Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.09

Hey, being able to see my current Audible book chapter is a nice repair.

The maximum volume issue us one of those EU requirements, SanDisk has to comply with the same limitations as everyone else.  Personally, I fail to see how applying a volume limit can really work all that well, as IEMs are so much more sensitive.  Legislating solutions for basic human (well, most likely teenage) stupidity are futile; it’s better to twack the kid on the head when you can hear the earbuds from 20 meters away.  When my daughter has the volume too high, I always intervene (she likes the open are type, so they are easy to hear).

It’s far better to teach your children about the dangers of hearing loss.  That way, when they join the Marines later in life, they can enjoy the report of a 105mm Howitzer in its full splendor.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-13-2010 11:57 PM

@conversionbox wrote:

The Second part is the most important part of what I said. I have noticed in the past that many people have expectations of what a firmware update should be as opposed to what it is. Which is that it is a package of Fixes for bugs and improvements to major issues with the players, with enhancements as a bonus. 

So once again I apologize and will make the original post right. 

No problem, since I’m french speaking I’m not sure I understand everything all the time! :smiley: 

I do agree with the second part. For the use I have of the Clip+ there’s only a few things I would change.

With this firmware version, I found a way to freeze the Sansa Clip+.

This is how to reproduce it:

Press the power button.

Start listen music.

Go in the “Settings /  System settings / Backlight”.

Set value to 10 seconds.

Confirm and wait.

Result:

The sansa logo show on the screen and freeze (No buttons respond anymore).

Sometime the Sansa reset.  I know it is a reset because I lost my last configuration change.

Otherwise I need to resset myself by pressing and holding the power button.

jcourcel wrote:

With this firmware version, I found a way to freeze the Sansa Clip+.

This is how to reproduce it:

Press the power button.

Start listen music.

Go in the “Settings /  System settings / Backlight”.

Set value to 10 seconds.

Confirm and wait.

Result:

The sansa logo show on the screen and freeze (No buttons respond anymore).

Sometime the Sansa reset.  I know it is a reset because I lost my last configuration change.

Otherwise I need to resset myself by pressing and holding the power button.

We have tested this and confirmed it is a bug in this release. The bug does not occur if you exit the settings menu before the back light times out. As a work around we would suggest exiting the setting menu after changing back light settings before allowing the back light to time out. We would like to thank you for your feedback.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

yes, the high volume option was removed if Europe is selected as the region. I contacted sandisk support and ask why and was told it was done to comply with European law.

But you can always reinstall new firmware and change region settings to avoid this problem.

1 Turn USB Mode in Clip+ to MSC Mode

2 Download the firmware: http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/clipplus/clipplus01.02.09.zip

3 Unpack clppa.bin file to root folder in your player (it’s main folder)

4 Disconnect Clip+ to install the firmware

5 After installation choose your language and select region preferences to North America or Rest of world (not Europe!)

Enjoy new firmware with high volume!!!

Thanks a lot for your quick respond.

Regards

Hello EU and the Nanny state. Are you sure TB didn’t get his place as the new EU president (By TB I’m refering to Tony, not the disease…)?

Any who, if I do decide to by one of these once the price has dropped (I ain’t paying full price until they fix the appalling power drop when decoding Vorbis - ffmpeg’s decoder works on par with mp3 on mobile devices, so there is no reason why your decoder can’t be made more efficient if not as good, if nothing else make it clear on the specs that Vorbis playback is only a light hearted joke).

Yes, I’m bitter. It’s a fantastic MP3 player, but I payed for a Vorbis player with ~15 hours battery (would have settled for 11+) not 4 - 5 hours playback.

My complaint is with management and marketing (Sandisk, please don’t feel singled out, I mean in general), not the engineering team. I’m guessing you don’t have enough time to finish the product before it’s on the shelves, you must work 12 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week (or else get treated like ■■■■) and if anyone flags up an error they have just spotted with the device it is clearly their fault the error is there in the first place (despite the product having finished all prototyping before you joined the company). Oh, and are informed that taking time off when ill will see you out of a job.

I’ve digressed,  it looks like most of the world (excluding Japan) use 88 - 108 MHz for FM broadcast, can this be confirmed for the USA please, as I’m not too pleased with the concept of restricted volume.

Also, Sandisk, have you been able to confirm the out of calibration battery indicator problem please? If so, is there an expected fix at some point in the future (no I’ll not hold you to the answer of yes, I’m not into binding contracts when people are just trying to supply information).

@w_w wrote:

yes, the high volume option was removed if Europe is selected as the region. I contacted sandisk support and ask why and was told it was done to comply with European law.

But you can always reinstall new firmware and change region settings to avoid this problem.

I was about to ask what effect this might have on the behaviour of the FM radio (tuning steps - I think the tuning varies between the US and other regions), but I seem to recall that when I first switched on the (then new) Clip+ and was prompted for the region, I’m sure I chose “Rest of World” - I don’t remember seeing a Europe option.

So it’s likely that I could choose “Rest of World” again and keep the volume settings as before? Cool.

@dihenydd wrote:

… (I ain’t paying full price until they fix the appalling power drop when decoding Vorbis - ffmpeg’s decoder works on par with mp3 on mobile devices, so there is no reason why your decoder can’t be made more efficient if not as good, if nothing else make it clear on the specs that Vorbis playback is only a light hearted joke).

Well, there is a reason: mobiles have faster processors and bigger batteries (and still need charging every 2-3 days) so they can comfortably do all the decoding in software.

And FFmpeg consumes about 300W 'cos it runs on my PC; how long would it run on a 290mAh battery? 12 seconds?

I’m fairly certain the Clip+ decodes MP3 in hardware. Other formats can be done in software but not as efficiently, so it needs more effort from the CPU. That’s why .ogg drains the battery faster.

Yes, I’m bitter. It’s a fantastic MP3 player, but I payed for a Vorbis player with ~15 hours battery (would have settled for 11+) not 4 - 5 hours playback.

My complaint is with management and marketing (Sandisk, please don’t feel singled out, I mean in general), not the engineering team. I’m guessing you don’t have enough time to finish the product before it’s on the shelves, you must work 12 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week (or else get treated like ■■■■) and if anyone flags up an error they have just spotted with the device it is clearly their fault the error is there in the first place (despite the product having finished all prototyping before you joined the company). Oh, and are informed that taking time off when ill will see you out of a job.

Unfortunately for you, it is an MP3 player, because MP3s are what the vast majority want to play, so that’s what it’s optimised for.

OGG and FLAC are nice tickbox items for the 5-10% of people who use them, but nobody actually sells an “OGG player”.

I don’t think there can be many players under £100 that can play OGG, and you won’t find an iPod at any price that supports those formats (unfinished iPhone apps don’t count).

I will concede that the product appears to have been rushed, and that’s probably been done to get as many sales as possible before Christmas.

The firmware’s fairly solid, but then most of it was already written, and the battery indicator is a bit of a howler.

Hi

I am finding that the sansa updater is not working.  After installing I find each time I use it, it complains about Flash Player 10 being required for the first page(slot radio). If I click skip this, I am shown a screen showing a message that “Update Service is not Available”.

I have an 8GB Clip+ which I’ve only had a few weeks as a Xmas gift, currently on v1.01.05, UK user.

Regards

J

Update the firmware manually (see the first post in this thread)

@njd wrote:

I was about to ask what effect this might have on the behaviour of the FM radio (tuning steps - I think the tuning varies between the US and other regions), but I seem to recall that when I first switched on the (then new) Clip+ and was prompted for the region, I’m sure I chose “Rest of World” - I don’t remember seeing a Europe option.

You can always chaange the FM Region settings between US and the world, independently of the system region.

Message Edited by W-W on 01-15-2010 10:55 AM

@njd wrote:

@dihenydd wrote:

… (I ain’t paying full price until they fix the appalling power drop when decoding Vorbis - ffmpeg’s decoder works on par with mp3 on mobile devices, so there is no reason why your decoder can’t be made more efficient if not as good, if nothing else make it clear on the specs that Vorbis playback is only a light hearted joke).

Well, there is a reason: mobiles have faster processors and bigger batteries (and still need charging every 2-3 days) so they can comfortably do all the decoding in software.

And FFmpeg consumes about 300W 'cos it runs on my PC; how long would it run on a 290mAh battery? 12 seconds?

I’m fairly certain the Clip+ decodes MP3 in hardware. Other formats can be done in software but not as efficiently, so it needs more effort from the CPU. That’s why .ogg drains the battery faster.

It decodes MP3 in software like everything else on earth.  Hardware MP3 decoders went out with the 90s.  Vorbis battery life ■■■■■ because the decoder Sandisk uses is slow.

saratoga:

Cheers for the info.

njd:

I have to confess I didn’t consider MP3 HW decoding, however, this would never give a 200% efficiency increase over a decent general processor and SW decoder.

Ffmpeg most certainly does NOT need 300W. The TDP (what it is expected to dissipate at power - AMD, so abs. max if the reports are to be believed) of my CPU is 95W - 4 cores. So, at maximum thrust this baby only uses around 25W on a single core - when at max load. decoding a vorbis file is needing < 1% of one core

Ffmpeg on the Nokia N900 reportedly gets ~18hr playback, the same as MP3. libvorbis (made by the same folks of Tremor fame) gets just 10 hours. So this decoding technique IS 2x (ish) as inefficient as it could be.

I would accept 30% battery loss for it being non mature technology with little time for refinement.

My largest gripe, although not clearly stated before is with the way the product is marketed (so to speak*).

15 hours playback and ogg vorbis support.

Now, although they state that the reference is 128kb/s mp3 you would still expect no more than say 2 hour loss of battery life from other formats. Like I say I’d settle for 5 hours loss.

Now, has anyone (including Sandisk) ever got one of these to play for 15 hours? I’d doubt it. It’s probably a theoretical maximum rounded up.

* I would prefer to argue that if marketing states the product does something then it MUST without fail. If it implies something - which it certainly implies it will be less, but only a little bit for battery life under different formats, then it should be close. not 70% loss in performance. However, I’ve been reliably informed of sales departments making up products to sell, just to get the sale. The company doesn’t sell them, but hey, sales dept. figures they can be made. No consideration for if it is technically possible.

On a more cheerful note, a simple NiMH battery pack should be simple to construct to act as a portable power supply. a set of 4 2100mAH cells should provide ~4 full recharges (assuming typically aged batteries and a 500 mA drain - 5 full recharges should be possible in reality). Fresh NiMH x4 would give 5.6V which is above the max for the USB spec (5.25V), but they will sit at 4.8V (USB min is 4.5V) total once they are drained a little until almost flat.

**NOTE:** Let the cells drain before attaching the player (shove them in a torch for a few minutes or something). Also, don’t use alakalies. We can’t assume the players will be happy with >5.25V (although they probably will go somewhat higher :wink:

Have tried looking at using zener diodes, resistors and regulators, but there is no way you can clamp the output below 5.25V when the batteries are at max voltage, and keep them >4.5V when they are at standard voltage

On a much more cheerful note, looking at other mp3 players the clip+ is possibly one of the best on the market IMO (no, not going to be humble, I’m a demanding customer).

Okay, I digressed big time (with shocking English - I’m tired okay). But, great player especially when compared to others on the market. Shame about the Vorbis non-support. Why great? standard USB and 3.5mm jack. Simple intuitive interface. 16GB internal would have been nice, but you can’t win them all and 8 should last me for now.

Message Edited by dihenydd on 01-15-2010 11:14 PM

Message Edited by dihenydd on 01-17-2010 12:46 AM

Message Edited by dihenydd on 01-17-2010 12:47 AM

Is it just me or is sandisk declining in the functionality in their firmware updates?

no way of changing region without reinstalling firmware?

just found out - use restore factory settings button.

I wish I could downgrade - this is a step backwards!!!

My understanding is that the volume level should be an option and not dictated to us.  This is not Eurpoean Law just some think tank coming up with some recommendations.

I was sold a Sansa Clip+ with the appropriate volume and now I haven’t got that.

I think I should have my money back.

If SanDisk go it alone on this one then they won’t be in the MP3 market much longer!!!

SanDisk please get this sorted - loyalty will only stretch so far!!!

@dihenydd wrote:

My largest gripe, although not clearly stated before is with the way the product is marketed (so to speak*).

15 hours playback and ogg vorbis support.

Now, although they state that the reference is 128kb/s mp3 you would still expect no more than say 2 hour loss of battery life from other formats. Like I say I’d settle for 5 hours loss.

Now, has anyone (including Sandisk) ever got one of these to play for 15 hours? I’d doubt it. It’s probably a theoretical maximum rounded up.

I’ve put a good bit of time into optimizing Vorbis decoding in Tremor (which I believe is the decoder Sandisk uses).  If someone at Sandisk is interested in fixing this, i’d be glad to give them (for free) some code under suitable license for incorporation into a commercial product.

PhilM44:

My understanding is that the volume level should be an option and not dictated to us.  This is not Eurpoean Law just some think tank coming up with some recommendations.

I’m no expert on these regulations or laws, but The Register (normally considered trust worthy) claims the French _do_ have a _law_ restricting output. So, they aren’t being entirely unreasonable at Sandisk.

You can set the device to non-EU for standard setup (Reset to factory settings), and then set the radio to the right frequency/step zone (I can’t confirm this at the mo mind, but others claim it is possible).

However, I do feel Sandisk should (if allowed) put the normal/high volume option back - with suitable warning)