Sansa Fuze and VBR mp3

Hi everyone,

A large part of my mp3 collection has been encoded in VBR and I recently had to move my collection from my faithful archos (whose screen died) to my wife’s ipod. Unfortunately the bloody thing does not seem to be able to read those properly and my vbr files get truncated before the end of the songs. It is extremely frustrating and I am ready to toss the Apple crap by the window and get a Fuze. Before I do that, I would like to know if the Fuze is better at handling VBRs or if I will have the same problem (which never ever happened on my archos).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Seb 

@sebperth wrote:

… my wife’s ipod. Unfortunately the bloody thing does not seem to be able to read those properly and my vbr files get truncated before the end of the songs. 

To be fair, I’ve never heard of Ipod having a problem with VBR.  Sounds like maybe the files are gettng truncated in the transfer (check the file size on ipod compared to your PC), or maybe the playing time tag is wrong (as used in gapless playback to make the player skip unused data at the end of the file.)

That said, plenty of people here play VBR files on their sansa’s all the time.

I have all kinds of VBR on my Fuze, and Clips…works great!

No problems here, either, with VBR.  I use Exact Audio Copy and LAME to rip to 192kbps VBR, and never had a problem with them playing on my Fuze.  Could it be your ripper?
Message Edited by HulkSmashNow on 05-25-2009 03:21 PM

For iPod users, sometimes they want to backup the music, video or pictures on iPod to computer and to another iPod. This makes iPod users headache for iTunes doesn’t providing this feature at all. Tipard Studio releases a program that can backup their files on iPod to PC or transfer files to another iPod. Using (http://tipard.com/ipod-transfer-pro.html) Tipard iPod Transfer Pro you would never worry about losing problem of the files. This iPod Transfer Pro help you copy songs and video from iPod to PC without losing anything. Tipard iPod Transfer pro supports all the versions of iPod devices. So you can easily transfer music and video from iPod, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod shuffle, iPod Touch, iPhone to PC. You could easily share your iPod music with your friends.

http://www.tipard.com/guide/follow/ipod-transfer-pro.jpg

Key Features:

﹡Backup files from iPod to computer
﹡Import files from computer to iPod
﹡Transfer files from iPod to iPod/iPhone

@sebperth wrote:

Before I do that, I would like to know if the Fuze is better at handling VBRs or if I will have the same problem (which never ever happened on my archos).

I’ve got >2000 MP3 VBR tracks on my Fuze, and they work fine.

You may run up against problems with the ID3 tag info, depending on what version of tags are in your existing library. Sansa players have historically been a bit fussy - ID3v2.3 with ISO8859-1 characters seem to work best, although the lastest firmware also supports v2.4 tags now.

You can use applications like Mp3Tag to change the version of the tags in your entire library in one hit, so it’s not a major issue - just something to be aware of when moving your existing library to a Fuze.