Radio Antenna?

I’m guessing that the earphone cable acts as the radio antenna on a Fuze.

I would like to be able to listen to the radio through a set of docking speakers (PowerTraveller K2000, on order) connected via a short lead to the jack point. 

As my cable of choice will be short (6in/15cm or 12in/30cm) I wonder whether it will be long enough to pick up a signal, and lying in a horizontal plane it may not provide decent reception.

Does anyone have any experiences that they can share?

Thanks

@belgarum wrote:

I’m guessing that the earphone cable acts as the radio antenna on a Fuze.

I would like to be able to listen to the radio through a set of docking speakers (PowerTraveller K2000, on order) connected via a short lead to the jack point. 

As my cable of choice will be short (6in/15cm or 12in/30cm) I wonder whether it will be long enough to pick up a signal, and lying in a horizontal plane it may not provide decent reception.

Does anyone have any experiences that they can share?

Thanks

I have a 30 inch cable that provides adequate reception for me, but I haven’t tried one as short as you describe. There’s plenty of variables though…distance from the station, etc.

Its just a guess; but if I had to guess I would say that the wiring inside the dock and the power cord (if it has one) will help.

If the Fuze uses the headphone cable as a dipole antenna, then 30 inches is about right. You may not pick up lower frequency stations as well with a shorter cable. If you’re in a suburban area without a lot of obstructions (buildings, mountains, etc.) then it may not make a whole lot of difference either way.

@qualityaudio wrote:
If the Fuze uses the headphone cable as a dipole antenna, then 30 inches is about right. You may not pick up lower frequency stations as well with a shorter cable. If you’re in a suburban area without a lot of obstructions (buildings, mountains, etc.) then it may not make a whole lot of difference either way.

The 30 inch cable I have used is actually one of the interconnect cables that came with my FiiO E5. That gives my Fuze and Clip better radio reception than my alarm clock, for the nights I fall asleep to the BBC feed on public radio. The 90 minute sleep time is ideal…by the time I’ve heard the relevant items of the day, I’m starting to doze off, and after I fall asleep, the Fuze/Clip shuts itself off.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 07-06-2009 06:30 PM

You can also plug in a Y-adaptor for the headphone jack, and string a basic 30-inch patch cable (not connected at the other end) as the antenna.  Be sure that the open end of the cable doesn’t make contact with anything with a small loop of tape to insulate it.

The other jack of the adaptor is for your 6-inch patch cable.

I’ve used this bare knuckles setup to test the FM reception in the office- it works well.

µsansa

Thanks for the replies.

The unit comes with a fairly long interconnect cable but, as is often the case, it’s likely to be of poor quality so I was hoping to use one or other of my high quality cables both for quality and neatness.

I’ll try it out when the unit arrives and report back.

Thanks again

Hi again,

My PowerTraveller K2000 arrived this morning.

VERY good bit of kit with excellent sound quality for its size.

I can report that I picked up (here in the UK) BBC Radio 4 with excellent reception using just a 6 inch/15cm cable, so my fears are allayed.  I don’t often listen to other stations so haven’t tried others.

For anyone considering the PowerTraveller K2000, I can heartily recommend it.  I paid £30 including shipping here in the UK.

Cheers,