Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade Pen Drive - memory capacity issue

Hi,

i have bought Sandisk 16GB Cruzer Blade Pen Drive recently.

i am seeing only 14.8GB free space in pendrive.

It shows 14.8GB free Space in the disk,eventhough it has been formatted

1.2 gb is in loss now. dont know whats happening here.

Please let me know any solution for this

Thanks for ur time 

Drives, whether hard drives or USB drives, have space overhead when they are formated.  There are unused bytes between the segments and clusters and bytes used for the File Allocation Table and bytes held in reserve to recover from damaged bytes as they occur over time.

The overview image at the top of this link shows a rough idea of how a formated drive looks.  But it doesn’t show the slack bytes between the custers.

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/fat16/

Also there is a difference between marketing speak and actual memroy space. 14.8GB sounds right for a 16GB drive.

Oh, there are indeed 16G bytes on the device.  They just can’t all be used for pc files directly.  There’s overhead involved in making the bytes into a pc format.

Windows and the motherboard views it differently/ IF you look at BIOS, you would see the whole 16Gb. But it’s different in Windows. Thats normal. 

Dear Friend ,

Your question is right , but you need to understand and learn defination of GB in term of market and your PC.

Your PC says 1GB = 1.073741824 Billion bytes where

Market Defines 1 GB = 1.00 Billion bytes.

So you bought 16GB from market = 16 * 1 bn bytes = 14.8 * 1.073741824 bn bytes = 14.8 GB on you PC…!!!

Very simple maths…!!!

:laughing:    14.8 * 1 bn bytes = 14.8 GB also.