If this is a common practice of Fuse updates, I guess I’ll have to deal with it again in a few months… better get it right this time.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but if you could help once more…to decipher my error in intrepreting the instructions I would be grateful…again.   LOL

@tapeworm wrote:

I can see why it would be annoying.  Sandisk originally implemented it so that the icon was only shown when a slotradio card was in the device.  They’ve now changed it so it’s there all the time.  While you can easily add photos and recordings for free, the slotradio icon is basically just an advert for something you need to spend a fair amount of money to purchase. In addition, the cards aren’t readily available worldwide, yet shows the ad in all regions. The original implementation was much more user friendly, and to me it seems like the people who do upgrade their sansa firmware religiously will be well aware of the product already. So what was the point?

@arizonatwo wrote:

JK98 - Thanks, I got the file,  v. 02.02.26, unzipped as directed.    I’m a bit unsteady on my feet when the instructions say… drag to root directory.     I dragged it to the Internal Memory, and there it resides as a file… then unplugged and nothing happens, I still have v.02.02.28 and that big ugly red advertisment.  

Shouldn’t the Sansa Updater be involved here?  

Am I not interrpreting “root directory” properly?

USB mode make a difference.   I tried Auto, MTP, MSC?

Am I not holding my mouth right?  

You’ve helped so much already, but this has me stumped.    What am I doing wrong?

Yes, maybe I should ignore it, but I have an 8GB Fuse with an 8GB mini installed… one reason I won’t be buying the SlotRadio card… I have the 8GB mini loaded with audiobook files, which I won’t part with…    Too bad there was no option that would have warned a person this would be attached to any firmware update.   Having this unsolicited ad flash red and bright when I didn’t ask to have it there is just so annoying.   

If this is a common practice of Fuse updates, I guess I’ll have to deal with it again in a few months… better get it right this time.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but if you could help once more…to decipher my error in intrepreting the instructions I would be grateful…again.   LOL

Copy the .bin file you extracted.  Go to the fuze in windows explorer and open the internal memory, then paste.  Then uplug your device and it should show a firmware update message on the fuze’s screen.  Should work fine in MTP or MSC mode.

Does this solution really not work anymore on the .28’s? : It’s as simple as Settings/Radio Options/FM Region:World.

Edit: I haven’t upgraded my Fuze to .28 as it doesn’t appear to fix more than it breaks (in my personal opinion) so I can’t test it myself.

Message Edited by 7o9 on 12-30-2009 09:09 AM

I never updated either.  Clip+ shows it in all regions

Thank You Summerlove  ;- ) and JK98 and everyone else who took the time to answer.   The “drag and drop” feature for this .bin file wasn’t working, but the “copy” feature worked just fine.  

What I equate this advertising invasion to is when a man is paid $ to paste bumper stickers on cars for a Sandwich Shop on the block called SlotRadio Deli.   It’s a perfectly good sandwich shop that everyone eats at.     Nothing at all wrong with the restaurant.

However, a certain amount of car owners won’t mind that bumper sticker, but a certain amount of car owners that will break every finger nail to remove that nasty advertisement.   

I’m counted among the latter… I don’t want my Fuse Player defaced with an ad, even if it is benign…it just doesn’t belong being put there without my permission.

Sansa, please just send an email with this amazing offer next time, and let me decide!    Thanks.

I don’t think I’m alone on this one.

I would agree. I really don’t want the product or the placement on my mp3player. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to remove the stupid thing and that’s irritating. IPOD doesn’t do this does it? Maybe that’s what you get for paying more. Less hassle.

One thing further, clearing your settings doesn’t get rid of slotradio. You needn’t ask.

Yes, J3espada you can remove this slotradio icon from your Fuse …what you do is roll back to the last update.  You apparently did not read all the posts under this thread, so I’m repeating it here for you.   

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=23276

Those that don’t mind… leave it there…it’s harmless

Those that DO mind the big red blob… there are ways to remove it.  

I just hope that future updates have it removed, LOL.             Good Luck

arizonatwo wrote:

Yes, J3espada you can remove this slotradio icon from your Fuse …what you do is roll back to the last update.  You apparently did not read all the posts under this thread, so I’m repeating it here for you.   

Those that don’t mind… leave it there…it’s harmless

Those that DO mind the big red blob… there are ways to remove it.  

I just hope that future updates have it removed , LOL.             Good Luck

Don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-25-2010 10:01 AM

just install the firmware manually again, form this website, and when it turns off, turn it on again. select english and rest of world. slotradio icon doesn;t show up in rest of world

You don’t even have to reinstall the firmware. Just go to Settings>System Settings>Reset Factory Settings. Then you can change the region.

i dont see the big deal about this one. i mean you have voice, fm, videos, and pictures icons in the menu all of which i do not regularly use. i just dont see what all the hatred is over. it is a menu icon for a supported feature of the player. i guess i just have bigger things to get annoyed over.  

Your complaint of the slotRadio icon is not trivial.  It is imposed advertisement.  Some people are more annoyed than others.  You might want to try this:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=39223#M39223

ggin1

Message Edited by ggin1 on 03-02-2010 02:51 AM