Mine is doing this EXACT same problem. I am beyond livid as I have spent like 6plus hrs this week trying to fix it. It’s bad enough the Rhapsody software is complete junk, Glad I know I am not the only one having this issue.
I tried the wall plug and got it to go back to the device software, but when I hooked it up to the computer and started Rhapsody sure enough, it was one big cluster of a mess. I formated the device on the device itself as well as in the software and the stupid playlist kept showing up after formatting, so then i deauthorized the computer, the device, deleted Rhapsody off my computer, reinstalled it, reauthorized, and so and on for hours, Then I find this post.
I do belive my issue is Solution 2 on the page the poster above, only problem is when I click the link for “Format using Windows Disc Manager” it takes me HERE http://kb.sandisk.com/app/error/error_id/1
Not much help.
Sorry if I have a bad attitude but im beyond angry as I have wasted so many hours trying to fix this.