Since SanDisk clearly doesn't read these forums...

I’d like to get some peoples opinion on what the current best SSD for gaming is. After my experiences with SanDisk, I’ve began considering going the Intel 520 240GB route.

The only issue here, is that we’re still looking at a Sandforce controller, but it seems Intel does more QA testing on their iteration?

Another nice thing about Intel SSDs, are their awesome toolkit and warrenty, just something to consider in the larger picture.

As for the competitor, Samsung’s newest flagship SSD, the Samsung 840 Pro (256GB). From the benches I’ve seen, this SSD is looking to be a real winner for price and performance, outperforming many other SSDs in nearly every bench thrown at it.

One alarming thing here, is that in one of the benches, a reviewer had a drive failure. Not the best of signs for a new drive, but not past the realm of standard failure rates.

Another question I have is, when might we see Intel’s next consumer-grade SSD, and will it abandon the Sandforce controller? I hope they’d go their own route personally, and if so, I’d definitly go with them if they were to take that avenue.

Does anyone have any input in this matter? Just thought I’d start some friendly discussion here while we wait for SanDisk’s new firmware, maybe we’ll see it before Christmas if we’re good boys and girls!

Sorry to see that you are into this kind of issue. But i would strongly suggest that since this needs assistance, you can probably create a support ticket. In that way, you issue will be official.

@mithcd wrote:
Sorry to see that you are into this kind of issue. But i would strongly suggest that since this needs assistance, you can probably create a support ticket. In that way, you issue will be official.

It’s blatantly obvious you did not read the original post. In the future, may I suggest that you do so and only respond if you have anything helpful to say.

Samsung 830 if you want to play safe. Known to be reliable.

840 is great, but reliability is unknown, even if it is Samsung.

Creating a support ticket is not an option in this case. I tried to create an official ticket about the TRIM issue so that I could be informed when it is fixed. But after a couple of exchanges with SanDisk support, all I got was a terse “aware of the issue”, no ticket.