Putting Videos on my Fuze

Hi… I am having problems putting regular Windows Media Player videos on my sansa fuze. I was wondering why it is doing that. I simply drag a video into my video folder but it never comes up in my mp3 player…anybody know what format the videos are in on a sansa fuze ?

• Thanks

I just added a review for the Fuze on Amazon that included info about transferring videos.  So, I’ll just copy and paste what I wrote from there to here.

First of all videos have to be in mp4 format in order for the Fuze to be able to recognize them. Additionally, you have to use the Sansa Media Converter (which IIRC you have to download) to transfer those files onto the Fuze before they will work. That’s because the converter creates a metadata file called a thm file which gives the Fuze additional information that instructs it to play on your Fuze. So, you actually have two files added to your Fuze when adding videos, the video file itself (mp4) and the thm file. Your Fuze must be plugged into you computer in order for the Sansa Media Converter to work. Also, in order to successfully add the mp4 videos into the converter, you should close any extra video playing software. I’ve found in particular that having BSplayer open while trying to add causes problems for the converter. So close all media players. Another note on videos, there is third party software which will convert various media formats to mp4 format. DVDVideoSoft Free Studio is one such free utility. You just add you avi or wmv file (or whatever) to the utility using the video to iPod converter function. That will convert your video to mp4 format. From there you use the Sansa converter to transfer the new mp4 to your Fuze. If you have a fussy mp4 file that won’t transfer to your Fuze for some reason, just run it through the video to iPod converter and use this newly created mp4 file for transfer to your Fuze. I’ve only had that happen a couple of times, but it works. When the native memory on your Fuze becomes full, you may still want to transfer videos onto your Fuze via your memory card. Not a problem. Just use the Sansa converter as before. What will happen is that since your native memory is full the converter will tell you that the process has failed. That’s not completely true. It has failed to write the video onto the native memory, but it has still generated the video and thm file. The thm file, if you still had a little space left in native memory, is probably in the video folder of your Fuze native memory. Just go to that folder and do a cut and paste of the thm file from the native memory to a designated folder on your memory card. The video is still on your computer’s hard drive. Go to Users/[your user folder]/Documents/ Sansa Media Converter. Your video is in the Sansa folder. Just cut and paste it from that folder to the folder on you memory card where you put the thm file. Voilá, your video is now on your memory card, and your Fuze will see it just as if it were on native memory. You can also cut and paste videos, music, etc. from native memory and put it on your memory card if you want to make more room on native memory.

As far as videos freezing, IIRC it may have been a problem early on when I was trying to have the converter go straight from avi to transferring onto the Fuze. I think it has to do with having the converter try to do two things instead of one. When you try to get it to both convert to mp4 and transfer over to the Fuze, you end up with multiple problems. The converter software is really best to be used only as a means for transferring already converted mp4 files onto the Fuze. Once I started using the process that I documented above, the freezing completely went away. I’ve had my Fuze for months since early this year, and I haven’t had a freezing problem since I started following the above process. Also, using that process makes transfer of videos a lot faster than when I was trying to convert and transfer at the same time. I haven’t had any problem converting any video file regardless of size, resolution or frame rate since using the above process.

Does that make sense?

Thanks! It helped alot!

Thanks for your time!

You’re welcome. :smiley:

The thm file is nothing more than a convenient screenshot “thumbnail” from the beginning of your transferred video.  When a video is transferred to the Fuze, this little thumbnail is added for your GUI.

The Fuze likes AVI format video.

To download the Sansa Media Converter, you must first install the Sansa Updater.  Next, plug in your Fuze, and open the Updater (if it does not open, no worries, this means your Fuze is up to date).  You can manually start the Updater via Programs > SanDisk> Sansa Updater.

The Updater will take a moment, with the “checking for updates” message.  The User Guide and Sansa Media Converter will then be available; click on the box next to the Media Converter, and download the application.

There’s an alternative method of loading video to the Fuze, look in the forums here for “Video4Fuze”.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-04-2009 07:50 PM

I looked on the properties tab for the videos on my Fuze, and it would seem that they are avi files.  However, while my Fuze may like avi files, my Sansa Media Converter was not consistently liking avi files.  I’ve looked a bit on this forum, and it seems that there are other ways of getting your videos on there, but the way that I outlined above is the way that has consistently worked for me without any problems.  I had tried putting avi files directly on my Fuze, and I had even tried doing a straight transfer of the avi files using the Sansa converter.  The avi directly to Fuze didn’t work for me, and using the Sansa converter to put avi files on there was pretty hit and miss.  Even when it managed to do it, the process was slow as molasses, and I was having freezing issues even when it did work. Converting to mp4 before transferring with the Sansa converter may seem a bit of a round about way of getting it done, but it does get the job done and gets it done in an expedient manner. 

would iPod video files work on a sansa

?

just wondering…

-thanks

Everything has to go through the converter or video4fuze.

8gbSansaFuze wrote:

?

just wondering…

-thanks

8gbSansaFuze wrote:

?

just wondering…

-thanks

Does this answer your question? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello:

I have a Sansa View and I use DVDfab to convert my files (works great!).  I have an iTouch also so and I am able to use the same files I convert for my iTouch which are mp4.  For the View I am able to just copy and paste them into the videos file on the View and it works great.

My neighbor just bought a couple of Fuzes for her kids for Christmas and I told her I could put movies on them for her.  I am copying and pasting the same files I have on my view and they are going into her folder but when I try to open them on her Fuze, her video folder is empty.  If there was a problem, I would think the Fuze would just tell me incompatible format but they are not even showing up on her Fuze.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Indeed!  Despite all of the troubles described with the Sansa View, the one thing it excels at is portability with video.  There’s a very nice NVIDIA chipset in there that has good capabilities with video.

The Fuze can play those MP4 videos, as long as they are run through the Sansa Media Converter first, to place the AVI video in a proper “container” that the Fuze is happy with.

The View has the capability to decode those videos on its own. 

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Bob:

Thank you for your reply.  Right now I am wishing I told my neighbor to buy the View.  It’s quirky but at least it works with MP4.  I still find it odd that they are not even showing up in my Fuze though and just not playing because they weren’t in the right format.  On my PC, the Fuze is recognized and the video is there but on the Fuze itself, the folder is empty.

I had no luck with the Sansa Media converter when I first got my View, then I realized I didn’t need it and never used it again.  I am hoping it’s better now. 

So, if I have this right, you are saying to take one of my MP4s and run it through the media converter and then the Fuze will see it?  I will try that.

I have a few .avi files on my PC so I tried to load those.  They did not play either (didn’t go through SMC though) but at least my Fuze saw them and just wouldn’t play. The MP4s just show an empty folder, not recognized at all.

Thank you again for the feedback.  I will try it ASAP and let you know if it works.   

The View is made for video. The Fuze is for music and begrudgingly plays video.

Instead of Sansa Media Converter you can also convert videos with Rhapsody (version 4) or with the homemade video4fuze, at this thread:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=31437

Thank you!  I saw your post after I found this product on another post.  I just downloaded it and am going to try it next.

Here’s my question with both programs–I have to load multiple Fuzes with the same movies so I am working on one Fuze now with SMC, I see it converts and is on a Fuze but I don’t see it on my hard drive anywhere.  Do I have to re-convert these same movies for every Fuze I am loading?  That would not be fun.  I will try the other program as soon as this one is done converting.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

Mleber wrote:

Here’s my question with both programs–I have to load multiple Fuzes with the same movies so I am working on one Fuze now with SMC, I see it converts and is on a Fuze but I don’t see it on my hard drive anywhere.  Do I have to re-convert these same movies for every Fuze I am loading?

As long as you’re woprking with 2 Fuzes, just use SMC to convert and install the videos onto 1 of them. Then copy that converted file back to your hard drive (from the Fuze).

No you can save an already converted version for re-copying to the other Fuze or simply for back-up.

Tapeworm:

Thanks!  That makes sense, I should have figured that out.  Video 4 Fuze seems to be working just fine and automatically saves it to your hard drive.  Do you not like to use that program?  New to having to use this since my View doesn’t need SMC.  Just trying to do a neighbor a favor and it’s turning into quite a project but I would like to figure out the most efficient way to do this.  Your input on SMC vs. Video4Fuze would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Mleber wrote:

Tapeworm:

Thanks!  That makes sense, I should have figured that out.  Video 4 Fuze seems to be working just fine and automatically saves it to your hard drive.  Do you not like to use that program?  New to having to use this since my View doesn’t need SMC.  Just trying to do a neighbor a favor and it’s turning into quite a project but I would like to figure out the most efficient way to do this.  Your input on SMC vs. Video4Fuze would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

I haven’t had the need or opportunity to try out video4fuze yet, so can’t comment on it. I converted a bunch of videos from DVD’s a while back, filled up several 4GB cards and haven’t needed to convert any since.

Plus the fact that my Fuze is more-or-less on permanent loan-out to my daughter since she dropped her iPod into an aquarium. I told her it was one of the smartest things she’s ever done. :stuck_out_tongue:

Tapeworm wrote:

Mleber wrote:

Tapeworm:

Thanks again!

I haven’t had the need or opportunity to try out video4fuze yet, so can’t comment on it. I converted a bunch of videos from DVD’s a while back, filled up several 4GB cards and haven’t needed to convert any since.

Plus the fact that my Fuze is more-or-less on permanent loan-out to my daughter since she dropped her iPod into an aquarium. I told her it was one of the smartest things she’s ever done. :stuck_out_tongue:

Admit it, you’re a hitman…you sent her iPod to sleep with the fishes!:wink:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  Both SMC and video4fuze both seem to transfer my mp4s into the proper format so I will keep fooling around and see which one works better.  The vide4fuze might be a little faster.  I put 6 movies in the que for V4F and it took a couple of hours to do them all but they look to be ok.  I know everyone makes fun of iPods on this site but I have to tell you, my iTouch is not quirky like these Sansa devices.  I use the View for movies for my 6 year old and sometimes it just freezes, crashes, white screens.  I have had this Fuze in my hands for a few days and it’s been white-screening also.  These are great because they can be plugged in anywhere and seen like an external storage device unlike my iTouch but I have never had any problems with it in two years.  No freezes, nothing frustrating.

Anyway, thanks to all for responding!