SF2281 TRIM support firmware by Sandisk that actually works? When?

Yes, this is getting old and ridiculous now. I’m usually patient and will give a manufacture the benefit of the doubt, but if other manufactures have made the new firmware available, then you just wonder what is going on with SanDisk.

OTOH, they are shooting themselves in the foot by not expediting the release of this firmware, since anyone that is aware of it will quite likely not purchase one of these SSDs. I won’t until something happens with the firmware. The prices of these SSDs are very low right now, likely in part due to this issue. But I’ll spend more for a SSD that I know will function as it should.

I also want LSI/SandForce to know how much of a blunder they’ve made with the 5.0 firmware. Just when their reputation was improving with some people, this occurs. One step forward, and two back. I’d really love to know the behind the scenes story about this.

I was under the impression that TweakTown was testing 5.0.3, at least they were as of the August 24th article.

"A very small issue was found in 5.0.3, but 5.0.4 will fix the issue and we have confirmation that 5.0.4 will be ready for your flashing pleasure in less than a month. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4895/sandisk_extreme_240gb_fixed_trim_solid_state_drive_review/index1.html#uZkjWcdKO3A1fiFg.99

I don’t know what those issues were, and I find the silence on it annoying too, but I’d rather them take their time and do it right.  They do only have a few days left on that “less than a month” claim.

I believe the issue was that TRIM was taking too long. Supposely to pass WHQL it has to finish in under 70ns.

5.0.4 has been available long enough for Validation.

Sandisk is a Company that just does not value Customers and has no problem

stringing them out. When Sales slow down as educated Buyers find that this is a defective Drive without the Firmware update,

Sandisk may get off heir hands and release the Firmware. Meanwhile Sandisk only demonstrates  disdain for Customers who

have purchased this Product.

Shame on you Sandisk!!!

As usual, the only way to get a big corporation to deal with a problem such as this is to give them lots of negative publicity about it.  i plan to add the Tweaktown article and this forum to my message siggy on boards I frequent and give Sandisk some much needed incentive to fix this.

I have to say that although I love my 240gb Extreme, it will be the last sandisk product I’ll ever purchase for myself or my company.  Sandisk has been completely silent while others have released timely updates to correct this issue.  Shame on you sandisk…

Original Tweaktown article stated Sandisk should release v.5.0.4 TRIM-optimised Extreme SSD firmware update within a month. By my reckoning that month is up. Any sign? Anyone with further info? A company announcement perhaps?

Mushkin just released their 504 firmware.

OCZ may have one up tomorrow or soon after.

Hopefully SanDisk will be next or at least soon.

I had a very vivid dream last night.  I dreamt that I logged into the Sandisk website and the new firmware was out!  Imagine my disappointment this morning when I logged in (as I do daily) only to see the dreaded words Download SSD Toolkit (version 1.0.0.1) (19MB) still being there…

Wake up Sandisk! 

Literally a day late, dollar short for SanDisk.

My Samsung 830 arrives tomorrow, have my return label for the SanDisk all ready to go.

Why buy the Samsung 830 SSd now when the 840 will arrive shortly?

See thessdreview for a Samsung 840 review.

Good post, thank you for this. I needed a good laugh.

Very funny, I needed a good laugh. :manhappy:

Exactly the same reason I’m moving on also.  I refuse to wait any longer.  Samsung 830 is here now and working.

My return period for the SanDisk ends sometime next week.

Id rather have a Samsung 830 now and get full $$$ back for the SanDisk than wait for a Samsung 840 and *hope* I can sell the SanDisk. 

With all the grumblings about no TRIM fix in the near future, who knows if anyone would actually want to buy a used SanDisk.

I wanted a 120-something GB SSD for OS and primary apps so the 830 will do for now.  When I can find a deal on a bigger SSD Ill pick it up as “storage”.  For HUGE storage I have a 3TB external.

"Why buy the Samsung 830 SSd now when the 840 will arrive shortly?

See thessdreview for a Samsung 840 review."

I would be pretty impressed if people could tell the difference in actual use. 

The Samsung 840 Pro has a 5 year warranty.

Performance with incompressible and compressible data being is almost exactly the same with new Corsair Neutron SSDs.

Waiting to see what an SSD with an Indilinx Barefoot 3 controller and 3rd generation Sanforce controller can do before I buy my next SSD.

A 5 year warranty should be the norm not the exception.

SanDisk needs to express more faith in their product with a 5 year warranty on the Extreme.

@smoghog wrote:

The Samsung 840 Pro has a 5 year warranty.

A 5 year warranty should be the norm not the exception.

SanDisk needs to express more faith in their product with a 5 year warranty on the Extreme.

It all depends on the price and value. The samsung 840 pro ISN’T going to be cheap, so you will be paying a premium for your 5 year warranty.

At one time, the sandisk extreme was king for value for money, which is why I, and many other people, bought these drives.  Right now, it is nothing special price wise, so I wouldn’t buy one.

Another days passes with Sandisk’s head in the sand. They do not even have enough Courtesy to have a Moderator reply to this Thread.

This has to be the the worst case of a Manufacturer thumbing their nose @ Customers I have ever encountered.

Every other Manufacturer using the Sandforce 2281 has either released Firmware or are keeping Customers informed

of where they are in the process.

I will never buy a Sandisk Product again and I will be sure to pass this experience along on a number of Forums where I participate.

This is a totally shameless Company and I have definitely learned a lesson that the Customer comes last when you buy one of their Products. These Drives will be  obsolete by the time they (if they ever) release new Firmware!!!

Latest possible Sandisk Extreme SSD fiirmware scenario. Tight-lipped Sandisk management are to wait until v.5.0.5 LSI-SF generic firmware release before embarking on further in-house validation. November? December? New Year 2013?

IMHO the worst SSD QC and support has come from OCZ. I’ll NEVER consider purchasing OCZ drives (mission critical). Also I’ve had a DOA G-Skill Sandforce-controllered SSD, that went straight back. Plus a Kingston V100+ SSD, all Toshiba inside (toggle NAND and controller with highly-efficient in-built garbage collection), that is still going strong today. Meanwhile Plextor, Samsung, OWC and Intel seem to offer SSD products that remain reliable and fast, with reasonable support. At least that’s what they tell us…

To put this all in context I have three Sandisk Extreme SSDs. None have died. They need new firmware. There’s a (prolonged) delay for updated firmware compared to other companies’ products. Sandisk is remaining silent. This is felt by many end-users here as unacceptable. Unless corporate policy changes Sandisk is likely to lose future SSD customers. What for? What is the point?