Sansa Clip Firmware Update

@icedragon wrote:
Why could you possibly need a clock on an audio player? :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I’d find checking the date/time with the clip rather uncomfortable compared to devices like a wrist watch, computer, PDA, cellphone… If the player is not on, it will take too long for it to start compared to other devices I’ve mentioned. Not to mention that adding this would take more space on the device itself, so more bloatware and less storage space for music… It would also eat some more power to keep the clock running rather than simply listening for a POWER ON event on the power switch. IMO, we can do just fine without a clock on a clip.

I thought I read somewhere that the Clip already has an internal clock so that it can expire subscription music (like Rhapsody) when it’s supposed to. So the only thing we need enabled is the abilty to view the clock.   

I don’t want to carry a lot of other gadgets, and hate wearing a watch, so I’d really like to have the time displayed on the Clip.  It would be great if the center button activated a time display instead of the useless visualization.

Message Edited by Alohamora on 05-16-2009 11:43 AM

The Clip has a realtime clock, but implementing it into the interface involves cluttering up the screen with one more bit of information.  Where to display it?  When should it display, then?

My personal vote, agreed with my youngest daughter, is to have the clock display in the upper left, in the yellow zone, when the song is playing.  The region is currently used for the track number nn/nnn, the account status dot, then the battery indicator.

At the bottom of the display, I prefer the current configuration, with elapsed time, and the play / pause status to the left of the track progress bar.  Adding another nn:nn at the lower left would really be confusing.

Okay, it’s all decided then.  Next order of business?

See, how easy it would be if Gurus ran the world?  I should call Nextel for their new commercial idea.  Actually, I’ll be patient, just like all of my friends here.  The Central Valley just hit 102*F, not bad for mid-May, eh?  I’m chillin’ indoors with plenty of Sansas.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Since we are in the mood of feature requests, I have one and it occured to me yesterday while on the treadmill. To those of us that always shuffle and use the clip for runs, how coold would it be to get to a certain song in the play all mode, and have the shuffle play only that artist’s songs via a double center click or something? Or maybe there is something like that? As it stands, I have to navigate back out to the main menu and find the artist… it requires a lot of clicking and is tedious while running.

I doubt the clip has a real time clock since there’s no way listed in the manual to set it.

DRM schemes may be happy just knowing the elapsed time since the license was checked.

The Clip has a Ultra Low Power oscillator circuit for the real-time clock, identical to the Fuze and e200v2, plus the identical processor.  The name of the game for the Clip is simplicity, so no clock function.  For my e280v2, I used a Sansa Clip for the components needed to repair a dead ULP oscillator.

So, literally, I removed the clock components by their toenails.  It’s simply not implemented for the Clip.

Practically any electronic devices has a quartz oscillator, very similar to the one in a wristwatch, which sends out an electric pulse which goes to the clock chip which in turns fires a pulse on the clock wire. This is fundamental to all computer systems and ostensibly not too much different from a SOC, as neutron_bob has explained.

Message Edited by hakujin on 05-18-2009 07:53 PM

Hi Guys.

Any chance you can add a Balance (Left/Right fader) capability to the Clip in a future firmware upgrade please?

I am slightly hard-of-hearing in my left ear and would like to be able to adjust the left/right balance on my Clip to compensate.

Many thanks

Davva 

The only thing I REALLY want for my Clip is real alphabetical ordering. I don’t know which logic is used to determine the order of the songs listed, but they are constantly all over the place. I’ve tried to retag a bunch of tracks to one type of tagging version, but that didn’t help. I know it has been said before in this (or another) thread, but all the solutions offered do not help in my case.

I listen to audio messages (speeches, sermons) a lot, en they often are more than one part. I group them by speaker, often resulting in folders of 50+ files. At present I have to hunt for the next part of the messages in such a huge list of files constantly.

Anyone know if this problem has been tagged for fixing, or if Sansa if even aware of it. I’ve tried to find a place to file a request or bugreport, but I couldn’t find it. Where can I see what Sansa is working on?

@dfreeze wrote:

The only thing I REALLY want for my Clip is real alphabetical ordering. I don’t know which logic is used to determine the order of the songs listed, but they are constantly all over the place. I’ve tried to retag a bunch of tracks to one type of tagging version, but that didn’t help. I know it has been said before in this (or another) thread, but all the solutions offered do not help in my case.

I listen to audio messages (speeches, sermons) a lot, en they often are more than one part. I group them by speaker, often resulting in folders of 50+ files. At present I have to hunt for the next part of the messages in such a huge list of files constantly.

You don’t say how you are tagging.  Until/unless the clip gets file browsing, it doesn’t matter a bit how many files are in a folder, or which folder they are in, because the tracks you see on the player are organized by their tags. 

It looks like a good way to organize your messages would be setting “Artist” to the speaker’s name, “Album” to the date plus subject of the sermon, and the parts of each speech would have ascending track numbers.  Track title could be “Part 01” etc as well. 

What order does it place your files in and how are they enumerated? I know a common problem with the alphabetical sorting programs use is that the enumeration of files goes like “1, 2, 3, …, 10, 11, 12…” thus making it show as “1, 10, 11, 12, …, 2, 20, 21, 22…” which is correct alphabetically (A, Aa, Ab, Ac, …, B, Ba, Bb, …). A way around it would be to prefix the number with zero(es) (01, 02, 03, …, 10, 11, 12…) just like donp suggested.

Me - I recall making playlist files in Winamp where I made sure the order is correct and had Winamp’s playlist keep that same order on the Clip.

@davva wrote:

Hi Guys.

Any chance you can add a Balance (Left/Right fader) capability to the Clip in a future firmware upgrade please?

I am slightly hard-of-hearing in my left ear and would like to be able to adjust the left/right balance on my Clip to compensate.

Many thanks

Davva 

Unlikely that SanDisk will add such a feature to the Clip, but, then, who knows?  Rockbox, alternative firmware being developed for the Clip (and other players), might have it; I don’t recall.  You can check at Rockbox,org.

@miikerman wrote:

@davva wrote:

Hi Guys.

Many thanks

Davva 

Unlikely that SanDisk will add such a feature to the Clip, but, then, who knows?  Rockbox, alternative firmware being developed for the Clip (and other players), might have it; I don’t recall.  You can check at Rockbox,org.

Rockbox does have pan/balance. :wink:

@davva wrote:

Hi Guys.

Many thanks

Davva 

I could have written this, right down to the part about the left ear.  I would love such a feature.

I agree strongly with this potential option, being able to adjust the balance left / right.  Perhaps, a slider under Music Options (after the EQ position).

Being able to step the gain up / down for each channel separately (as a balance control) would be useful for many users.  There are situations when having one earpiece attenuated a bit would be quite convenient.

Is shuffle still a work in progress? I know it’s always been a matter of conversation in the past… but I swear, everytime I start play all anew, it always seems to play in the same general order, not exactly (not a qualitative test or anything) but seemingly…

errr… maybe it’s because since last fw upgrade, I was playing all but w shuffle off. D’oh! They still came across as random, somewhat…

Yep, with Shuffle on, you’ll see that the Clip does a really nice job of playing the tracks in random order.

It is actually much better than a lot of the other music players I have tried, both on computers or standalone players.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I tag like this:

• Artist and Album both the name of the speaker

• Songtitle the name of the speech

So when I e.g. have some sermons about biblepassages like this:

Matthew tape 1

Matthew tape 1B

Matthew tape 2

Matthew tape 2B

Mark tape 1

Mark tape1B

They show up something like this:

Matthew tape 1B

Matthew tape 2B

Mark tape 1

Matthew tape 1

Mark tape 1

Matthew tape 2

I just can’t see any logic in the way the Clip orders the files. Sometimes the files are neatly grouped together for some files on a row – so the Clip is able to do it. It just doesn’t do it consistently…

I am aware of the problem with numbers exceeding 10 (the 01, 02, … enumeration thing). If that were the only thing going on I would have figured it out. 

Anyone have ideas for me? Or can someone point me to the Sansa bugwatch?

Message Edited by DFreeze on 05-22-2009 05:48 AM

You’re right, the sorting doesn’t look right.  My suggestion is to put in track number tags.  THe Clip user manual has nothing to say about ordering playback by title.

THere are plenty of players and taggers on the PC such as Foobar2000 that will let you sort tracks by name then add track number tags.

I would rename them so that Matthew tape 1B is actually called Matthew tape 2  or so that its 1A and try that.