Sansa Clip Firmware Update

Hi everybody, I’m new here.

Sorry if this sounds silly, but where can I find the latest firmware update for my 2gb sansa clip? Thanks in advance.

@ionutd wrote:

Hi everybody, I’m new here.

Sorry if this sounds silly, but where can I find the latest firmware update for my 2gb sansa clip? Thanks in advance.

You could look in the first post of this topic for starters.

@donp wrote:

I can say that all DAP’s I’ve ever bought (5 different brands)  had updateable firmware, and all had at least one update issued after purchase.

Most/all cell phones have updateable firmware.  At least with Verizon the standard procedure is they load it to your phone over the air with no special notice to the user.

PMP’s? that whole category is new enough that they pretty much HAVE to have  updates.

I know I’ve done firmware updates to my router to keep it compatible with some change the cable company made.

Then subtract 1 from the number of firmware updates for the clip thus far, and you’ll understand the disparity in same model revisions I’m talking about. Or do you portend that most other companies provide this same level of continued support for one product?

O.k., I thought what I said was obvious enough but I guess not since you persist so…

Over the air updates on cell phoes do not fix software bugs and/or bring new features to a phones UI/Rom in any palpable way; this is usually back end lower level code in how a handset communicates with towers or becomes ‘aware’ of new towers locations and so forth…  clip fw updates are actually adding new features, enhancements, and improving on usability.

I think you have a fundamental misconception of what I’ve been driving at. I never said commercial hw products are *never* updated. I said they aren’t updated enough and/or completely bug free before moving on to the next product cycle.  You would like to get into the nitty gritty examples? O.k…case in point, my Zyxel X-550 MiMo Router (and numerous d-link/linksys routers/adapters/bridges/print servers before it, and after it) despite the fact I interfaced directly with a dev doing firmware updates doing beta testing and overall it’s a good product, but some bugs were left hanging;  my Aquos (and pretty much any other TV I’ve had or bore witness to its share of discrepancies and firmware bugs which Sharp, although releasing a couple fiw updates, neglected to fix. Same w/ Hitachi, Sceptre, Sony, and Olevia to name but a few;  my rebranded T-Mo SDA Music/HTC phone (w/ iMate SP5 WinMo5 custom rom to remedy various T-Mo ROM shortcomings and/or bugs fixes), other providers are no exception (in various instances); the WD TV HD, heck for this one people have compiled entire custom roms to compensate for it’s various problems/ommissions and even still many bugs still linger… Some Netgear media extenders I’ve seen at BB in the past have numerous different problems… I find this particularly so with media extenders as their is so much room for error in in supporting so many different codecs/standards/profiles, etc… this is probably why my favorite extender software has been a work in progress for over 6 years with a dedicate team that constant fixes problems, no matter how subtle, and enhances the product, for free. This is just what comes immediately to mind; I’m quite sure there are tons more.

It has to do with cost/benefit; like I said, it’s well know the industry standard has been to release products w/ what is *percieved* as an acceptable level of bugs (or not so acceptable as it were) from a business standpoint; see how much ■■■■ can go under the radar of the mainstream consumers; and let the rest ride if it’s not cost effective to fix 'em.Anyone that doesn’t see a difference between companies like Sandisk and what they’re doing with the Clip vs. the aforementioned and much more with is being disengenious.That isn’t to say everyone else is a bad company, they’re not. I’m just illustrating a difference in what’s being dowe with the clip…

Message Edited by hakujin on 04-24-2009 02:22 PM

@hakujin wrote:

@donp wrote:

I can say that all DAP’s I’ve ever bought (5 different brands)  had updateable firmware, and all had at least one update issued after purchase.

Most/all cell phones have updateable firmware.  At least with Verizon the standard procedure is they load it to your phone over the air with no special notice to the user.

PMP’s? that whole category is new enough that they pretty much HAVE to have  updates.

I know I’ve done firmware updates to my router to keep it compatible with some change the cable company made.

Subtract 1 from the number of firmward updates for the clip thus far and you’ll understand the disparity I’m talking about. Or do you portend that most other companies provide this same level of continued support for one product.

I know of 2 updates… ok subtract 1 gives 1. WHat is that supposed to clarify?
Most companies? How do I know? I can only say for the companies I’ve dealt with.  As I’ve said, with DAP’s 5 for 5 brands have issued updates.

Over the air updates on cell phoes do not fix software bugs and/or bring new features to a phones UI/Rom in any phone I’ve ever had… and most certainly not on smartphones for which I’ve put custom roms/antenna updates, on more than once.

If you’ve put in a custom rom, you expect updates to it from the company?

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what I’m trying to say. I never said appliances are *products* updated. I said they aren’t updated enough and/or completely bug free before moving on to the next product line Case in point, my Zyxel router (and numerous d-link/linksys routers before it) even though I interfaced directly with a dev doing firmware updates doing beta testing;

You’re right… your point is, if anything, becoming less clear with each post.  

You started off that Clip was unusual in issuing firmware updates at all.  Now it’s starting to sound like you’re drawing the line where the company issues updates on discontinued models. The most recent discontinued Sansa I know of is the e200 series, and they are clear there won’t be any more updates for that. 

My linksys router was updated for a problem that only surfaced after it was discontinued. My riovolt had 1 or 2 feature updates after it was discontinued, and my Neuros as well. Then they threw the firmware to open source. Both of those got gapless vorbis due to customer requests…( clip is halfway there!)

I have only caught my cell updating once. They don’t publicize updates, so no change list is issued.

You’ve totally missed the point… you said at least 1 firmware update on a few DAPs you’ve own. I contrasted that with the plethora of updates that have come forth for the Clip. My overall point was and still is, if SanDisk never came out with another fw update for the clip, I would still be extremely satisfied, notwithstanding, I look forward to the next fw.

“If you’ve put in a custom rom, you expect updates to it from the company?”

No, the point is I don’t expect updates to usability/features PERIOD because that’s not what happens, which is why I DO run custom ROMs, lol.  Those mobile ‘auto’ updates you describe are an apples to oranges comparison…  they are just for low level stuff, like tower/handset optimizations. Do you honestly think a mobile company would chance bricking a handset for an auto feature/usability upgrade? No… *sometimes* they provide rom updates but it’s entirely a manual process on the part of the end-user/customer and mostly, their offerings are pretty lackluster which in the case of Smartphones/PPCs becomes more pathetic when you consider the mobile provider is simply copying Windows Mobile OS updates from Microsoft and then simply adding all their branding crapware. There’s usually so much more detail and effort on the part of the profit-less ‘community’ (xda forums, as one example) then the company that could actually gain a few more customers with solid hw support. Again, not the case with the Clip. Support here, and updates is phenomonal. Perhaps this is one of the niche markets where this level of support is more common. Admittedly, I haven’t owned too many DAPs (not inc. phones), just two clips, a shuffle, and an iRiver. 

"You’re right… your point is, if anything, becoming less clear with each post. "

To you, for sure. Dunno how I could be any clearer. Why are you so flustered/agitated? I posted a compliment to SanDisk on a SanDisk board.

“You started off that Clip was unusual in issuing firmware updates at all.”

Wrong, my point was that SanDisk was exceptional in issuing update upon update for a product that has been out now for considerable time. I don’t see that across the industry. It is obvious you disagree, and think this sort of attention to a single product is the standard, not the exception. Mmm-kay…

Stick a fork in me… I’m done talking to you.:dizzy_face:

Message Edited by hakujin on 04-24-2009 05:19 PM

@hakujin wrote:

You’ve totally missed the point… you said at least 1 firmware update on a few DAPs you’ve own. I contrasted that with the multitude of updates that have come forth for the Clip.

The one for which I got only one update was a Sansa player (you were saying?)  It was the only one whose firmware support was cut off before the model was discontinued. (for full disclosure, I bought the Iriver as a gift, and did not follow that model through end-of-life)

I’m not complaining about the updates on the clip (still waiting on the bugs I care about… hopefully next time), just they are so far on a par with the other players I’ve owned.  Still too early to say whether they will, in your terms, just move on with unresolved bugs once the model is discontinued.  

I really couldn’t say how many there have been for Clip.  THere was one available when I bought it and one since, so I know about 2.

“I really couldn’t say how many there have been for Clip”

At least 6 that I know of, probably many more. I searched subjects with only “sansa clip firmware update” without “re”… must get deleted when new firmwares come out.

Found this:

Somebody mentioned 1.01.11a, and they all appear to be in sequence so I’m going to say at least…  12 fw updates in total, but that’s skipping x.21-x.29

Anybody know? 

Bottom line is you find the support much better than Ipod or PocketPC devices.  I find it on a par (so far) with the range of DAP’s I’ve owned.  I’m willing to just accept that.

My bottom line is I find the level of support and updates here better than *most* ‘commercial products’. The best product support I’ve ever experienced is xbmc, literally hundreds of updates spanning 6 years.

“I’m willing to just accept that.”

I guess you can’t please everyone. :neutral_face:

Message Edited by hakujin on 04-25-2009 07:48 AM

My 4 gig clip wont let me drag anything to the root directory. it will only let me put something in the folders three levels down.

@ngs2 wrote:

My 4 gig clip wont let me drag anything to the root directory. it will only let me put something in the folders three levels down.

This really does not seem to have anything to do with the thread topic.  Best to start your own thread, so that people see it?

@miikerman wrote:

@ngs2 wrote:

This really does not seem to have anything to do with the thread topic.  Best to start your own thread, so that people see it?

Unless they are trying to do a manual firmware update. But regardless more information is needed

@donp wrote:

Bottom line is you find the support much better than Ipod or PocketPC devices.  I find it on a par (so far) with the range of DAP’s I’ve owned.  I’m willing to just accept that.

That’s exactly the kind of thing that hinders progress. While it’s true that these devices have really come a long way, it’s entirely possible they haven’t come as far as they could have for the simple fact that too many customers aren’t demanding enough. It’s just dumb luck if any company goes above and beyond what their customers demand. It’s common sense. You will probably always get exactly what they believe you (or the majority of their customers) will accept and not that much more. 

Some of us are the kind of customers who are always looking for that one product that goes beyond what everybody else is offering. Sandisk made a player that is in direct competition with the Shuffle and they did what Apple should have done long ago. They put a screen on it. Why didn’t you buy a Shuffle? Probably for the same reason I didn’t. No screen. I thought it was outrageous to expect people to deal with a DAP with no screen. But Apple’s customers settled for it for years so they got away with it.

First off, THANKS! for the great improvement to the audiobook bookmark feature, it is great!

Now, for the record this problem still seems to be present in the latest firmware, I’ll copy the details from the previous firmware thread:

I have noticed a bug with the FF/RW feature on audiobooks with chapter mode OFF.  When the non-audible book (WMA) is paused a single press of FF or RW does not move between chapters as expected, but if you hold down FF or RW then the Clip starts to cycle through the chapters (files). So if you paused a book, remembered you didn’t hear the last bit and forget to start it playing before holding down the RW then you are going to end up playing some virtually random part of the book.

There have also been other cases where it seems to skip chapters when just doing a regular RW while playing but it is very infrequent and I haven’t been able to determine how to reproduce the behaviour.

n00b here. I’ve had a clip for a while that’s v.2, and I just got a new one but it’s version 1. What are the differences between the two firmwares? Are there hardware differences, too? I’m just not sure if should keep the v.1 or return it and look for a v.2.

They will both perform just fine.  SImply install the correct version for each revision.  The firmware difference is specific to each revision, with slightly different hardware.

If upgrading the device, the firmware can be installed using the Sansa Updater, or if installing manually, connect in MTP mode, right-click on the Sansa in Windows Explorer, and select Properties.  The firmware version will display.

On the device, go to Settings > Info, and the top line is the installed firmware version.

µsansa

Thanks. I already had the latest firmware for my v2, but I just wondered if there were any important differences I should know about between v1 and v2 players. They seem to have the same SQ and features, so I guess it’s just minor changes here and there (label markings are “upside down” relative to the other version’s player, v1 has “sansa” on back, v2 has the little flower logo, etc.)

Yep, no functional differences from the user perspective.

As a general matter, you get the version out at the time; it’s not really a choice thing.  As time goes on, that means version 2. 

Plese sansa on the next firmwareupgrade please add a clock and date feature with that the clip will be awsome!!

Why could you possibly need a clock on an audio player? :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I’d find checking the date/time with the clip rather uncomfortable compared to devices like a wrist watch, computer, PDA, cellphone… If the player is not on, it will take too long for it to start compared to other devices I’ve mentioned. Not to mention that adding this would take more space on the device itself, so more bloatware and less storage space for music… It would also eat some more power to keep the clock running rather than simply listening for a POWER ON event on the power switch. IMO, we can do just fine without a clock on a clip.