Sansa Fuze+ touchpad... Why ?

Hello,

My sansa fuze is dead… and i c’ant buy another one.

The new fuze come with absolutely awfull touchpad, so the whole world is complaining about it (regular users are gone).

You really kill this fantastic product.

Why ?

I have no real problems with the new format. I’ve used Sansa since the E200 days,

It’s not like over the last couple of years this type of complaint has been heard time and time again

About time it came to an end. Ya Think?

Hello Garovick, this is your first post here… you are welcome.

Maybe you should have the same problem as Sandisk…

I  have no real problems with the new format. I’ve used Sansa since the E200 days  We have one

It’s not like over the last couple of years this type of complaint has been heard time and time again not heard not considered

The main concept is broken… for the first time !

ALL previous Sansa players comes with real keys… for real world users !

Sorry for my english…

Hello,

Let’go to buy a FiiO X3… Not for HIFI, Just to have NORMAL keys.

Thanks

JM

The touchpad in and of itself isn’t so bad… the real killer is the firmware. Between not-so-great gesture recognition, a good handful of crashes (at least in my experience), general laggyness. My Sansa m230 doesn’t have any of these problems. Rockbox on the Fuze+ still has some issues, but at least there’s one person (literally) who’s working to fix these issues, which is more than can be said of Sandisk.

@halonachos117 wrote:

The touchpad in and of itself isn’t so bad…

Not bad no, absolutely horrible !

ANYHINGBUTIPOD REVIEW :

 The actual navigation using the touch panel is frankly absolutely horrible. It reminds me a bit of trying to use swiping gestures on a resistive touch screen, and compared to the excellent (and fast) scroll wheel on the original Fuze, Sandisk has taken the Fuze+ at least 10 years backwards in time when it comes to user friendly controls. Sometimes the panel doesn’t react, something you hit the wrong button, and sometimes the reaction from the player is so slow that it seems like it didn’t notice the touch input - See more at: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/sandisk-sansa-fuze-review-2/#sthash.6WHdvi6w.dpuf

ANYHINGBUTIPOD COMMENTS :

 Honest review, and totally on point. I’d have bought a fuze+ myself if it didn’t have that crap touchpad. It was a horror on the Samsung Q2, it’s no better on the fuze+, it’s a “fail”! - See more at: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/sandisk-sansa-fuze-review-2/#sthash.6WHdvi6w.dpuf

AMAZON :

 Épouvantable touchpad

L’usage de l’interface tactile de ce produit est épouvantable. De vrais boutons auraient rendus ce produit excellent mais ce n’est pas le cas.

OUR MOST IMMPORTANT TEST SITE : LES NUMERIQUES

 Ergonomie : le choix discutable du sensitif

Navigation sensitive pas toujours pratique

ABOUT MP3

http://mp3.about.com/od/reviews/fr/Sansa-Fuze-Plus-Review.htm

  • Touch-sensitive pad can be fiddly to use at first
  • Unit slow to boot up

TRUSTED REVIEWS

Capacitive controls being all the rage currently we can see why Sandisk
made this decision, but we’re convinced it was the wrong one.

You need some traslations ?

You live in a cavern ?

ENGADGET

Capacitive controls being all the rage currently we can see why Sandisk
made this decision, but we’re convinced it was the wrong one.

HEADFI

Clip Zip and Clip+ are good, skip Fuze+. Terrible controls. 

Silverprout, I think you missed my point entirely. I agree, navigation is a PITA with this device, but that’s not because to the touchpad. The Firmware that Sandisk wrote for this device is what really makes it so hard to use. I can absolutely gurantee that the delayed (if not lack of) reaction is, in fact, a software issue , not a hardware one.

If you want proof, try installing Rockbox on your Fuze+, if you (still) have one. You’ll find that it’s   much easier to use, as getting from the top of a menu to the botton takes only a matter of seconds, without the device taking so long to realize that you have let go of the button. Also, Rockbox tends to boot reasonably fast (probably about 2-4 seconds), probably due the the fact that the device doesn’t go through so much uneccesary DB (re)loading. In fact, Rockbox doesn’t even use a DB, let alone waste time your refreshing it, unless  YOU tell it to do so.

I have been using Rockbox for the past month or two and while there are some aspects that are better, the touchpad is still an issue.  I have had Rockbox overshwoot or go the wrong way while trying to navigate the menus.  I use my Fuze+ in my car to play through my car stereo and the touchpad is just not good for this use.  I hwope that Sandisk will come out with a new gen. Fuze and either use first gen. type controls (or Clip controls) or go with a full touchscreen.  My Fuze died last year so I got the + to replace it, when my son’s Fuze died recently I had him “downgrade” to a ClipZip because he would be a lot less frustrated with the normal controls than he would be with the touchpad of the Fuze+.  At the very least, I would like to see Sandisk upgrade the Clip with more internal memory.  If they came out with a 16GB Clip, I’d get one to replace my Fuze+ the day it came out. 

I have seen advice on another forum that says it is OK to get a Fuze+ and then Rockbox it right away and you get a good MP3 player.  I say avoid the Fuze+ entirely.  Rockbox cannot make it anywhere near as good as a first gen. Fuze, it is a band aid to make the best of a bad situation, nothing more.

(Note:  The forum would not let me post unless I separated the “H” from the “O”, so the misspellings of “overshwoot” and “hwope” were intentional to be allowed to post, I guess there was an issue with people calling other people oh’s?)

rockbox just got a new sensitivity setting that improve the touchpad behaviour

Hello to all

Yes, Rockbox improve a lot…

But paul Probus is so true… “My Fuze died last year so I got the + to replace it, when my son’s Fuze died recently I had him “downgrade” to a ClipZip because he would be a lot less frustrated with the normal controls than he would be with the touchpad of the Fuze+.” 

Same issue for me… :mansad:

Meta,

That may help with the overshooting problems that I sometimes have with it.  Hopefully, I can find a good median point where the sensitivity is still higher than Sansa’s Firmware and yet not quite as high as RB’s default.

@silverprout wrote:

Hello to all

Yes, Rockbox improve a lot…

 

But paul Probus is so true… “My Fuze died last year so I got the + to replace it, when my son’s Fuze died recently I had him “downgrade” to a ClipZip because he would be a lot less frustrated with the normal controls than he would be with the touchpad of the Fuze+.” 

 

Same issue for me… :mansad:

My son really likes the ClipZip.  It is smaller than the Fuze, which makes it easier for him to pocket and it has more internal memory than his Fuze (8GB CZ vs. 4GB Fuze).  If they would come out with a ClipZip+ with 16GB or more of internal memory, I think I would upgrade to it and leave my Fuze+ behind.

@paul_probus wrote:


My son really likes the ClipZip.  It is smaller than the Fuze, which makes it easier for him to pocket and it has more internal memory than his Fuze (8GB CZ vs. 4GB Fuze).  If they would come out with a ClipZip+ with 16GB or more of internal memory, I think I would upgrade to it and leave my Fuze+ behind.

The microsd cards are so cheap now, wouldn’t it make more sense to just buy a bigger capacity card and a Zip , rather than to deal with a player you don’t like?

I already have a 32 GB Micro SD in my 16 GB Fuze+.  I thought that was the limit for both the Fuze+ and Clip Zip?

@paul_probus wrote:

I already have a 32 GB Micro SD in my 16 GB Fuze+.  I thought that was the limit for both the Fuze+ and Clip Zip?

If you are running Rockbox, then you can use a 64GB card, provided you format the card to FAT32 first. 

@marvin_martian wrote:


@paul_probus wrote:

I already have a 32 GB Micro SD in my 16 GB Fuze+.  I thought that was the limit for both the Fuze+ and Clip Zip?


If you are running Rockbox, then you can use a 64GB card, provided you format the card to FAT32 first. 

That will also work with the OF; Rockbox not needed.

Granted, depending on the bit-rate and subsequent size of the files you may encounter the OF database limit, but if you are say, using FLAC files as some do, I doubt you’re going to run into that limitation.

@tapeworm wrote:


@marvin_martian wrote:


@paul_probus wrote:

I already have a 32 GB Micro SD in my 16 GB Fuze+.  I thought that was the limit for both the Fuze+ and Clip Zip?


If you are running Rockbox, then you can use a 64GB card, provided you format the card to FAT32 first. 


 

That will also work with the OF; Rockbox not needed.

 

Granted, depending on the bit-rate and subsequent size of the files you may encounter the OF database limit, but if you are say, using FLAC files as some do, I doubt you’re going to run into that limitation.

Fair point.:wink:  I personally don’t use FLAC on mine, but there are people who do.