Removing Roxkbox

I thought I would try Rockbox on a new Clip Zip. Installation is straightforward. Removal using the Rockbox utility is incomplete, it doesn’t tell you that the final power up requires the original firmware boot (left button while powering up). I figured this out, it sort of has to be that way since the modified firmware will still be in control until replaced, but the manual should have mentioned this.

For installation, use the Rockbox utility. For removal, just copy the original firmware to the root of the clip then boot to the original firmware. I would remove the card to avoid spurious media refresh (you will get one when you replace the card). Since I didn’t have anything on the unit, I did a format. Otherwise you might want to manually remove Rockbox stuff.

As far as Rockbox itself, I can see why others might like it, but for me the menu text is too small. I bought the clip zip for improved fm, apart from that I dont see much difference between between the models. FM on the clip zip is easier than with Rockbox. Music menus are marginally better with Rockbox. The biggest plus with Rockbox is better refresh, but I rarely do much in this area.

@dave61430 wrote:

As far as Rockbox itself, I can see why others might like it, but for me the menu text is too small.

You know you can change the font and size in the options, right? As well as download different themes for different looks and/or information displayed?

I didn’t see anything about size of font, I did change to another font but it was same size. To tell the truth, I spent very little time with it. I might fire it up on my clip+ and play with it since it’s very easy to install and remove. In particular, I would like to try out the voice commands, that would be a big plus for outdoor use.

Do check out and skim the Rockbox manual, available at the Rockbox website–very handy for explaining all the intricacies.