Replay Gain for AAC files

Hi there, 

is it possible to use Replay Gain for AAC files on the Fuze+? 

Thanks for help

Unkissedfrog

I think you’ll find your question answered here:

Replay Gain: A How-To Informational

I suppose yes? that article talks about formats (all) supported by the sansa fuze NOT plus, so I suppose it works with AAC on the new sansa too

@_sandro wrote:

I suppose yes? that article talks about formats (all) supported by the sansa fuze NOT plus, so I suppose it works with AAC on the new sansa too

You suppose incorrectly. If you read the article/post, it does not list AAC and specifically says no DRM-crippled file formats are supported.

[Quote] The Sansa’s implementation was tested to work for all of its supported non-DRM formats (MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC) using MediaMonkey. [End-Quote]

[Quote] Replay Gain for DRM Protected tracks (ie Rhapsody / Napster/ Netlibrary/ Audible) as well as SanDisk SlotRadio content is not supported. [End-Quote]

1- why wouldn’t it work on AAC files if it works on ALL the other formats? that article was written in 2009 when fuzev1 was out and AAC files were not played at all

2- AAC files per se are not DMRed so I dont understand why you’re making “non-DMR files” part in bold

That’s exactly the point. The fact that they arn’t DRM’ed means that they should work just fine.

-sandro- wrote:

1- why wouldn’t it work on AAC files if it works on ALL the other formats?

From Wikipedia on the subject of ReplayGain:

• .aac (Advanced Audio Coding raw format) – No metadata support (use .mp4 instead)

AAC is the codec

@tapeworm wrote:

@_sandro wrote:

1- why wouldn’t it work on AAC files if it works on ALL the other formats?

From Wikipedia on the subject of ReplayGain:

• .aac (Advanced Audio Coding raw format) – No metadata support (use .mp4 instead)

You’re confusing AAC (the format) with .aac (the file extension for a raw AAC transport stream).  .aac files cannot use replaygain directly since they do not have a container, but conventional AAC files come in a container and thus do support Replaygain.

I have no idea if the Fuze+ supports replaygain on AAC files though.  Probably not though.  

@saratoga wrote:

You’re confusing AAC (the format) with .aac (the file extension for a raw AAC transport stream).  .aac files cannot use replaygain directly since they do not have a container, but conventional AAC files come in a container and thus do support Replaygain.

I have no idea if the Fuze+ supports replaygain on AAC files though.  Probably not though.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the only way to find out if the it works on the Fuze+ since there is no documentation one way or the other, is for someone to try it and see.

Is it possible to use Replay Gain for AAC files?

@bryan88 wrote:

Is it possible to use Replay Gain for AAC files?

That’s exactly my question. To correct my first post: I wanted to know, if it is possible to use replay gain for AAC coded MP4 Files. I tried a lot of things (including MediaMonkey) and I could not notice any effect. I turned on replay gain for file an album and nothing happend. There is still a noticable volume difference between my musik files…