Sansa Clip+ audio jack cuts out

The audio jack in my Sansa Clip+ has broken from regular use. If I touch the headphone plug at all, the left audio channel cuts out. I have tested these headphones in several other devices, and tested several other pairs of headphones on my Clip+; the problem is limited to the Clip. It didn’t do this when I first got it, so I’m guessing the connections of simply become loose. Based on the number of people with the same problem I found by Googleing, this seems to be a common problem.

Had anyone had any luck opening up the Clip and remaking some of the connections? I bought it used back in October 2011,so I don’t think I’m under warranty.

Good news:  you ARE still under warranty, 1 year in the U.S. and 2 in the EU.  Telephone SanDisk and ask for a replacement, which it is good about (even covering postage both ways, in the U.S.).   :slight_smile:

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

@ebol4 wrote:

Had anyone had any luck opening up the Clip and remaking some of the connections? I bought it used back in October 2011 ,so I don’t think I’m under warranty.

@miikerman wrote:

Good news:  you ARE still under warranty, 1 year in the U.S. and 2 in the EU.

The Clip+ has been out since 2009 (3 years ago), and if Ebol4 bought it used in 2011 it’s questionable whether it is still under warranty, as I believe coverage is only for the original owner.

But it would certainly be worth a phone call to find out.

Headphone jack failure is not that common on this model; at least not like it was on the old e200 series which had faulty and sub-standard solder joints. Of course, a lot depends on the usage; using a straight plug (as opposed to a right-angle plug) will put a lot more strain on the jack. Headphone jack stress and the resulting failure is probably the most common reason for the demise of any mp3 player, not just this model.

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Good news:  you ARE still under warranty, 1 year in the U.S. and 2 in the EU.

The Clip+ has been out since 2009 (3 years ago), and if Ebol4 bought it used in 2011 it’s questionable whether it is still under warranty, as I believe coverage is only for the original owner.

The Clip+ still is available and being sold as a new, unused player, including by Amazon.com.  If a new unit, Ebol4’s player is covered by the SanDisk warranty.

My bad:  I missed where Ebol4 had said, “I bought it used . . . .”  Unless the player is within the 1-year warranty period from the original (first) purchase date (and, potentially, you have the original purchase receipt, if SanDisk asks for it), the warranty won’t apply at this point.